Skip to main content

Jumped in front of the Vikings to Steal him!
Player Bio
The son of former Tennessee and NFL quarterback Tee Martin nearly signed with USC, where Martin was coaching at that time. He decided to move from Knoxville to Clemson, however, as a top-100 national recruit and two-time Tennessee Mr. Football Award winner. Rodgers played in 14 games as a true freshman (19 receptions, 123 yards, 6.5 average; two punt returns, 15 yards, 7.5 average) before moving into the starting lineup for all 15 games during the team's national championship season. He garnered honorable mention All-ACC honors as an all-purpose player in 2018 (55 receptions, 575 yards, 10.5 average, four touchdowns; 39 punt returns, 299 yards, 7.7 average, one touchdown). Rodgers suffered a torn ACL the following March but only missed one game of his junior year (10 starts in 14 appearances) to garner honorable mention all-conference accolades as a receiver (30 receptions, 426 yards, 14.2 average, four touchdowns) and all-purpose player (18 punt returns, 151 yards, 8.4 average, two rushes, 50 yards, one touchdown). With the departure of Tee Higgins and the loss of Justyn Ross due to injury, Rodgers became Trevor Lawrence's top target in 2020, leading the Tigers with 77 receptions and 1,020 receiving yards (13.3 per) while tying for the team lead with seven touchdown catches. The first-team All-ACC selection also scored once as a rusher (2-50-25.0) and returned punts (nine returns, 64 yards, 7.1 average). He accepted an invitation to the Senior Bowl. -- by Chad Reuter
Overview

Compact slot target who thrived at Clemson with his ability to create chunk plays out of short catch-and-runs and take the top off defenses with his speed. Rodgers has a running back's stout lower body, providing power and balance to break tackles and rumble through contact with the ball in his hands. His ball skills are pretty good, but he can go from magnificent catch to focus drop in a single drive. Rodgers uses speed alterations inside the route and a sudden burst to top speed to create deep separation from coverage. He's not as effective at separating underneath against tight man coverage and will need to prove himself in that regard.
Strengths
  • Very strong, with compact body type.
  • Came back from ACL tear in 166 days, exemplifying work ethic.
  • Sets up cornerbacks with clever alterations of route speed.
  • Can get to top speed very quickly.
  • Plus ball-tracking and focus to catch the 50-50 ball.
  • Second gear to chase down the deep ball.
  • Natural footwork in adjusting to off-target tosses.
  • Stabs it out of air with sudden hands.
  • Able to slip or break first tackle after catch.
  • Pull-away speed in the open field.
  • Capable of handling punt return duties.
  • Competitive nature is above average.
Weaknesses
  • Needs to prove he can deal with NFL press.
  • Inconsistent early vertical push off the snap.
  • Has a tendency to rush through route fakes.
  • Average foot agility getting in and out of breaks.
  • Shorter arms with some tightness in upper body.
  • Loss of catch concentration at times in 2018 and 2020.
  • Needs to keep working to find softest spots in zone for quarterback.
Sources Tell Us

"I love his value because you can play him like San Francisco uses Deebo Samuel, but he has the strength and speed to line up outside, too." -- Area scout for NFC team

Prospect Grade

Last edited by Boris
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

SCOUTING REPORT

Rodgers has a short, thick frame with a muscular lower half. A former four-star recruit, he’s the son of former NFL player Tee Martin and won the Tennessee Mr. Football award twice at Knoxville Catholic High. Rodgers was a three-year contributor for the Tigers and broke out as the team’s leading pass catcher in 2020, reeling in 77 passes for 1,020 yards and seven touchdowns. He’s a dynamic athlete who plays with incredible balance and body control. He has the ability to go up in the air, twist, pluck the football, and land before making his way downfield in one smooth motion. He has good hands to catch the ball away from his frame and shows no fear catching the ball in traffic.

Rodgers has very good start-stop quickness, and is a powerful runner in the open field. He is made of cement, and would-be tacklers regularly slip or bounce off him. He stiff-arms opponents, shows the burst to obliterate defenders’ pursuit angles, and is elusive in the short area, bobbing, weaving, and shrugging off arm tackle attempts. Unsurprisingly, teams asked Rodgers to go through some running back drills at Clemson’s pro day, and he looked like a natural. He’ll likely remain a receiver at the next level, but he brings intriguing versatility to line up all over the formation. Rodgers is also a dangerous punt and kick returner.

Rodgers suffered a torn ACL in spring football prior to the 2019 season, but showed Wolverine-like Healing Factor and returned to the field after approximately five months. He does lack size and length, though, and his catch radius leaves something to be desired. He’s quick, but isn’t an elite burner. He has a few drops on tape, and he may be limited to slot duties at the next level.

