Skip to main content

Originally Posted by Boston Jim:
>Injuries for him. I think TT is getting tired of guys with injuries.

And yet James Starks finds a way to stay on the team even when it seems he's incapable of staying on the field.

Whoever we end up bringing in at quarterback, as Coleman is obviously not a long term solution at backup...what's the best case scenario as far as their learning the playbook? How long until we could feel comfortable with them coming into a game if God forbid something happens to Aaron?

Best case, IMHO, 'south, would be 2 weeks minimum; more likely 4 weeks.

Assuming a guy has any experience at all, he should have a working knowledge of basic formations, so it's just a matter of learning the dreaded "terminology". Even at that, if he has to go into a game, he will have the ol' playlist on his wrist.

Where he will really suffer is in practice reps. Book learning is one thing; being able to practice it is another, and doing it in game conditions is a rarity.

Wilson also got pushed quite a bit by Miller and Boyd and others.  Now that he is safe I hope he doesn't dial it back because I view him as pretty ordinary but he was one of the better looking players in preseason.  

Originally Posted by Boris:

Makes me physically ill a  team cutting so many players

Hoping today we not only pick up or trade for a better #2 at QB than Coleman, but we pick up/trade to replace both Van Roten and Taylor as backup OL.  Neither belong on our 53 -- and wouldn't be but for Bulaga, Tretter and Sherrod's injuries.  Best case, they're practice squad material.  We need better, even if it's just veteran stop-gaps, ala a Bruce Wilkerson.  Hope Thompson this time around doesn't opt for going with his own.

sschumer- here's a couple of guys mentioned at Pro Football Focus:

Kevin Matthews, C – Washington

Grade: +4.0   

Snaps: 225

How he impressed: Apparently +4.0 grades don’t foreshadow a future in Washington (don’t read too much into that). Another product of NFL bloodlines, Matthews graded in the green for both run and pass blocking this preseason. He allowed just one hurry and no other pressure during his 99 snaps in pass protection. The son of Hall of Famer Bruce Matthews may be able to add some depth to an NFL team this season.

Tony Pashos, OT – Washington

Grade: +7.9   

Snaps: 191

How he impressed: By bulldozing through defenders, Pashos earned a run blocking grade of +4.4. He also posted a respectable 95.4 Pass Blocking Efficiency. It’s quite surprising that Pashos not only lost out on the starting job to Tyler Polumbus, but was not even kept on the roster. Polumbus last year ranked 65th out of 72 offensive tackles with his 91.3 PBE. If his preseason is any indication, Pashos could a handful of teams not only as depth, but as a full-time starter.

https://www.profootballfocus.c...01/cuts-to-catch-on/

Originally Posted by Satori:

sschumer- here's a couple of guys mentioned at Pro Football Focus:

Kevin Matthews, C – Washington

Grade: +4.0   

Snaps: 225

How he impressed: Apparently +4.0 grades don’t foreshadow a future in Washington (don’t read too much into that). Another product of NFL bloodlines, Matthews graded in the green for both run and pass blocking this preseason. He allowed just one hurry and no other pressure during his 99 snaps in pass protection. The son of Hall of Famer Bruce Matthews may be able to add some depth to an NFL team this season.

Tony Pashos, OT – Washington

Grade: +7.9   

Snaps: 191

How he impressed: By bulldozing through defenders, Pashos earned a run blocking grade of +4.4. He also posted a respectable 95.4 Pass Blocking Efficiency. It’s quite surprising that Pashos not only lost out on the starting job to Tyler Polumbus, but was not even kept on the roster. Polumbus last year ranked 65th out of 72 offensive tackles with his 91.3 PBE. If his preseason is any indication, Pashos could a handful of teams not only as depth, but as a full-time starter.

https://www.profootballfocus.c...01/cuts-to-catch-on/

Geez, they'd probably be starting for us in 2 weeks. Give the Rook some seasoning and get EDS the hell out of there.

Not sure where the Mark Sanchez talk is coming from...I've not seen anything related to it and I sure hope it is not true.  No way would I want the Packers to give up anything for him.  The one QB who intrigues me is David Carr.  I always thought he had a great arm and lots of talent but he got killed when he was with Houston.  His completion percentage was always high and he seems like an intelligent QB who never had an adequate OL in front of him.  Maybe working with MM would be a good thing.

Originally Posted by lambeausouth:
Originally Posted by Boston Jim:
>Injuries for him. I think TT is getting tired of guys with injuries.

And yet James Starks finds a way to stay on the team even when it seems he's incapable of staying on the field.

Who should TT have kept? Alex Green with the surgically repaired knee, who didn't out perform Starks?

I'm in the minority with this opinion, but I like James Starks quite a bit.  I think he could be a pretty decent backup to a starting RB.  I believe NOT playing as often would help his being prone to injury.  Also, I'd rather him step in as the starter if something happened to Lacy as opposed to Green.  Was not really impressed with Green last year, although he was coming off of a significant injury.

I liked what Starks brought more than Green.  He has the ability.  Green is nothing but a pass catching 3rd down back at best.  Trying to force him into a inbetween the tackles runner was doomed from the start.  

You put clowns like EDS as your starter, you need a Donut Roller.

Scott Tolzien.....Hilarious. "So Scott....about that Niner playbook..."

Originally Posted by PackLandVA:

I think he could be a pretty decent backup to a starting RB. 

I do not disagree.  He has all the physical tools and seems to be instinctive with the ball in his hands. 

I think it is everything else that eludes him. 

We expected teams to be jumping on our scraps last year but it didn't happen. They are making up for it this year.

By the way, here are some guys for TT to sign.

Ricky Stanzi - Backup QB set finally
James Vandenberg - Put him on the PS and end the Coleman experiment
Marvin McNutt - can never be too deep at WR
Keenan Davis - see above
Tony Moeaki - Next year he will be healthy. No doubt about it
Amari Spievey - He'll make us all finally forget about Nick Collins

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.