Skip to main content

Originally Posted by Troutmask:

Really? In stead of running for 181 yards CK throws for 412. This team continues to be to soft.

the db's were no threat to intercept any passes today, other than tramon's whiff in the first quarter (which SHOULD have been a pick-6).

they went to learn how to stop the read-option because 3 teams we will play use it (49er's, Redskins, Eagles)

not sure how "they got embarassed on national tv" makes this game our "Super Bowl"....

Originally Posted by noiropus:
  1. because they got embarassed on national tv against the niners in January
  2. because they sent their coaches to texas to learn how to stop the read-option - and it backfired because they overcommited to that threat, and the play was barely used.

because they wanted to shed the stigma of "everyone knows the packers can't beat the niners" but could not.

Originally Posted by slowmo:
they went to learn how to stop the read-option because 3 teams we will play use it (49er's, Redskins, Eagles)

not sure how "they got embarassed on national tv" makes this game our "Super Bowl"....

1. because they got embarassed on national tv against the niners in January
  2. because they sent their coaches to texas to learn how to stop the read-option - and it backfired because they overcommited to that threat, and the play was barely used.

IF Cobb was able to make it out of bounds -- and at least he gave it his best shot -- that gives AR at least one if not two more shots before a desperation play. That might have made all the difference. 

I don't know how anyone can call our team soft. Both O and D lines played GREAT (Sitton holding/killing drives notwithstanding).

We lost because:

1. lousy field position all day (Can't believe Ross was still in there to return at the end)

2. MD Jennings and McMillion were so bad Bush had to come in so you know the middle really sucked.

3. Two turnovers and one from Finley that was Friken UGLY.

The only spot we were out-manned was the Safties. The O Tackles held up and Jolly, Raji, and Pickett together were a 3 man wrecking crew.

I'm totally encouraged about the rest of the season.

Originally Posted by LarseeBear:

I don't know how anyone can call our team soft. Both O and D lines played GREAT (Sitton holding/killing drives notwithstanding).

We lost because:

1. lousy field position all day (Can't believe Ross was still in there to return at the end)

2. MD Jennings and McMillion were so bad Bush had to come in so you know the middle really sucked.

The only spot we were out-manned was the Safties. The O Tackles held up and Jolly, Raji, and Pickett together were a 3 man wrecking crew.

This.

Can't believe it, but I'm with you Larsee. A lot more positives than negatives in this game, Bacteria perhaps being the biggest one. I think there are several IFs in this game: if we had Hayward; if we had Burnett; if Cobb were able to make it out of bounds near the end; if the ref doesn't blow the off-setting fouls call; etc. 

One or two of those things going our way and the outcome could have been different.

One thing on the negative: Harbaugh has Capers' number by far. He's so far into Capers' head that Harbaugh is looking out from the booth when we are on D. Harbaugh smoked Capers again today.

LarseeBear, I thought we were much improved in that area tonight. And outside of the 3 penalties on Sitton, I was pleased with the overall performance of the O Line. Bakhtiari did well considering who he was facing. 

EDS needs upgrading, but otherwise I'm fine with the other 4 we're putting out there. 

The defensive front seven were very solid. I cannot overstate the importance of having Jolly out there. He immediately upgrades the toughness and nasty factor of the D line. 

Originally Posted by Fandame:

Can't believe it, but I'm with you Larsee. A lot more positives than negatives in this game, Bacteria perhaps being the biggest one. I think there are several IFs in this game: if we had Hayward; if we had Burnett; if Cobb were able to make it out of bounds near the end; if the ref doesn't blow the off-setting fouls call; etc. 

One or two of those things going our way and the outcome could have been different.

Yes it would not of taken much to change the out come of this game.

Not having Haywood in the game was a big thing, he has taken over the role of Woodson.

Originally Posted by phaedrus:
Originally Posted by Blair Kiel:

Wolpack.

I let your whiney-assed takes speak for themselves.

you are a pussy.

Ok gang, I don't ask for much, but can we at least keep the language PG-rated?

The defense most certainly did not "play well enough to win". Their QB set another record. What is encouraging is that the Packers can score against SF. They aren't 10 feet tall on D. What they do well is get off the field at least sometimes with a lead. The Packers offense never can get a shot at their defense with lead. The 49'ers waltzed through the GB after it was 28-24. It was a disappointing performance.

49ers played a heck of a game. No turnovers.

We played a heck of a game ON THE ROAD. We had two turnovers and still were ahead with 6 min to go. 

Seahags just squeeked one out. As far as I'm concerned, other teams know the 9ers and the Pack are the teams to beat. We just have to hope with our schedule we can somehow eek out homefield advantage in the playoffs. Don't want to be on the road at San Fran again this year.

49ers played a heck of a game. No turnovers.

We played a heck of a game ON THE ROAD. We had two turnovers and still were ahead with 6 min to go. 

