Skip to main content

Pretty glowing review from a guy we all admire for his takes on Love last season.

NGL, CW looked pretty darn good in his limited snaps in his first NFL preseason game.  I did notice how good his footwork is, constantly resetting his base.  All considered, if they can get the OL to be average, I'd expect a Russell Wilson type rookie season.  Their OC might finally know what he's doing too.

"...if the OL can just be average".  I have no idea what is going to happen with that unit.  But Williams will help them with his ability to run, buy time and work broken plays.

My sense of CHI right now is they could be almost anything this year, good or bad.  It's been a long time since anyone could say that about them.

Last edited by DH13

Meh, it happens.

The Vikes ruled the division in the '70's.
The Bores did the same in the '80's.
The Loins had a couple or so good years in the early 90's, but were mostly irrelevant until 2-3 years ago.
The Packers finally got their turds in a herd during the '90's, and have ruled the new millennium with the occasional exception.

Just enjoy it while it lasts.

@BearBite posted:

This shoukd cause some heads to explode:

Best NFL Rosters

Fof those who don't watch it:

1. Chiefs

2. Lions

3.  49ers

4. Bears

5. Bengals

Sounds like he is addressing starters only.  In none of the cases does he address depth.  So what happens when injuries occur?  Most often the healthiest rosters get into the SB - and right now we don't know who they are.  When that wasn't the case, and severely injured teams get in (think GB in 2010 for example), it is the depth that takes you the rest of the way.  And BTW, no regular season games (with game planning involved) have been played yet.  There is just a lot none of those guys (and us) know - yet. 

@Satori posted:

The Love-led Packers went 4-2 vs those "top" rosters last season, and that was with a year 1 starter at QB.

Well this video was about this year's rosters not last year so thanks for the non-relevant response.

@BearBite posted:

Well this video was about this year's rosters not last year so thanks for the non-relevant response.

So you're saying the Packers roster has gotten worse since last season? Even though they were in the divisional round of the playoffs. While the Bears who finished with 7 wins are now "Top 4" Ok....got it!

Psst.....Divisional playoffs is top 8 for those of you following along

Last edited by Boris
@PackerHawk posted:

Ah, yes. The yearly cycle for Bears fans. We can always count on this.

Maybe the air quality  in Chicago is affecting their brains.

Just a suggestion, load up your 23' boat with twin 90 hp motors, drive north to Wisconsin on our toll free highways while pissing off every other motorist on the way. When you get there rent a cabin on a 5 acre lake and swamp every other boat on the lake and just make general nuisance of yourself. Then head back to your crappy city while pissing off other drivers going south and  laugh with all of your friends about the rubes in Wisconsin.

@BearBite posted:

You're most welcome.
Last year's roster actually played 17 games of NFL football vs NFL caliber competition. That's meaningful

This years' roster is nothing more than a list of names on a piece of paper.
Those are 2 very different things Mr. Relevancy.

Also -  Congrats on your nice piece of paper

I prefer to make my annual trip to the Bear ticket office at the conclusion of each year and say "I want to buy a ticket to a Bear playoff game".  Of course none are usually  available.  Then I get my Chicago style pizza and head for home feeling nourished, having had some fun, got out of the house, and making them wonder why I bother.  Of course none of this original, many other Packer fans probably do the same thing - making the off-season Bears ticket office the most active one in the league. 

Actually I didn't say any of the grevious things alleged here, just posted a link to a video of a so called "expert" (most of whom I take with a huge grain of salt) for examination.  Perhaps you might direct the canned ad hominem attacks in his direction or make an actual fact based comment vs his opinion.  But then what fun would that be?   

@BearBite posted:

Actually I didn't say any of the grevious things alleged here, just posted a link to a video of a so called "expert" (most of whom I take with a huge grain of salt) for examination.  Perhaps you might direct the canned ad hominem attacks in his direction or make an actual fact based comment vs his opinion.  But then what fun would that be?   

Ok.....how about I predict the 49ers don't win their division & don't make the playoffs?

Here's the top 7 in the NFC. In no specific order

1. Cowboys
  2. Eagles
  3. Falcons
  4. Lions
  5. Bears
  6. Rams
  7. Packers
@PackerHawk posted:

Ah, yes. The yearly cycle for Bears fans. We can always count on this.

Bears' fans sound an awful lot like vikings' fans, don't they? Both are gonna be fighting to stay out of the NFC North cellar, this season.

Last edited by mrtundra

I love these intense battles between the Bears and Vikings fans over who gets to hang the off-season championship banner every year.  Vikings fans are a little subdued this year over all of the training camp/pre-season injuries though.

Last edited by Cheezers

Difference between CHI and MIN this year is that CHI will actually be good.  I don't know about top 4 good but they'll be better than MIN and depending on their rookie QB, could make the playoffs.  I know that's a broad range of possible outcomes for the Bears but outside the OL, their roster is strong enough that if the QB is above average, they'll battle for a playoff spot.  If he's very good, so will be the team.

