Skip to main content

In the end every team passes on good players every year to take someone they believe they're getting better value on. Having TJ Watt in GB was every Badger/Packer fans wet dream and he likely will be a good player in Pittsburgh, but I don't feel like he did the wrong thing. There's more than 1 right answer. If he can get an impact player at 33 and 108, even if they don't have HOF careers like Watt, it can still be right. As always, I will give the GM who has a ring and has built a perennial contender (and only 2 losing seasons in 12 years) the benefit of the doubt on this. I'm not against pointing out his failures, but lets wait a few more years before we look back and call this a bad move or a missed opportunity. Watt may end up being pretty average and we end up with a Pro Bowler at 33, time will tell. 

Remember when Ted traded out of first round, and a TE (Dustin Keller) drafted by the Jets. Brandon Flowers was drafted by K.C.

Ted drafted a guy named Jordy Nelson after that trade. Will history repeat itself?

Damn, I wanted TreDavious White.

Last edited by Boris
Pikes Peak posted:

Get Lamp....a better O line is good, makes everyone better, #12, recievers, backs and the D.  RTFB!

Yeah I agree. I don't normally agree with taking Guards this early, but if you think that guy is Zach Martin or Travis Frederick then take him. A dominant OL can cover up some major issues. 

Pikes Peak posted:

Get Lamp....a better O line is good, makes everyone better, #12, recievers, backs and the D.  RTFB!

As previously stated by Brainded, fix the defense by hanging 56 points on the opponent.  Ah, the era of The Wizard.

I do like the Sidney Jones proposition.  Even more so if they trade back just a couple of spots in the second and grab another pick.

Last edited by Henry
ChilliJon posted:

I'm sure Ted is going to listen to every offer for 33. But Lamp is special. If it's BPA then Lamp is sitting in Ted's lap. 

Agreed that Lamp is the best player left and I'd have him as the BPA by a pretty wide margin.  Some could argue Dalvin Cook but I'm just not that high on him (add the fact that McCarthy likes to throw, throw, throw and just add in a running play every now and then).

I still think Kevin King will be the pick.  It was difficult when trying to figure out who Thompson would like best among TreDavious White, Kevin King, Chidobe Awuzie and when that trade was made I think White was still available.  I figured Quincy Wilson would be just slightly behind the other three but Thompson could have him right in the same group.  Thompson could have been looking at the board and still see four cornerbacks left that were all in his top tier so why not move down and get the extra pick?

But Cook wouldn't really be that huge of a surprise because when the trade was made it was pretty unlikely that any team picking between 29 and 33 would take him, and just about as unlikely that any team would be trading up from the early second to get him.  I'd be surprised if Cook was the pick just because the way McCarthy runs the offense, but running back is a huge need and Cook is way, way better than any running back left if Mixon has been taken off the board (Kamara has butterfingers even worse than Foreman, Kamara's fumble rate the highest of any running back in this class).  Personally I still think the best running back value is in rounds four and five.

Or else Thompson's favorite guy is someone who just doesn't carry a first round grade and even though Thompson liked him he wasn't willing to spend a first rounder on him.  Tyus Bowser is the first name that comes to mind (#59 on final consensus board).  Maybe we all think he's going to upgrade the pass-rush with an outside linebacker but what if he thinks he needs that upgrade from the defensive line?  Chris Wormley (#49) could be in play.  Maybe I totally missed on who I think his favorite cornerback is.  Maybe Fabian Moreau (#75) is actually his favorite CB and he thinks he can now get a bargain with Moreau down the board due to his injury....can still get his guy and extra pick(s) to boot.

I still think Kevin King will be the pick.  It's just really hard for me to get off the cornerback position considering how awful it was and the team really doesn't have one, proven reliable starter at the position.  Awuzie is right in that mix.

Boris posted:

Remember when Ted traded out of first round, and a TE (Dustin Keller) drafted by the Jets. Brandon Flowers was drafted by K.C.

Ted drafted a guy named Jordy Nelson after that trade. Will history repeat itself?

