Skip to main content

Originally Posted by noiropus:

we got more out of john jolly than from datone jones, nick perry, and mike neal combined imho.

that's false. entirely. the Packers front 7 did their job pretty well today. 

as others have said - apparently no criticism is allowed on this board.

you guys act as if the packers had won the game.

my point is that atop the nfc you have sf and possibly seattle in terms of talent.

after that, the next tier is the packers, saints, falcons, bears, giants, redskins. not a lot of difference between those teams talent-wise. making the playoffs is no gimme in this year's nfc, and the packers would have been better served imho picking up a safety with experience, or converting house to that role (where he could be a starter).

Originally Posted by Grave Digger:
I'm definitely looking to the Lions as a gold standard for team building.

All along everyone was saying that to stop the read option you had to play assignment defense. The front 7 did that today for the most part, except there wasn't consistent pressure on CK. The secondary had some communication problems or something because Boldin is still running free. I'm thinking if Hayward and Burnett are playing, Capers might have mixed in some blitzes.

Seattle barely could beat a mediocre Panthers team, scored a whopping 12 points.  We were up in this game with 7 minutes left-despite two turnovers, a wrong call that led to 7 points vs. 3 for the 49ers.

Yep, those teams are clearly a tier above us in talent.

Oh--we welcome intelligent criticism.

my point is that atop the nfc you have sf and possibly seattle in terms of talent.

after that, the next tier is the packers, saints, falcons, bears, giants, redskins. not a lot of difference between those teams talent-wise. making the playoffs is no gimme in this year's nfc, and the packers would have been better served imho picking up a safety with experience, or converting house to that role (where he could be a starter).

Originally Posted by Grave Digger:
I'm definitely looking to the Lions as a gold standard for team building.

Fan Falls To His Death At 49ers-Packers Game

SAN FRANCISCO -- A football fan fell from an elevated pedestrian walkway and died at San Francisco's Candlestick Park during the 49ers-Green Bay Packers game.

San Francisco police spokesman Gordon Shyy (SHY) says multiple people witnessed the man's fall onto a sidewalk from the Jamestown walkway, which goes around Candlestick.

According to police, witnesses say the man appeared intoxicated when he fell just after kickoff at about 1:30 p.m. Sunday in the 49ers' 34-28 win over the Packers. Off-duty medics and police officers gave him first aid until an ambulance arrived, but the man was declared dead from his injuries.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/...-park_n_3891239.html

Did someone edit or delete your post? You're allowed to make criticisms and say whatever you want within the rules of the forum (which are lax compared to the previous regime). Guess what, I and whoever else have the right to say whatever you want within the rules of the forum, including telling you how and why you're wrong. Don't play the victim card because someone isn't agreeing with you, there's no forum rule that says I can't be sarcastic and snarky with my responses. Like you're being discriminated against because a bunch of people don't agree with you, wake up donkey, you don't have to agree with them or change you're opinion and the same goes for everyone else. And the more you whine about how mean people are being or how differing opinions aren't tolerated, the meaner and ruder they will get. There are people on here with different opinions than mine, BEARS FANS FOR CRIPES SAKE, and we have perfectly pleasant conversations with them. And all the people you think are out to get you, guess what? They disagree with each other without being jerks (okay sometimes they do). Ever think YOU are the problem? Grow a pair and learn to take criticism and back your opinion up with intelligence and facts, not flimsy whiney examples. That is all.

Didn't say you couldn't criticized, I just challenged the target of your criticism. 

This is a front 7 that was annihilated and embarrassed last year in the divisional round and they held them to 2 yds a carry. 

Wanna criticize Jerron and Jennings? Fine, but if someone were to say before the game, "Kap throws for 400 and the Packers don't have Burnett and Hayward", would you really think what they're saying is that outrageous? I mean c'mon, Jarrett Bush was out their for God's sake. 

For example, when you post this:

the packers would have been better served imho picking up a safety with experience, or converting house to that role (where he could be a starter).

you might want to list the "experienced safety" the Packers should have picked up.  You might also want to tell us why a 195 lb Devon House, who has never played safety in his life--high school, college, or pros--would be able to play that position sucesfully.

