Skip to main content

@ilcuqui posted:

Tom Silverstein tweets that Tom Clements will be returning as QB coach for next season.

That’s huge! Not only will this help further development of Love but it also serves as an endorsement of his skills and potential by Clements. 👍

@TomSilverstein: As new DC Jeff Hafley builds his staff, two #Packers defensive assistants who will not return are passing game coordinator Greg Williams and inside linebackers coach Kirk Olivadotti, a source said. Olivadotti will join the staff of new #Seahawks coach Mike McDonald.

McDuffie is a smart instinctual player but is athletically limited. Walker is the exact opposite. If we do play more 4 man fronts the ILBer's are going to have to be better vs. the run. Watching Wahle's game reviews, Walker and Campbell were not good at triggering vs. runs between the tackles. They would often be "catching" instead of attacking blockers 3-5 yards off the LOS.

@FLPACKER posted:

McDuffie is a smart instinctual player but is athletically limited. Walker is the exact opposite. If we do play more 4 man fronts the ILBer's are going to have to be better vs. the run. Watching Wahle's game reviews, Walker and Campbell were not good at triggering vs. runs between the tackles. They would often be "catching" instead of attacking blockers 3-5 yards off the LOS.

Here's where I do think they have to turn Quay into something like Parsons. Quay is fast, reasonably strong, and has quickness. Why put him way behind the LOS to wait for guys to get to him or make him run up to them? Get him closer to the LOS, send him after guys, let him blitz as well, and let him run down ballcarriers trying to get outside.

I always had the feeling Barry said, "This is the scheme. You're going to play here because I need one of those, no matter what your strengths and weaknesses are. And then when you miss, I'll blame you as being out of position." Square peg, round hole, and all that.

According to Rob Demovsky

The Packers have the last major piece to the new defensive staff now in place. Former Chargers DC Derrick Ansley will be the new pass game coordinator, per a source. There will likely be a few quality control or assistant position coaches added but all key positions are filled.

Former Packer fan favorite Myles White.

I realize that GB has suddenly become a desired destination given all the young talant, but it looks to be a good staff:

• Jason Rebrovich, DL: Outside LB coach in GB last year
  • Vince Oghobaase, asst DL: from Hafley's DL staff, sacks jumped from 1.67 to 2.25 under him; two years as Niners assistant DL; at UCLA in his second year they cut .5 yards ave. off opponents' rushing, and sacks went from 11 to 26
  • Anthony Campanile, LBs: up for DC for the Giants
  • Ryan Downard, S/DBs: stays in GB, will focus on safeties
  • Derrick Ansley, CBs: up for DC with Giants, Chargers non-playcalling DC but after Staley was fired, he called plays for the final three games giving up 17.7 pts/game (24.6 in the 14 games prior); started coaching DBs under Nick Saban

If this staff produces as well as its pedigree suggests, the D may finally begin match potential to production.

On the offensive side, as a UDFA, Myles White will add some good experience and desire to the young WRs. He was with GB last year for two months as part of the diversity program. Sean Mannion as Clements' understudy is an inspired choice; many say the only reason he was employed as a player was because of how smert he is, plus he was on the Rams' roster when MLF was OC there. He becomes Clements' heir apparent, as the coming year may be Clements' last one.

It also begs to wonder how much control MLF had over the D staff to date. If he's willing to do a whole-hog makeover this year, does that mean Murphy/Gute kept really tight control over who MLF hired/fired in the past and they now trust MLF more? Or, is MLF feeling a whole lot more confident in his own abilities after having such good success without Rodgers?

@Boris posted:

Do they have a Satriale's Market in SE Wisconsin? Campanelli could have come from "The Sopranos" cast.

@Fandame posted:

Here's where I do think they have to turn Quay into something like Parsons. Quay is fast, reasonably strong, and has quickness. Why put him way behind the LOS to wait for guys to get to him or make him run up to them? Get him closer to the LOS, send him after guys, let him blitz as well, and let him run down ballcarriers trying to get outside.

Where do you think Walker ends up in this defense?  I actually have no idea if he's MLB, WLB, or OLB.  Honestly it's been so long since we've been a 4-3 I've kind of forgot the requirements of each LB position. 

Quay played spy vs. Bears to make sure Fields didn't run all over the place.

That worked very well and a lot of us called for it before that Bear game.

More of that please.

Wherever he plays, I don't want to see him in the old CMIII role where he just rushed the passer all the time. That worked for a bit, but running up into those big guys all the time took its toll by the end of each year on CMIII. If Hafley plays the 4-3 more like a 5-2, then I'd like to see Quay at one of the 2 LB positions. His job would vary: he could rush the QB, or cover a RB or TE (he's pretty fast), play spy as needed, or drop into coverage. One thing's for sure: he's more versatile than Smith, so he shouldn't be doing the same thing all the time. Make the QB have to account for him on every play.

@R MaN posted:

Probably the right move but I thought they might keep Savage (and maybe Nixon too).

Those 2 guys could  be back depending how everything else shakes out in FA/Draft

I thought Nixon would be a good fit as back-up nickle and back up Safety as well as top KR. That would allow GB to keep (4) corners, (4) Safeties and have Nixon as the 5th DB for both positions.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.