Skip to main content

I've watched enough PS football the last couple seasons to come to the opinion that most teams have all the same guys on their 2nd and 3rd strings.  It's really the starters that make the difference.  And the rare team with exceptional depth.

Brak posted:

Eagles are one of those rare teams.  Well, they were last year.  It's pretty amazing to look at all they lost and still managed to win it all.

It's because they aren't paying a franchise QB. They were able to afford a quality backup QB and quality depth at several other positions. 

Would one of our first round picks in the next draft and Clay Matthews be enough to get Mack?    If so, and we can sign him to a fair long term contract then I say do it.

Last edited by Packy

The reason why everyone wants to trade Clay and a pick for Mack is the exact reason why Reggie would never accept it. 

Clay has a year, maybe two left in the tank. 

Put another way. If Mack was a Packer and Gute traded him away for a late 1st and an injury prone 33 year old OLB this site would never recover. 

It's not about the trade capital it would take to land Mack. Pairing his salary demands with what Rodgers is going to be making is simply cost prohibitive. Way too top heavy in maintaining a balanced roster.  

ChilliJon posted:

The reason why everyone wants to trade Clay and a pick for Mack is the exact reason why Reggie would never accept it. 

Clay has a year, maybe two left in the tank. 

Put another way. If Mack was a Packer and Gute traded him away for a late 1st and an injury prone 33 year old OLB this site would never recover. 

100%. I don't think Clay would be a part of any trade unless he agreed to take a pay cut from OAK. Perry would be more likely although it's not like his contract necessarily matches his production at this point either. 

If we traded for Mack we would have to basically tear down and rebuild the defense around him. Clay and Dix would likely be allowed to walk, Perry would have to be reduced or cut, Wilkerson would have to walk, and we probably would have to count on rookies at some key positions for a while. 

Based on what we saw last night I think a wise choice would be to trade our 2nd rounder for Earl Thomas! We can't count on our Safeties for anything at this point. 

His cap number would be 8.5 million and GB has 11.1 million in space. He's looking for a new deal though and likely would command 3 years, $40 mil all with maybe $30 guaranteed. At his age I'm sure the guaranteed dollars are the most important thing for him. 

I'd like to see them bring in Reid: it'd be all salary. When Clinton-Dix walks next year, put Jackson back there and have a backfield with coverage skills across the board. If Jones isn't up to the task, bring back Reid or draft a guy. 

Because he's probably a bit slow for the boundary full time, especially if Alexander and King work out, he has tremendous instincts for when QBs try to throw across the middle and he can cover a receiver when he gets isolated on him and he'll be on the field even in "base". 

Josh Jackson isn’t a safety. Quentin Rollins isn’t a corner. Casey Hayward wasn’t just slot corner. Micah Hyde is a pure safety. Brett Hundley sucks ass. 

Not sure why any of this is up for discussion. 

Josh Jackson is a pure boundary cover guy and will be a fine long term answer once Tramon decides its all been a blast. 

Josh reminds me of Tramon. Quiet. Quick. Unassuming. 

Tramon is going to teach these kids the Rule of Woodson. See ball. Get ball. By any means necessary.

Great signing. Both of them. 

And if Alexander and King are both good too, do you have one of your best four d-backs on the bench in base? Even if it's maybe 25% of the time (probably 20% non-goal line or short yardage) do you have him on your bench?

I nickel/dime, slide him in to corner, if that's the personnel you have, but get and keep your best cover guys on the field. Right now they have porous coverage and ****ty tackling at the spot. At least cover one of those. 

Last edited by Herschel

Considering the absolute dearth at OLB that actually makes sense.  That Oren Burks pick is looking more and more essential as this TC progresses.  Right now the functioning core of this defense is D-line (pretty damn good), Oren Burks and Martinez and then D-backs, who are probably going to be covering guys a lot longer than necessary.  House has always been pretty physical in press coverage but gets beat when he bites since he doesn't recover that well.  He may be alright working at FS in a pinch.

