Skip to main content

Another thing classless Xavier players at the end barely made it through the postgame handshakes no one made any eye contact with UW players 

The Bad Boys Pistons liked that move

Enjoy the offseason Xavier

Sweet Sixteen!! 

Was driving back from Milwaukee and had the teenager in the back seat watching the stream. What a gutsy win, and still we're talking about no Nigel Hayes. 

Showalter with the defensive play of the game, and Koenig with back to back cold blooded 3s... For this team to get to the sweet 16 is incredible. What a great win! 

El-Ka-Bong posted:

I thought the time out with 2 seconds was a mistake.  

I did too... was saying it in the car- why give them a chance to set. Koenig wasn't happy either. But in the end Gard laughed last...

Turned this one off when Xavier was up by 8 or 9 and seemed to have all of the momentum.  Woke up this morning to my phone absolutely blown up over this game. Cannot wait for my boss to get in this morning he is a Xavier grad. 

http://host.madison.com/wsj/sp...30-8a6f8315d14c.html

After University of Wisconsin junior guard Bronson Koenig hit two 3-pointers in the final 13 seconds to beat the Musketeers, 66-63, in the second round of the NCAA tournament on Sunday, someone changed the first line of Xavier's Wikipedia page. 

"Xavier University (/ˈzeɪviər/ zay-vee-ər) is a co-educational Jesuit, Catholic university located in Cincinnati, Ohio, United States and is owned by Bronson Koenig.[7]" it read. 

michiganjoe posted:

What a game. Big fan of Nigel but he disappeared at the wrong time and needs to consider coming back to improve his stock. 

Nigel is one of my favorite Badgers ever. Not only a great college player, but a thoughtful guy who'll do well after basketball is over.

I don't think there is any question he comes back. In fact, I'm not sure he'll ever be an NBA player. He's a 6'8" guy that doesn't have a lot of burst. He really struggles in the post against taller players who have the same build as he does. In college, there aren't that many guys like that (Xavier had 3 of them and Pitt had a few alos). In the NBA, every guy he plays against will be like that.

Nigel does almost everything well, but nothing an at outstanding level. To play in the NBA, he'll have to become an even better 3 point shooter. 30% at the college level isn't going to cut it at the longer NBA line.

Relative to other recent Badgers, Hayes is weaker NBA prospectKaminsky is a great shooting big man with 3 point range and is also at least 3 inches taller than Hayes. Dukan is probably a better NBA prospect because an outstanding 3 point shooter and also an extra 2-3 inches in length. Dekker can't shoot consistently enough to be great in the NBA, but he has a level of athleticism that Hayes doesn't have.

The only thing Hayes has going for him is that some may look at him as a poor man's Draymond Green. I never thought Green would be as good an NBA player as he is, and maybe some will see Hayes in that context.

The Heckler posted:

Turned this one off when Xavier was up by 8 or 9 and seemed to have all of the momentum.  Woke up this morning to my phone absolutely blown up over this game. Cannot wait for my boss to get in this morning he is a Xavier grad. 

I posted in the forum that the game was over when they fell behind by 9. I kept watching but was called on it by some other posters.

Music City posted:
El-Ka-Bong posted:

I thought the time out with 2 seconds was a mistake.  

I did too... was saying it in the car- why give them a chance to set. Koenig wasn't happy either. But in the end Gard laughed last...

Maybe it's just me, but Gard seems to have better set plays out of time outs - or more accurately believes in trying to do this. Bo would have let that play on every time because his philosophy was to give the ball in that situation to a ballhandling guard and let them go one on one to get a shot (T. Hughes/Devin Harris/Trae Jackson/etc.).

This was one of the wildest games I have ever watched.  Xavier with there 11 guys 6'-5"" or taller, one of those was their 6-6 point guard, gave the Badgers fits at times.  I didn't hold out much hope when they were down with only a couple minutes left.  It made the ending that much sweeter. 

During the week, actually maybe the last two, all the sports commentators had their theories why you look to certain teams to win.  The smaller unknown schools are blowing all those into eternity.  But I imagine I will have to endure all that talk, and those theories next year - again.  But they will pretend this year didn't happen, except where it helps their case.  They also think we won't remember.  Try me ...........