Seahags just squeeked one out. As far as I'm concerned, other teams know the 9ers and the Pack are the teams to beat. We just have to hope with our schedule we can somehow eek out homefield advantage in the playoffs. Don't want to be on the road at San Fran again this year.

Bingo, no way anyone beats the Pack at home in the playoffs....

Originally Posted by Va. Packer:

The defense most certainly did not "play well enough to win".

No doubt they played poorly, but the offense needs to share in the blame. Two turnovers, numerous untimely penalties and a couple of ugly forth quarter three and outs contributed to the defeat.

Originally Posted by michiganjoe:
Originally Posted by Va. Packer:

The defense most certainly did not "play well enough to win".

No doubt they played poorly, but the offense needs to share in the blame. Two turnovers, numerous untimely penalties and a couple of ugly forth quarter three and outs contributed to the defeat.

Which is why AR deserves criticism. He is THE HIGHEST PAID PLAYER - he has to be held somewhat accountable and has to be counted on to be the equalizer to some level.

BTW - this offense is good but not great. The time of possession nightmare that started in the playoff game against the G-men continues. Running on first down for 2 yards does not solve the issue of the 3-and-outs. 

Hope that the packers can get on a roll quickly. there might be very little room for error in the nfc (remember, the bores missed the playoffs last year at 10-6).

I wish other Dlinemen would put their hands in the air like Jolly does. You always see his hand up if he can't get to the QB. On one throw, CK had to throw it outside Jolly's hand and he barely got it to the RB. Geez, if we can't get a pass rush, at least do something other than just push against the wall. If a guy who's been out of football for three years can do it, why not some others?

Unless Rodgers can play safety or rush the passer, I can't see how you can lay this one on him. The Niners have one of the top if not THE top defenses in the league. Tough to score on every possession. Where did you see something he could have done better? I don't remember many errant throws or missed opportunities.

Originally Posted by Henry:

The offense needs to take as much blame as the defense.

Can't keep a defense on the field extensively with backups in for starters and expect great results. 

Absolutely. 

Part of the problem I had was a lack of change of pace plays. We weren't running well early, but I'd have liked a screen play or two in the second half. Lacy got one, and broke it for a really nice gain. After the fumble, they didn't try it again. 

I do have to say though, the few times I saw James Starks get the carry tonight, I liked what I saw. God, I really want him to stay healthy, because Lacy, Starks, and Franklin would be a hell of a 1-2-3 punch. I know Franklin didn't do much in preseason, but in no way am I giving up on him. 

BTW - this offense is good but not great. The time of possession nightmare that started in the playoff game against the G-men continues. Running on first down for 2 yards does not solve the issue of the 3-and-outs.

I disagree. I think the offense is very close to being a great unit, and will be. You've had a good deal of turnover on the offensive line, and you've got a new feature back. The entire first string offense hasn't really played together until today as Nelson was out the entire preseason, as was Cobb. And they put up 28 points on the road against one of the best defenses in football.

One comment I have to make, it's amazing to me how the game of football often comes down to a few inches. The interception that bounced off of Finley's hand nearly hit the ground, and Cobb's TD reception where he stretched out broke the goal line by about an inch. If that ball hits the ground, the outcome could have been completely different.

We lost because:

Yup. This.

Hope that the packers can get on a roll quickly. there might be very little room for error in the nfc (remember, the bores missed the playoffs last year at 10-6).

Well we all know your sorry ass will only be here for the losses.  Turn your walker upside down and have a seat.

fun game to watch.  I came away pretty impressed by the guys up front on defense, despite turnovers putting them in a hole, I thought they played really well.  The thing that concerns me on defense is the same thing that concerned me last year, the middle is so soft (that's what she said).  Tight ends are going to kill us all year long.

Nothing but surprised how well the oline held up.   They can pass block.  Sitting Lacy was the right move and I liked the message.  Would like to see more swing passes and screens to give him an inch of running room.  I do think he leaves his feet to quick. 

It was a good game.  A couple favorable bounces the niners way and they held on to win.  On to next week. 

tough game in a tough place against a tough team. Packers will be playing better later in the year than they were today and I did not think they played that badly today. They looked better today than the loss to open the year last year so hopefully the team gets healthy and they get stronger as the year goes on.

true comments...

however, i can't help but wonder how pretty the pack would be looking if we had picked up boldin. the guy made some incredible plays today (i think kap throws harder than favre).

Originally Posted by lambeausouth:

One comment I have to make, it's amazing to me how the game of football often comes down to a few inches. The interception that bounced off of Finley's hand nearly hit the ground, and Cobb's TD reception where he stretched out broke the goal line by about an inch. If that ball hits the ground, the outcome could have been completely different.

you can't stay pat when you're the underdog. judicious use of free agency has its pluses.

detroit seemed to help themselves with bush. sf got better with boldin. we got better with lacy, but yet he fumbled (to be expected from a rookie). 

we gambled incorrectly with ross, and possibly eds and jones.

we got more out of john jolly than from datone jones, nick perry, and mike neal combined imho.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.