Josh Jones is starting to sound like a complete washout as well.  I was hoping keeping him at one position would help him to start to contribute.  Converting him and keeping him at LB doesn't mean he won't be a ding-dong but he's the same size as Anthony Thomas and his kill shot mentality may actually utilize his skills in some way while adding depth at LB, which is total ****.  

Unfortunately, it's all a band-aid at best.  It's the first year of Pettine's system.  It's hard to get a read on any of this.  I don't expect it to be as piss poor as what we've seen come opening day but the holes on this defense are really starting to show. 

Josh Jackson can absolutely play the boundary corner.   Don’t make the same mistake they made with Casey Hayward.   He’s not fast enough.  He’s not big enough.  They typecast him and it was a major mistake.   

He’s got top level instincts and ball skills.  He also doesn’t seem to shy away from tackling.   Jackson isn’t a burner but so what.   He can play.  

King is probably the best out of the CB group but I have zero confidence he will stay healthy.  He’s basically the Nick Perry of the defensive backfield.  That’s why it’s good to have as many decent corners as they can. 

As for safety, well that’s a different story.  It’s a mess.  Jones has talent but doesn’t appear to be the smartest guy and Dix is sleepwalking.  I like Brice but like King he can’t seem to stay out of the training room.  

While I think it’s unlikely Seattle would deal Thomas to a conference rival I do like the idea of kicking the tires. 

Henry posted:

Josh Jones is starting to sound like a complete washout as well.  I was hoping keeping him at one position would help him to start to contribute.  Converting him and keeping him at LB doesn't mean he won't be a ding-dong....

Josh Jones looked like a promising pick, not sure what's going on with him cause he has the physical goods....stupid maybe ?

Packers are playing a little catch-up after missing on multiple high picks in recent drafts. The 3 previous drafts :

• Damarius Randall - D1
  • Quenton Rollins - D2
  • Jason Spriggs - D2
  • Kyle Fackrell - D3
  • Josh Jones - D2

Agreed 

TT must have over indulged on the Bud Light before making those selections 

Randall can play he’s just an idot knucklehead.   Rollins and Fackrell were just swings and misses.   Jones doesn’t strike me as the brightest bulb and Spriggs just has no confidence 

After rewatching the Bengals game from last year I think Jones needs to add some bulk and be at SLB full time. The way Burks has played and considering our DL depth, I think a 43 look with a front 7 of Perry, Daniels, Clark, CM, Burks, Mart, and Jones is actually pretty solid. Mart comes off the field in passing situations. 

Those are pretty big misses.  The Spriggs pick still baffles me.  I was optimistic, but he had the Tarzan/Jane rap coming out of Purdue and he sure has lived up to that criticism.  I get there is a lot of technique playing tackle but when his excuse is "I haven't learned how to move with the extra weight".  What?  You put on some pounds and now you forgot how to walk?  ****, I remember when I lost 50 pounds and I was falling on my face with every other step.  ****ing dumb****.

My bad: Indiana.  I knew it was somewhere in the Alabama of the Midwest.

Last edited by Henry

Packers need a strong leader veteran to step up and show the kids what it means to play to win.  Maybe sit down and talk with them?  Praying?  Chase strippers?  Kneeling during the Trump Pledge?  Whatever? 

Anybody know what happened to Warren?  Spahn?

Spriggs was a monster in college and played well against good competition.  However, it’s not like Indiana football is churning out decent prospects. 

He reminds me a bit of Ricky Wagner.  Very good OT at Wisconsin but struggled early on in the pros but became a reliable player.  

Last edited by Tschmack

It’s all mental with Spriggs. There’s no reason he should be struggling, he has the physical makeup and the attitude to be a great OL. Don’t know if he’s just a dummy and doesn’t get it or just isn’t wired right for football, but he can’t seem to handle when the DL does something other than what he expects them to do. Maybe he would benefit from a Mike Wahle type switch? Mike had a lot of similar problems before settling in nicely at LG.

Last edited by Grave Digger

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.