Skip to main content

More churn. Packers claim 2 players

@ByRyanWood: Based on yesterday's 53-man roster layout, you knew there would be more moves coming. #Packers claimed S Zayne Anderson from Bills and TE Ben Sims from Vikings, per transaction wire. Corresponding move unclear.

Last edited by ilcuqui

@RobDemovsky:  The Packers are releasing ILB Tariq Carpenter, according to a source. That's one of the moves to make room for a waiver claim.

IMO he’ll be on the PS tomorrow  

@ilcuqui posted:

@RobDemovsky:  The Packers are releasing ILB Tariq Carpenter, according to a source. That's one of the moves to make room for a waiver claim.

IMO he’ll be on the PS tomorrow  

Betting Emanuel Wilson is headed to the PS, as well, to make room for the waiver guys.

At most Gutey kicking tires to see what's up. Colts probably asked for first rounder or multiple firsts and Gutey laughed.

1 thing I'll say is he's only 24 years old. So THAT part makes sense. Aaron Jones is great but he isn't getting any younger and RBs get dinged up later in the season. 

Cool....got another Safety to work into practice from the Bills. Has to be someone available

Last edited by Boris

I believe the Packers at least took a look and Dillon was part of the deal. Dillon really hasn't been as good as I thought he would be. Also, 22 of the 24 draftees in the last two years are on the 53 so there won't be that many roster spots available next season and the Packers have a little draft capital to burn.

@ByRyanWood: Brian Gutekunst on Jonathan Taylor: "Let's get the checklist out. First of all, I can't talk about players on other teams. We try to be in every conversation. Anytime we make good players available to us, we like to make the #Packers better. That's all I have to say about that."

Brian Gutekunst makes this clear around report #Packers were interested in trading for Jonathan Taylor: "AJ [Dillon] is part of this team, and he was going to be regardless."

@WesHod:  Gutekunst on Aaron Jones: "Aaron is the heart and soul of this team. Not only what we do on the field offensively but off the field too" #Packers

Last edited by ilcuqui

It doesn't make any sense to me.

Considering the current RB market being as it is, it doesn't seem likely they would sign a RB with a premium price tag. I don't want to say the team is "cash-strapped", but they certainly have to be mindful of the cap, and I don't know they have monies available for a huge signing.

I don't know why the Packers would all of a sudden replace Jones or Dillon, for a malcontent who may have a lingering injury, and needs playbook /practice time with less than a week to opening day.

Yeah, changes may be coming at RB next year, but not this year.

So IOW....Colts don't want to pay Taylor. Taylor is pissed off at Colts org and requested (demanded??) Trade & now they're scrambling to get something for him and Gutey was checking to see if he could get Taylor "on the cheap'

Nothing wrong with that. I like it!

@Timmy! posted:

I don't know why the Packers would all of a sudden replace Jones or Dillon, for a malcontent who may have a lingering injury, and needs playbook /practice time with less than a week to opening day.

A malcontent for wanting to get paid by a guy that is notorious for stiffing his players? He'd be a massive upgrade over Dillon.

@Boris posted:

So IOW....Colts don't want to pay Taylor. Taylor is pissed off at Colts org and requested (demanded??) Trade & now they're scrambling to get something for him and Gutey was checking to see if he could get Taylor "on the cheap'

Nothing wrong with that. I like it!

Someone may be up getting him on the cheap. This was fairly calm until Irsay decided to go public with things that Taylor was saying behind the scenes. Irsay is a Jerry Jones wannabe (in terms of wanting to be the center of the story at all times), except that for the most part, most Cowboys players like Jerry Jones.

@PackerRick posted:

I believe the Packers at least took a look and Dillon was part of the deal. Dillon really hasn't been as good as I thought he would be. Also, 22 of the 24 draftees in the last two years are on the 53 so there won't be that many roster spots available next season and the Packers have a little draft capital to burn.

I think the problem with Dillon is that if you need a guy to gain 3 yards when it's blocked for 2, he's very good. If you block a play that should be good for a 5 yard plus gain, he's often going to gain 3. He just lacks burst.

I'm often puzzled why they just didn't turn him into a fullback. He'd be a load as a lead blocker and he'd provide an extra threat in the running and passing game. He's 15 pounds bigger than DeGuara and DeGuara is zero threat to get any handoffs in the run game.

He's just not ever going to be the type of halfback that is going to be a home run threat.

DT Jonathan Ford also released today.