WHY HE COULD RISE

Rodgers is a versatile playmaker with the ball in his hands; he’s fearless over the middle of the field, breaks tackles, and brings the versatility to be deployed out of the backfield.

@CUPackFan posted:

Dang just looked him up and he's 5' 9 1/2" 212 lbs.  Runs a 4.49 too.  Dude is a RB playing WR.  Should fit nicely in the slot.

MLF will probably use him like he did Swerve, only even more so.  I expect this kid to be all over the field on any given play.

@ByRyanWood: Amari Rodgers on why family thought GB would draft him: "Just the fit. Since Randall Cobb left, everybody in my family felt like they didn't have a slot receiver like him." His dad, Tee Martin, was Randall Cobb's position coach at Kentucky.

@CUPackFan posted:

Dang just looked him up and he's 5' 9 1/2" 212 lbs.  Runs a 4.49 too.  Dude is a RB playing WR.  Should fit nicely in the slot.

He's going to motion out of the backfield or the slot too, defining the match up pre-snap.

Post-Draft Analysis

Amari Rodgers would seemingly be a great fit for Aaron Rodgers, if he's Green Bay's quarterback. Or he could be a security blanket for Jordan Love if the Packers turn things over to him. Either way, think of Randall Cobb meets Ty Montgomery meets Tyler Ervin -- a slot receiver who can line up just about everywhere, including the backfield. Coach Matt LaFleur can use Amari Rodgers in his pre-snap motion plays as either a decoy or a primary target. -- Rob Demovsky

Gute said their choice in the 2nd round was between either Myers or Rodgers.  They decided to choose Myers and then started looking to trade up to get Rodgers.  So they're pretty high on the guy.

Last edited by vitaflo

Once Rondale Moore was gone, Rodgers was the next best guy for the Ervin role. Beyond that, those guys had serious question marks. Looking at the guys that were drafted after Rodgers, for what the Packers needed (OT, CB depth) not sure 3rd round was the best value. Does ND Robert Hainey, or Syracuse CB/S Ifeatu Melifonwu, Michigan CB Ambry Thomas make your team better than Amari Rodgers? Probably not.

@ammo posted:

A WR in a RB body?  Ty Montgomery?  I hope he is better than that.

I think that's a legitimate comparison in some ways, but where he could potentially be better than Montgomery is maybe as a guy who tracks the ball better downfield.

I think Montgomery was switched to RB partially due to need, and partly because his ball tracking skills were not real good.   And Montgomery's biggest weakness was that he just couldn't stay healthy.  It's kind of sad that he got scapegoated for that 2018 Rams game as that was a crappy team that had problems far beyond him. 

Let's hope Rodgers can stay healthier than Ty did, and let's hope he's never hung out to dry for one bad mistake.  Hopefully he never makes any mistakes. 

@Boris posted:

The Vikings wanted Amari.

Cue price is right loser song

Yeah, the vikings wanted Amari and when we moved up to take him, the vikings, in their vindictive style, grabbed Wyatt Davis, grandson of Willie Davis, to send some sort of message, I guess?

@PackerHawk posted:

Well they did share a locker room so I'll take his word for it.

I like this pick.  With the physical skills and production at a top program, he's also the son of a coach and former NFL player, so have to assume this guy is a smart player and understands what he getting into in the NFL.  So this shouldn't be too big for him. 

Packers haven't had a real slot WR since Cobb and this guy fits the bill and more.  I'm guessing we'll see him lined up in the backfield and used in pre-snap motion.  LeFleur has to be excited to use a guy like this.   We'll also see him on punt returns. 

@PackerHawk posted:

???? He has 30” arms for what it’s worth and is 5’9”. I like the pick, but I think ‘coach speak’ is trying to sell something.

I will add...there were plenty of experts that panned the selection of Randall Cobb...an option QB, in the 2nd round, to play the slot. Truth of the matter is, you just don't know about a player until you know.

I admit there’s part of me that’s surprised Gutenhuffer went for a hobbit but he’s stout enough he should be able to block downfield when the need arises. Plus ACTUAL RETURN SKILLS!

Last edited by Herschel

I like the fact that it gives us a WR who has a much different skill set than anyone we've had since Cobb .... Gunt admitted in his presser that they've been looking for this type of guy for a couple of year.

I gave you a thumbs down because I think Montgomery was a selfish fool, physically talented but a head case, as exhibited by his behavior in that Ram game I attended.

This Rodgers won't be that stupid.

@YATittle posted:

I gave you a thumbs down because I think Montgomery was a selfish fool, physically talented but a head case, as exhibited by his behavior in that Ram game I attended.

This Rodgers won't be that stupid.

You couldn't even understand I hope he is better than Ty?  JFC.   You'd be better off if you just quit with all the likes, dislikes and roll eyes if you can't understand what I meant.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.