Skip to main content

ChilliJon posted:

"And in regards to Hundley, I understand he has been a preseason stat machine but doesn't he have to show something in a meaningful game before he warrants the bounty noted above?"

As opposed to say the Bears giving up a bounty for a QB that's actually never thrown an NFL pass? Just stop talking for a while. 

I still love the Bears giving up three picks to move up one spot for a player that was going to be there anyways. The only downside is Pace expediting his own firing with moves like that. I'd like to see him tone it down a bit. 

I too like the Bears giving up three picks to move up one spot but you don't know that he would have been there if they would have waited.  I think Cleveland and other teams were also offering SF a deal to trade up and draft Trubisky.

The Heckler posted:
chickenboy posted:

I hope I am reading that right and  I it means stay at #33 and pick someone and not Kizer?

Dunno how to embed tweets but another reporter asked and Rapoport said GB is looking to draft Kizer at 33.

Last edited by vitaflo

Interest to trade up for Kizer. I was sure CLE would take him last night when they traded with GBP.

I think Thompson sits and picks at 33. 

Next 20 guys on my list. *I had these guys with 1st round grade.

*Cam Robinson, OT
*Dalvin Cook, RB
*Deshone Kizer, QB
*Forrest Lamp, OT
*Kevin King, CB
*Malik McDowell, DL

Alvin Kamara, RB
Budda Baker, S
Caleb Brantley, DL
Carl Lawson, EDGE
Chidobe Awuzie, CB
Dan Feeney, G
Derek Rivers, EDGE
Dion Dawkins, OT
Obi Melifonwu, S
Quincy Wilson, CB
Raekwon McMillan, LB
Taylor Moton ,OT
Tim Williams, EDGE
Zach Cunningham, LB

scratched comment

Anyone thinking about Kizer/needing a QB will need to give up a lot to get GB to move back. 

Picks 2 - 6 in 2nd round are SEA, JAX, CHI, LAR, LAC... none need a QB. Chargers might be interested in looking to the future after Rivers?

Moving from 33 to 38, that might be further than Thompson wants with regard to adding some meat to the roster!

*edit* doubt, seriously, that they are thinking about Kizer. Rap has been fed some sh!t from inside 1265... or from Kizer's agent.

Last edited by H5
Hungry5 posted:

scratched comment

Anyone thinking about Kizer/needing a QB will need to give up a lot to get GB to move back. 

Picks 2 - 6 in 2nd round are SEA, JAX, CHI, LAR, LAC... none need a QB. Chargers might be interested in looking to the future after Rivers?

Moving from 33 to 38, that might be further than Thompson wants with regard to adding some meat to the roster!

*edit* doubt, seriously, that they are thinking about Kizer. Rap has been fed some sh!t from inside 1265... or from Kizer's agent.

ummm. jax might be interested in a QB?

I'd be happy with about 10 guys at #33, but I liked Watt more than any of them - we'll see how that works out.  Quincy Wilson, Awuzie and Kevin King at CB, Mixon and Cook at RB, Tyus Bowser and Jordan Willis at OLB, and Cunningham at ILB all would be great value and fit needs.  Guys like Wormley, Budda Baker, and McDowell too, although don't fit needs.  

I think he trades back 6-8 picks, just can't figure out which player is worth moving up for - Kizer is logical but only team in the next 10 picks with a hole at QB is the Jets, and can they really trade up for another second round QB project?  I personally think the Jets are tanking 2017 to get one of the 2018 QBs, but we'll see.  

I'm not on the Lamp bandwagon and would be shocked if TT drafted him.  Pretty clear TT decided guard was not an important position when he cut Sitton and didn't resign Lang.  Hard to believe TT does that and then uses his top pick to take a guard.  Plus, TT found Sitton, Lang, Tretter and Linsley in the 4th and 5th rounds, so doubt he feels pressure to fill the RG spot with a high pick.  

And that 4th round pick might prove to be pretty valuable come tonight or tomorrow.  Say an injury risk like Sidney Jones or Jake Butt falls, they can take him and plan to red shirt without "losing" a potential player for 2017.  Or say a guy falls to the third, TT can use that 4th to move up 15-20 picks to grab the guy he likes who he can't believe fell.  Or maybe he grabs Jeremy Thompson.  Who knows.  Just trying to stay positive.  