A release from packers.com, just out

The Green Bay Packers have released LB Tariq Carpenter (tuh-REEK) and DL Jonathan Ford, and signed the following players to the practice squad: TE Austin Allen, CB Corey Ballentine (BAL-en-tine), LB Keshawn Banks (KEY-shawn), WR Grant DuBose, C James Empey (emp-ee), S Innis Gaines (IN-iss), QB Alex McGough (ma-goo), WR Bo Melton, LB Arron Mosby, LB Kenneth Odumegwu(oh-doo-MAY-goo), FB Henry Pearson, S Benny Sapp III, DL Chris Slayton, RB Patrick Taylor, T Kadeem Telfort and CB Kiondre Thomas (kee-ON-dray). General Manager Brian Gutekunst announced the transactions Wednesday.

All 16 players signed to the practice squad spent time with the Packers during the 2023 training camp.

If I recall, Dillon's wife also told him he did not do well last year and needed to run with more aggressiveness; Dillon called it "passion." Here are some quotes from this article (linky):

“I think I just really need to play just a little bit more — it’s hard to put a word on it — but like passionate,” Dillon said. “I think I need to go out there and just play a little bit more reckless, so not trying to play perfect, not trying to play perfect football. Nobody does. Just kind of go out there and for a lack of words, kind of make defenses feel me.”

Then he elaborated on what he meant.

“Even though we might be running and there’s only 4 yards here to get, make it a hard 4 yards,” Dillon said. “Make sure the next time running the ball, those defenders feel that, they think about it next time, and just kind of deliver the blow a little bit more.”

“I’m not satisfied with really how I performed last year,” Dillon said. “Let’s look back at when I have been really successful and how I approached the game and, yeah, looking back a little bit, looking back at those highlights, going back to what was my mindset when I was in college when I was dominating the ACC, what was that like and trying to just get to that mindset.”

Dillon’s teammates have noticed a change.

“He’s more focused,” Jones said. ...

Dillon is a guy who has done so many things off the field, that I think it may have affected him on the field. Getting drafted, getting married, being super active on social media, having a kid, writing a children's book, attending high school games, etc., has resulted in him losing focus on his primary job. If he follows through, he could be much better this year. I did like the way he buried the rusher on the Love-to-Reed TD. The guy was on his way down, but Dillon didn't just push him; he got lower than the guy, drilled him, and turned him. It was aggressive and strong. Here's the play.

@KassidyGHill: Just saw Matt Orzech running to practice in full uniform, so assuming he’s back.

Packers released the LS yesterday but plan was to bring him back today with a corresponding move.

@ammo posted:

Carpenter and Ford released to make room for Orzech and one other, but who?

Two new players were signed off of waivers today. From above:

@ByRyanWood: Based on yesterday's 53-man roster layout, you knew there would be more moves coming. #Packers claimed S Zayne Anderson from Bills and TE Ben Sims from Vikings, per transaction wire. Corresponding move unclear.

Last edited by ilcuqui

Since they signed Odumegwu to the PS, he should still have a roster exemption, although the official team reports count him amongst the 16 players.
There should still be an opening to move somebody there, unless I'm mistaken.

Just went to Packers.com and the roster has 51 players and Sims and Anderson were not listed.  Neither was Orzech.  However,  Tyler Davis, Tyler Goodson and Broughton Hatcher are listed as Injured/Reserve.  So they must still be Packers in some form.  They just won't be playing at all this season.  Still, the FO must have seen something in them being they were just not outright released.

Last edited by ammo

Did they move the OT that was injured to IR yet? I haven't seen that and that was why Orzech was cut. When guys are put on IR without making the 53 they usually work out an injury settlement and are released.

@ammo posted:

Just went to Packers.com and the roster has 51 players and Sims and Anderson were not listed.  Neither was Orzech.  However,  Tyler Davis, Tyler Goodson and Broughton Hatcher are listed as Injured/Reserve.  So they must still be Packers in some form.  They just won't be playing at all this season.  Still, the FO must have seen something in them being they were just not outright released.

So YaYa, explain the reason or the thumb down.  What I posted was right off Packers.com

@artis posted:

Seems like safety is a major problem waiting to happen. Granted, I've paid only half attention to camp, so maybe it's been discussed. But it has seemed an issue that's been quietly ignored. Amos had a poor showing last year, so it made sense that he's gone. But a unit where Darnell Savage is the tenured vet? That's got to be a huge concern, no?

Absolutely correct.  If we had an elite S at one spot, we'd be "OK" overall on the back 9 but when Savage is the "good one"...yikes.

Let's just say that pass rush better be lights out.

@ammo posted:

So YaYa, explain the reason or the thumb down.  What I posted was right off Packers.com

Ammo, not the sharpest tool in the shed. Give it 12 to 24 hours for all the recent news to cycle through Packers.com, they only announce moves after officially made public.

@DurangoDoug posted:

Ammo, not the sharpest tool in the shed. Give it 12 to 24 hours for all the recent news to cycle through Packers.com, they only announce moves after officially made public.

@Fedya posted:

It's YaYa.  He gives a thumbs down to everything on sheer principle.

I figured he was too chickenshit to give a real answer.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.