And that "extra" pick was spent on that bag of phlegm Jeremy Thompson. I sure hope they get a better player with the fourth.

I'd be shocked if Hundley got traded for anything less than a first next year. 

Don't see any team wanting to mortgage the future. But hey....ya never know. Niners?? JETS?

Last edited by Boris
Grave Digger posted:

In the end every team passes on good players every year to take someone they believe they're getting better value on. Having TJ Watt in GB was every Badger/Packer fans wet dream and he likely will be a good player in Pittsburgh, but I don't feel like he did the wrong thing. There's more than 1 right answer.

I don't disagree, but it felt kind of like getting a catheter for Christmas

. If he can get an impact player at 33 and 108, even if they don't have HOF careers like Watt, it can still be right. As always, I will give the GM who has a ring and has built a perennial contender (and only 2 losing seasons in 12 years) the benefit of the doubt on this. I'm not against pointing out his failures, but lets wait a few more years before we look back and call this a bad move or a missed opportunity. Watt may end up being pretty average and we end up with a Pro Bowler at 33, time will tell. 

TT's biggest claim to fame was taking Rodgers, which covers all sorts of sins. He's been solid on offense, but I'd argue TT has not earned any benefit of the doubt drafting defensive players. His record there is downright terrible.

The only reason I don't think he takes Lamp, although I like the pick, is that I don't think he values Guards that much. He's only taken 2 Guards in the first 3 rounds and neither really ended up being that special. Awuzie makes a lot of sense, he gives flexibility, he's a Pac12 guy, he fills a need. King offers less flexibility, but offers higher athletic upside. Cook makes some sense although, as someone pointed out, there must be injury issues that have caused him to slide. Zach Cunningham makes some sense also. Darkhorse guy might be Pat Elflein. 

Herschel posted:
Boris posted:

And that "extra" pick was spent on that bag of phlegm Jeremy Thompson. I sure hope they get a better player with the fourth.

Hopefully the 4th this year is more along the lines of Sitton, Daniels or Buck Cherry.

Can't get 'em all right all the time.

Herschel posted:
Boris posted:

I'm not so sure Thompson takes an OLB in the first three rounds considering he has Matthews, Perry and Fackrell already there and all three are under team control for at least two more seasons.  If he doesn't, #108 is prime OLB territory.  Currently I'd project Vince Biegel/Wisconsin at #108.  Trey Henderickson/Florida Atlantic would be a very solid alternative at that position.  Dawuane Smoot/Illinois would also be a nice get at #108, although I think he'll be off the board by that point (but not unreasonable to think he could make it down that far).

Herschel posted:

TT's biggest claim to fame was taking Rodgers, which covers all sorts of sins. He's been solid on offense, but I'd argue TT has not earned any benefit of the doubt drafting defensive players. His record there is downright terrible.

5 Pro Bowl defenders and 3 or 4 non-Pro Bowl high quality defenders drafted/UDFA in 12 years. I wouldn't call that terrible. He's missed on some guys, but so does every GM. I give him the benefit of the doubt. 

My guess is someone is willing to overpay to move up and TT is happy to oblige.  Like the move last night but TT has to execute when he does make the pick. Way too many misses of late for a team that relies on the draft so heavily.

Last edited by michiganjoe

Find the next team in line  with a GM and/or coach on the hot seat that's now being roasted on talk radio in their home city and see if they'll panic (like the Bears did) and do something ridiculous.

The Packers aren't probably going to get a superstar in Round 2 anyway, so it would be nice to parlay this pick into multiple 3rd and 4th round picks. If a CB was close to a sure thing, they'd have been drafted in top 10. Drop down and draft 2-3 guys to up the odds of someone being a major contributor.

chickenboy posted:
Boris posted:

The Bears will be listening…

They just drafted Trubisky & gave a boatload of picks for him. 

Are you even watching the draft?