Orlando Wolf posted:

If ted can get a second this year plus another pick for hundley, this makes sense

Does it though?  You take a lower 2nd round pick to get rid of a guy who already knows your system and are confident in as a backup to take a rookie who doesn't and also won't ever be a starter on your team?  Not sure "another pick" cuts it here.

I'd rather trade the pick or keep it and not take a QB.  Take a flier on a QB in the later rounds as a 3rd stringer (like we did with Hundley) and start the backup QB cycle again.  Trade Hundley for picks next year.

Co-worker, Bear fan, somewhat shocked with the trade last night. I tried not to laugh... he said, go ahead.  

The moves for QB in round 1 gave teams their guy, and they have him for the next 5 years if it works. I'm now thinking Kizer will fall to the Cardinals (earliest) at 45. He might even fall to the 3rd round.

vitaflo posted:
Orlando Wolf posted:

If ted can get a second this year plus another pick for hundley, this makes sense

Does it though?  You take a lower 2nd round pick to get rid of a guy who already knows your system and are confident in as a backup to take a rookie who doesn't and also won't ever be a starter on your team?  Not sure "another pick" cuts it here.

I'd rather trade the pick or keep it and not take a QB.  Take a flier on a QB in the later rounds as a 3rd stringer (like we did with Hundley) and start the backup QB cycle again.  Trade Hundley for picks next year.

If they want more "meat" on the roster and a team is willing to give a decent pick where ted can draft another bakhtiari.

Truly though, this seems like the same thing we hear every year during free agency..."Packers have real interest in [Insert Name]" or "Packers bringing [Insert Name] in for a visit". It's never true and it's merely agents trying to create buzz for their client. They know GB won't comment publicly or probably even privately on the record. Kizer's agent is trying to drum up interest in his guy. 

Last edited by Grave Digger

The other thing to consider when trading back into the first round to get a QB is the fifth year option that comes with first round picks.  There has been a lot of discussion over the last few weeks how the value of picks late in round one would be elevated because, since so many quarterbacks end up not playing their first year, if a team wants to see the full benefit of taking a quarterback they need to be in the first round.  A grand total of zero teams traded back up into round one yesterday to take a quarterback.  The two trades that were made to get a team back into round one were about as straight-up as anyone could ever expect.  Kizer or Webb are valued so much a team that wanted him couldn't have offered the Packers more than what the Browns did for #29?

This isn't even smoke-screen stuff, this is just bullsh#t made up by the media.  If some GM goes and dramatically overpays for #33 when #31 went for such a reasonable price tag last night...well if that happens the owner should immediately fire that GM because the guy has no clue as to what he is doing.

If Thompson gets some team to overpay for #33 it would be for Lamp (big falloff in OL after him...I actually would have picked Lamp ahead of any of the OTs in this draft) or perhaps Dalvin Cook.  Maybe Cam Robinson since the OT class doesn't really ever have good value anywhere in this draft.  But for a QB?  If that would have happened it would have happened last night.

PackerJoe posted:
michiganjoe posted:

Makes no sense whatsoever.

Historically pi**-poor attempt to create interest  so more people will turn on the TV tonight in the trade market for the 33rd pick.

FTFY.

No way the Packers take Kizer unless they have an amazing offer for Hundley.  TT likely just wants to trade down, so he's trying to create a bidding war.

Grave Digger posted:

The meltdown on this board if he picks Kizer at 33 will be legendary. I almost hope he does it just to see that. It's smoke, in an unusually candid moment last night Ted indicated they're looking to more depth (or meat as he put it) to the roster, so I anticipate we're looking at a pre-2008 Ted draft that had 10-12 picks. 

I've missed that guy. Welcome back, ROTTT.

Just had an odd thought: with TT's fascination with hybrid players, what if his "RB" target is actually Curtis Samuel? He and Monty could platoon so neither gets beaten up too much and they can still have a full compliment rotation to five wide from 1 RB, 2 TE personnel on the field. 

The competition would then be for a short-yardage back.

Last edited by Herschel

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.