Skip to main content

Originally Posted by chickenboy:
 Ex- TE Matthew Mulligan didn't last long with . They just announced his release.

The Pats are looking for the Hernandez replacement.  The problem is, it is just hard to find a guy with the same killer instinct, a guy who isn't afraid to pull the trigger, and a guy whose blocking skills plants the opposition. 

Originally Posted by PackFoo:

Where is Fernando Velasco? The great OC the Titans released and we'd be lucky to get? Oh...he hasn't signed with anyone yet. That's right...

Most teams aren't as bad off as we are at center. 

No one is saying the guy is the next coming of Jim Ringo, but he is a capable starter at a position the Packers are extremely thin at.

Originally Posted by titmfatied:
Originally Posted by PackFoo:

Where is Fernando Velasco? The great OC the Titans released and we'd be lucky to get? Oh...he hasn't signed with anyone yet. That's right...

Most teams aren't as bad off as we are at center. 

No one is saying the guy is the next coming of Jim Ringo, but he is a capable starter at a position the Packers are extremely thin at.

Apparently 32 teams disagree with the 50 drunks in a bar.

Originally Posted by Satori:

often times teams wait until after the first weekend to sign the vets, that way their full year salary isn't guaranteed

This is my assumption.  TT may do nothing but I'm sure he's constantly scanning the wire.  At this point there is a need for depth even if it's short term.

Originally Posted by Satori:

often times teams wait until after the first weekend to sign the vets, that way their full year salary isn't guaranteed

Yeah that's the reason he hasn't signed. Even if they are interested in him, they won't sign him until next week at the earliest.

Originally Posted by GBFanForLife:

Just what the Packers need. Pick up a center who hasn't played in their system and he makes all the line calls. That should help keep Rodgers upright.

Yeah, there is no chance MM and the coaches could ever get him ready to play. Or use practice and meetings to figure out if he was a better option than EDS without actually putting AR in danger in a game.

Just what the Packers need. Pick up a center who hasn't played in their system and he makes all the line calls. That should help keep Rodgers upright.

Yeah, because last year with Saturday and EDS making all the line calls they managed to keep him upright all but 51 times.

In your opinion a better option.

No, in MM and TT's opinion. They would be the ones doing the evaluating in practice.

Your post insinuated that if TT brought in a new C, he would immediately be in front of AR and making all the line calls during games. As if there was no chance of evaluating the guy or teaching him the schemes before putting him on the field.

So I am trying to get your recent strategies down:

1. Don't try and upgrade over BJ Coleman as the only other QB on the team. That is a fine way to go into the regular season.

2. Coaches shouldn't spend time gathering info or learning about opponents. In fact a coach with a long track record of success should stop doing what he has been doing and "get a life".

3. We shouldn't even try to upgrade a weak C position because a new player wouldn't know the line calls the very first second he arrives in town and might get AR hit because he can't possibly learn the line calls before MM would put him out there during a game. 

I get that you don't like me and think everything I post is garbage. You seem to feel your football knowledge is far superior to anyone.

1. I didn't see a problem with them going into the season with Coleman. They obviously changed their minds. Not sure how they are better off with a guy that doesn't know the playbook but they run the team and I don't get too wound up about their decisions.

2. I don't worship the guy like most people.

3. I get it. Everyone including you feels that EDS sucks. He is in the same league as AJ Hawk.

EDS and Newhouse are similar "tallants", they're solid enough backups who you're glad to have in case you need someone to play a few snaps or even a couple of games in a pinch. They're not guys you want as your regular starters.

Saturday played the majority of the season, Newhouse at LT and an undrafted Free Agent at right tackle. Yep, it was EDS that was the problem.

The point is GBFanForLife is that the team has to make upgrades wherever possible, and yes, if bringing in a center will help the team then that's what they have to do. You can't simply eliminate people based on the fact that "they haven't played in the system" or "they make the line calls". Otherwise the team would be playing with the same players every year. I know that EDS isn't entirely to blame for last year, hell I would say he improved the O'Line play when he started. But he is hardly a top notch center and if there are better alternatives, why not explore them? That's all anyone's saying, I think.

Many fans obviously don't like him, but I've seen no indication that either TT or MM have soured on EDS as their starting center. The plan apparently was to have Tretter compete for the job but that didn't quite work out. Obviously depth at the position needs to be improved.

Do they need a backup center? The answer is yes. It just seems that every Tom, Dick or Harry that gets cut needs to be signed. If they do sign someone, someone has to get cut first. What position will that be from? They also have multiple players on the PUP. Players will have to be cut to get them on the roster.

I get that you don't like me and think everything I post is garbage. You seem to feel your football knowledge is far superior to anyone.

All I know is that the people that own the seats next to mine always tell the people that buy them to sit next to me because I always see things they don't see. They sometimes even trade seats at the half. Doesn't make me an expert but it is kind of fun seeing them turn around to watch the replay to see if I was right.

Originally Posted by michiganjoe:

Many fans obviously don't like him, but I've seen no indication that either TT or MM have soured on EDS as their starting center.

Considering they really don't have a better alternative, I highly doubt they would indicate any souring.  He's the best C they got and they have to live with that and move forward.

Originally Posted by FreeSafety:

All I know is that the people that own the seats next to mine always tell the people that buy them to sit next to me because I always see things they don't see. They sometimes even trade seats at the half. Doesn't make me an expert but it is kind of fun seeing them turn around to watch the replay to see if I was right.

You are one funny ****er. I am no expert by any means and have never claimed to be. I do watch football and understand the game. I also don't make **** up and just tell it like it is and really don't care what people think of me.

Do they need a backup center? The answer is yes. It just seems that every Tom, Dick or Harry that gets cut needs to be signed. If they do sign someone, someone has to get cut first. What position will that be from? They also have multiple players on the PUP. Players will have to be cut to get them on the roster.

It appears to me that they drafted Tretter with the thought of him at some point playing Center===

Originally Posted by FLPACKER:

It appears to me that they drafted Tretter with the thought of him at some point playing Center===

Yeah, and...HE'S OUT INJURED!!

Belichick has amazingly detailed dossiers on every franchise, coach and player. He brings lots and lots of players in and asks lots and lots of questions

From earlier today:

patriots| work out 11 players

The New England Patriots worked out free-agent QB Austin Davis (Rams),QB B.J. Coleman (Packers), QB Graham Harrell (Jets), RB Damien Berry (Ravens), RB Jonathan Dwyer (Steelers), RB Cameron Marshall (Dolphins), WR Josh Bellamy (Chiefs), WR Chad Bumphis (Dolphins), DT Sione Fua (Panthers), DT Clinton McDonald (Seahawks) and DT Andre Neblett (Buccaneers) Friday, Sept. 6.

Both Packers QBs are in NE for a Vulcan Mind Meld, hope he uses vaseline

Originally Posted by FreeSafety:

Originally Posted by ChilliJon:

Surprising given the Steelers tackled the living s**t out of each other for 5 weeks in camp this year.

Did you see the play?  His own team mate took him out.  I've never seen anything like it.  Almost looked intentional. 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.