QB market is no longer strong.  Media hypes later tier QBs every year to try and drum up interest.  Remember when Christian Hackenberg was going to be a first round pick and teams were going to be placing high bids to get him?  Bryce Petty...same story.  Kizer looks the part but is a mediocre player and while he'll probably be a second round pick, no team will be stupid enough to overpay to get him outside of the Bears and they already used up their one stupid QB move in this draft (and a really stupid move it was!).  Davis Webb is third round material at best.

#33 could still hold big value but it would probably be for Forrest Lamp, not any of the really mediocre QB prospects still left on the board.  Considering how crappy the OL prospects are in this draft, Lamp is the crowned jewel out there right now.

vitaflo posted:

Jags (2.3) and Jets (2.7) could be traders for our spot.  Both need a QB.  Jets also have a 3rd round comp pick to give up.  7 spots is pretty far to fall though.

I think this is a possibility for ted... with the jets being the most likely.  I think getting at least another pick from the jets and getting j willis at olb and k king in the mix would be awesome

Boris posted:
chickenboy posted:
Boris posted:

The Bears will be listening…

They just drafted Trubisky & gave a boatload of picks for him. 

Are you even watching the draft?

Well, the bit was the big deal for Glennon, the 'overpay' to move up for Mitchell so why not another first for Hundley…

And in regards to Hundley, I understand he has been a preseason stat machine but doesn't he have to show something in a meaningful game before he warrants the bounty noted above?

Last edited by chickenboy

"And in regards to Hundley, I understand he has been a preseason stat machine but doesn't he have to show something in a meaningful game before he warrants the bounty noted above?"

As opposed to say the Bears giving up a bounty for a QB that's actually never thrown an NFL pass? Just stop talking for a while. 

I still love the Bears giving up three picks to move up one spot for a player that was going to be there anyways. The only downside is Pace expediting his own firing with moves like that. I'd like to see him tone it down a bit. 

Last edited by ChilliJon

Not to hijack the thread but I think this is what is really starting to piss off a large percentage of the general public when it comes to professional sports.  Mike Glennon was just guaranteed 18.5 million dollars to be nothing but a smokescreen.  The Bears could have cheaply signed someone like Barkley for 10% of that cost to be a one year place-holder so a rookie QB could redshirt, but now it sure looks like they were willing to just throw 18.5 million at a crappy QB to provide the smoke-screen so other teams didn't think they would be interested in Trubisky.  And in the end they overpaid in the trade to get Trubisky anyway which just makes it all the more baffling and just shows how insignificant money is to these franchises.  Well, the money is insignificant until it comes time for them to invest it in a stadium, then it becomes a big deal.  Americans are just plain ****ing stupid to keep giving these guys money in all these stadium deals.

Grave Digger posted:

The only reason I don't think he takes Lamp, although I like the pick, is that I don't think he values Guards that much. He's only taken 2 Guards in the first 3 rounds and neither really ended up being that special. Awuzie makes a lot of sense, he gives flexibility, he's a Pac12 guy, he fills a need. King offers less flexibility, but offers higher athletic upside. Cook makes some sense although, as someone pointed out, there must be injury issues that have caused him to slide. Zach Cunningham makes some sense also. Darkhorse guy might be Pat Elflein. 

Pretty sure I read he's had 2 (maybe 3?) shoulder surgeries.  I'm hoping for Lamp.

Top 20 guys available in my opinion (that fit GB):

Dalvin CookRBFlorida State
Carl LawsonEdgeAuburn
Jordan WillisEdgeKansas State
Tim WilliamsEdgeAlabama
Forrest LampGWestern Kentucky
Zach CunninghamLBVanderbilt
Sidney JonesCBWashington
Cordrea TankersleyCBClemson
Alvin KamaraRBTennessee
Joe MathisEdgeWashington
Ahkello WitherspoonCBColorado
Ethan PocicCLSU
Chidobe AwuzieCBColorado
Kevin KingCBWashington
Zay JonesWREast Carolina

I think this Ahkello Witherspoon might be a guy to keep an eye on. With Gunter and now House on the roster, it makes me think perhaps they're wanting to get longer on the perimeter. Personally I think Kevin King is soft, I don't think he's an immediate starter. His physical talent is undeniable though. 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.