ChilliJon posted:

Someone might need to fact check this one...

But I believe Wisconsin is the only team in the tourney to make last three Sweet 16's. 

Likely, I believe they are the only team to make it 5 of the past 6 years.

ChilliJon posted:

Someone might need to fact check this one...

But I believe Wisconsin is the only team in the tourney to make last three Sweet 16's. 

Nope....

Edit: Whoops! I may have posted too soon

I believe you are correct Chillijon

Last edited by Boris
KU
Kansas
Mar 24
6:40 PM
Preview
MD
Maryland
Miami
Miami (FL)
Mar 24
4:10 PM
Preview
Vill.
Villanova
TBD
To be determined
Mar 26
West
Ore.
Oregon
Mar 24
6:55 PM
Preview
Duke
Duke
TexA&M
Texas A&M
Mar 24
4:37 PM
Preview
Okla.
Oklahoma
TBD
To be determined
Mar 26
East
UNC
North Carolina
Mar 25
6:57 PM
Preview
IU
Indiana
ND
Notre Dame
Mar 25
4:27 PM
Preview
Wisc.
Wisconsin
TBD
To be determined
Mar 27
Midwest
UVA
Virginia
Mar 25
4:10 PM
Preview
Ia. St.
Iowa St.
Gonz.
Gonzaga
Mar 25
6:40 PM
Preview
Syr.
Syracuse
TBD
To be determined
Mar 27

TEAMS

South - No. 10 Stanford vs. No. 11 Dayton7

West - No. 2 Wisconsin vs. No. 6 Baylor7 

South - No. 1 Florida vs. No. 4 UCLA

West - No. 1 Arizona vs. No. 4 San Diego State

Midwest - No. 2 Michigan vs. No. 11 Tennessee

East - No. 3 Iowa State vs. No. 7 Connecticut

Midwest - No. 4 Louisville vs. No. 8 Kentucky

East - No. 1 Virginia vs. No. 4 Michigan State

Attachments

Images (16)
  • blobid0
  • blobid2
  • blobid4
  • blobid5
  • blobid3
  • blobid1
  • blobid7
  • blobid6
  • blobid8
  • blobid9
  • blobid11
  • blobid10
  • blobid12
  • blobid14
  • blobid15
  • blobid13

Nigel Hayes and Bronson Koenig are about to play in their 14th NCAA career  tournament games.

Frank Kaminsky played in 15. Josh Gasser played in 17.

Outside of Christian Laettner and his classmates at Duke (23 NCAA tournament games!), these guys are in all-time territory with a few more wins.

I can't imagine Nigel getting a first round grade, meaning he is back next year.  Not an exact comp, but I think he is more talented than Marcus Landry, who got a cup of coffee in the NBA.  

Hayes doesn't have the athleticism to play NBA basketball. I like very his game for the most part, but teams know that he's limited and that is why he is struggling. The B1G didn't have a lot of guys that could defend him, so he was more impressive. 

But matchups are everything. Does ND have a F that can match Hayes' power game? If he takes them outside, can they stay with him? So far Xavier and Pitt did. We'll see...

As great as this unexpected run is, I think the best thing about it is for recruiting.

It tells the "Wisconsin kind of kid." that nothing has changed with Gard, and that this is a  still a special place for hard-workers and team players.

Music City posted:

Hayes doesn't have the athleticism to play NBA basketball.

Couldn't disagree more.  Nigel is plenty athletic.  He's just a nifty 4 in a 3's body, which is why he has been working on adjusting his shot so much, he needs a quicker release to play at the next level (and start hitting those shots).  

Be nice to see some more of those baseline moves we saw out of him the last couple years.  

MichiganPacker posted:
The Heckler posted:

I posted in the forum that the game was over when they fell behind by 9. I kept watching but was called on it by some other posters.

I started mucking around with my home network when they were down 9. Kept a rather preoccupied eye on the game, but I thought they were done. That's how great this win was.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.