I think what you mean is, your criticism should remain unchallenged. 

We've heard that before.

It's not like the Niners were really able to slow down the Packers passing game either.   In fact, that is not a good pass defense in SF although I do like the rookie (Reid) but he's not Goldson- at least not yet.

To attack that team you need to throw the ball early and often.  I think GB did that pretty well.

It just seems with these guys that defensively we focus on stopping the one thing we think is going to beat us (this time Kaepernick running) & accomplish it...only have another facet of the game completely kill us (the passing game yesterday). Gotta find a balance somewhere. 

The best defensive strategy yesterday was for the offense to sustain drives and keep CK off the field, and they couldn't do it. The Packers run the ball effectively and they likely win the game. 

The other point is that kaepernick seems to be a slow starter and that was not exploited. 

Just like Ross killed us with the muffed punt in January after the int., i knew that Tramon not picking that ball off early was costly. Missed opportunities.

Originally Posted by michiganjoe:

The best defensive strategy yesterday was for the offense to sustain drives and keep CK off the field, and they couldn't do it. The Packers run the ball effectively and they likely win the game. 

Exactly. Which is why I really question the effectiveness of the no-huddle approach leading to three and outs repeatedly. Some Drives took less than a minute from the clock. Talk about being gassed on d by your own offense! But of course we had seen that before. KC and then the Giants gave that blueprint during the 15-1 year.

The idea of running a hurry up offense against SF is rock solid. SF has a great starting front 7 but there's not a lot of depth there. They're going to get gassed if you can maintain possession and move the chains. The Packers last scoring drive in the 4th consisted of Lacy runs of 7 yards, 6 yards, 5 yards, 7 yards, TD.

I think GB needs to upgrade C. And the OL just needs some games together. Sitton's penalties might be a combination of a new position and going against Justin Smith. I think GB had the right scheme on offense but just need to execute it better.

I'd love to see a few more screen passes mixed in. I'm still unsure why they're not featured more. But I've got no issue with running a fast tempo offense.

I now know you completely don't know what you are talking about.  So, we overpay to bring Boldin in as our 4th receiver.  Yeah, ok.

true comments...

however, i can't help but wonder how pretty the pack would be looking if we had picked up boldin. the guy made some incredible plays today (i think kap throws harder than favre).

Originally Posted by lambeausouth:

One comment I have to make, it's amazing to me how the game of football often comes down to a few inches. The interception that bounced off of Finley's hand nearly hit the ground, and Cobb's TD reception where he stretched out broke the goal line by about an inch. If that ball hits the ground, the outcome could have been completely different.

I'm feeling more optimistic after this game then I was before the game.  We knew the D was bad, but we didn't know how the new tackles would be.  They did a decent job against a great front 7.

We are not 15-1 team, but good enough to make the playoffs and then anything can happen.

Originally Posted by Pakrz:

Not sure if it was mentioned anywhere yet, but how about that rookie S for the Niners?  That ****.qing kid was all over the place.  Just what that defense needs is another badass.  

Yeah, Reid looked really good for his first game, unlike Jennings and McMillan who looked like they were playing their first pro games.

Morgan Burnett's value to the back end of the D can not be underestimated.  Losing his quality of play in coverage and tackling is bad enough.  But then pile on losing his lining up everybody and making the right calls on every play (and having no one resembling a competent substitute) and you have the makings of a disaster.  You have the makings of yesterday's pass D.

I never like to read too much into the first game of the year and certainly wouldn't want to start banging the drum for coaching changes. But I can't help but be somewhat concerned about the direction of the Packers defense. Nice job of stopping the run this time but it seems they have a tough time putting both sides together consistently. This game brought back some painful memories of last year's game against the Colts. Bradford had a great game passing to Reggie Wayne who racked up 13 catches for 212 yds. And now we see Boldin duplicate the performance. I'll give you that Boldin is one tough SOB, but really? And I get that we were missing 2 starters in the secondary.  But I wouldn't expect this kind of drop off. Are we seeing the waning of Capers as a defensive designer? It seems like the defense is always just reacting to the last debacle. I don't see any big change to this on the horizon. 