Last edited by DH13
@DH13 posted:

Difference between CHI and MIN this year is that CHI will actually be good.  I don't know about top 4 good but they'll be better than MIN and depending on their rookie QB, could make the playoffs.  I know that's a broad range of possible outcomes for the Bears but outside the OL, their roster is strong enough that if the QB is above average, they'll battle for a playoff spot.  If he's very good, so will be the team.

Yes. Unfortunately (for Packers' fans), the Bryce Young trade may end up being similar to the Herschel Walker trade that set the Cowboys up for at least half a decade. They are probably going to end up with 5 starters from the trade, and those starters are at arguably 4 of the most important positions in football (QB, WR1, a RT that could become a LT, and DB).

March 10, 2023: Bryce Young traded by Bears as the 2023 1st round pick (1st overall) to Panthers for 2023 1st round pick (9th overall subsequently traded , Jalen Carter), 2023 2nd round pick (61st overall subsequently traded , Brenton Strange), a 2024 1st round pick, a 2025 2nd round pick and D.J. Moore

The 9th overall pick in 2023 was traded for the 10th overall pick (Darnell Wright) and a 2024 4th round pick. The 61st overall pick was packaged with a 5th rounder to move up and draft Tyrique Stevenson at 56th overall.

This is who the Bears ended up with for Bryce Young and a 5th round pick.

1. Caleb Williams (Starting QB)

2. DJ Moore (#1 WR)

3. Darnell Wright (starting RT who made all-rookie team)

4. Tyrique Stevenson (starting CB)

5. Tory Taylor (2024 punter)

6. 2025 2nd round pick still to come

The Vikings were World Champs of the Offseason for so long, it became perpetual.
After 30 years or so, the Bores decided they were tired of that, and were going to mount a challenge. And when Justin "The Savior" Fields came along, they began that battle.
Of course, we now know that was... less than successful.

However, since the Bores got a little taste of competing for a championship they could actually win, they're going all in with the arrival of Savior II.
And there's no stopping them now!

@DH13 posted:

CHI will actually be good.

Maybe, but probably not.
The bears are an up and coming team, ( easy to do when you've sucked for a decade) but they aren't likely to make the playoffs in 2024.
Sometimes fans get fooled by W/L totals, you need to look at the quality of those wins before you give them much credence

Here's a link to the Sagarin Ratings from 2023 and you can see how low the bears are ranked ( 24th) overall . They played the 27th easiest schedule and managed to beat some lousy teams. That's not nothing, but it certainly doesn't warrant the helium- infused hype around the team.
( Mainly from a large, win-starved fan base)

http://sagarin.com/sports/nflsend.htm

Now take a look at how the bears did vs the top competition:

CHI was 1-4 against Top 10 teams
CHI was 1-7 against Top 16 teams

So they played 9 of their 17 games vs below average competition and finished the season 7-10.

Those are not the marks of a talented squad. Now of course the bearsfans will bellow about all of the offseason additions - and they certainly acquired some talent. But none of those players have succeeded in CHI yet and all of them were overpaid FAs and unproven rookies- two groups prone to shortcomings

Then we're adding a rookie QB who has zero experience playing under center, and he's gonna have to learn a whole new way to play the position vs what he did in college. That's a very steep learning curve - and we know that DCs are going to throw the kitchen sink at him early and often. There will be challenges

I think the 2024 season will be a mix of frustration and elation for the bearsfans, and the ratio between the 2 will be much different than bearsfan imagines.
That's just how the NFL works: FA's don't produce as well for their new team, rookies take time to become NFL players, rookie QBs take time before the game slows down for them. In the mean time, they struggle

2025 ? Might be a different story. Might not

That team will go as the QB goes.  If he has a Russell Wilson like rookie year, which he may be fully capable of, they're in the playoffs.  If he struggles, they won't.  The CHI D is not the 2012 SEA D but they're pretty good.  The offense has enough playmakers for Waldron to draw up scores if the OL holds.

Yes. Unfortunately (for Packers' fans), the Bryce Young trade may end up being similar to the Herschel Walker trade that set the Cowboys up for at least half a decade. They are probably going to end up with 5 starters from the trade, and those starters are at arguably 4 of the most important positions in football (QB, WR1, a RT that could become a LT, and DB).

This is who the Bears ended up with for Bryce Young and a 5th round pick.

1. Caleb Williams (Starting QB)

2. DJ Moore (#1 WR)

3. Darnell Wright (starting RT who made all-rookie team)

4. Tyrique Stevenson (starting CB)

5. Tory Taylor (2024 punter)

6. 2025 2nd round pick still to come

Tyrique Stevenson had a pretty strong rookie year too.  Word is they expect him to be very good opposite Jaylon Jennings.  Tory Taylor is supposed to be a field flipper but I haven't heard much since he was drafted.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.