I fail to see any validity in complaints about the Packer's offensive line having difficulty run-blocking against the SF Front 7.

Are ya serious?  Everyone knows the Packers have dealt with injuries at o-line.  We all know the line hasn't exactly been without attention by TT.  We also know SF likely has the best Front 7 in the league.

To me such complaints almost smack of, "We really need better defense at our 2 guard position.  Michael Jordan lit us up."

Yeah, I know it's exaggerated, but I am sure you get my drift.

It's all the things DH mentions plus the fact GB has to play things conservatively given two young safeties are starting compounded by the fact you have a rookie starting at slot CB that's shown a tendency to being beaten on plays over the top. So they played a soft zone, kept an eye on Kap and did their best to keep everything in front of them. They simply didn't have the horses to be aggressive with coverage.

I would have liked to have seen Raji, Jones, Jolly, Daniels and Co. get a better push up the middle but SF is damn near 5 pro bowlers at OL. Their C and G play is just filthy. It's just tough to generate a pass rush against SF unless you sell out with a blitz and but how do you justify that without Burnett and Hayward in the secondary?

"No Burnett, no Hayward, OL injuries...", I thought EVERY team had injuries and it was part of the bleeping game? Jesus Christ, there were a posts every time a guy got poked in the eye on another team in the "injuries" thread. Now that's everyone's reason we lost? What about the Niners missing Crabtree and Manningham?

The other complaint I do not agree with to an extent is over SF's passing success.

Isn't it obvious that K's option to run is tantamount to an ADDITIONAL WEAPON?

Obviously, the Pack schemed to accommodate it and it follows that emphasis stopping one facet of an offense implies having to less emphasize another facet.

Is that so hard to figure out?

Originally Posted by antiworst:

"No Burnett, no Hayward, OL injuries...", I thought EVERY team had injuries and it was part of the bleeping game? Jesus Christ, there were a posts every time a guy got poked in the eye on another team in the "injuries" thread. Now that's everyone's reason we lost? What about the Niners missing Crabtree and Manningham?

You do realize you have morphed into a bigger pussy than kworst...and you chose the username you did to show how opposite of him you were. 

It is hard to ignore that the S position has been a revolving door train wreck since Collins was decapitated.  I thought they might have something in McMillian - and maybe he would look better NEXT TO an ACTUAL starting S, but he was brutal yesterday.  It sucks that Burnett was out but yes, other teams have injuries too and the guy directly behind Burnett needs to be better than what we saw yesterday.  You can get away with only one good S in this league but he can't get injured if you have nothing behind him.

The other point is that kaepernick seems to be a slow starter and that was not exploited. 

Just like Ross killed us with the muffed punt in January after the int., i knew that Tramon not picking that ball off early was costly. Missed opportunities.

Only you could turn good defense into a fault.

Last edited by Boris
Originally Posted by Iowacheese:
Originally Posted by antiworst:

You do realize you have morphed into a bigger pussy than kworst...and you chose the username you did to show how opposite of him you were. 

What I said is true. I'm sorry that you feel you have to resort to the typical sophomoric reply. It was stated that "all teams have injuries", "next man up", blah, blah. Now it's the excuse for us losing? Which is it IC? Wasn't it stated that "all teams have injuries", the Packers have no more than anyone else, etc.? Weren't Manningham and Crabtree out for the Niners?  Don't jump on the bandwagon and call people who were questioning whether there MIGHT be an issue with the Training Staff "Whiners", and then spend the next 24 hours whining about injuries. It makes you sound like a pussy.

Crabtree and Manningham are both on the PUP list. SF knew those two were unavailable for the opener two months ago. GB knew Hayward and Burnett might not be available two weeks ago. And really reached a conclusion on Burnett two days ago.

Injuries happen. But how both teams prepared for wk 1 in regards these specific 4 players is completely different.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.