Skip to main content

Interesting question. Based on his draft slot and his performance thus far, can't imagine Oakland would take less than 2 1st rounders for Mack. If the Saints do well and GB does well, say GB's picks were 27 and 32, that's not that bad of a trade. If the Saints suck and one of those picks his high, then we start to lose on that value. 

Last edited by Grave Digger

The draft picks aren’t the problem. Mack is looking for $23 million / season and something in the ballpark of $80 million guaranteed. So is Aaron Donald. One of them will set the market for the other. 

Mack is a great player. He’s probably going to get something close to $23 million per from someone. Probably Oakland. 

If it’s just draft picks you make the deal immediately. One (or both) 2019 1st round picks is likely an edge rusher. Edge will be the biggest need in the draft by far next to OL. Why not use both for Mack? Clay is likely gone in 2019 as well. 

The money is why it’s not likely to happen though. 

Last edited by ChilliJon
ChilliJon posted:. 

The money is why it’s not likely to happen though. 

Apparently, the Packers are looking at clearing a ton of cap space in 2019. 

CMIII, Randall Cobb, Nick Perry (if he does not return to 2016 form, the Packers can clear his salary with a minimal cap hit), Bryan Bulaga, and HHCD.

Granted, yes, any of the above GB could retain or re-sign but the estimates are that the Packers could be looking at clearing some 60 million in space if they choose to move on from those players. 

Mack is a terrific player and a franchise guy not unlike a young CMII was or a Von Miller or JJ Watt. I'd have no issues giving up what would likely be 2 late firsts in 2019. 

IF, and it's an IF, they would move on from CMIII and say Cobb, you'd be looking at a 23 million dollar combined cap number in 2019 no longer on the books. If they say traded Nick Perry along with a 2019 1st round pick, that would be 10.750 mil off their cap just from him alone. 

Adams, a forgotten 3rd round draft choice from last season, is having a pretty good camp. 

Fedya posted:
Henry posted:

Brett Hundley has trade value.  Package him up with Marvin Martini, trade to Cleveland for Joe Thomas.  Joe Thomas and Khalil Mack straight up.  

Too bad the Packers no longer have Jeff Janis! to trade.

That's no big deal. The Browns don't have Joe Thomas either. Seems like a fair trade.

LOOK! 

MichiganPacker posted:
Fedya posted:
Henry posted:

Brett Hundley has trade value.  Package him up with Marvin Martini, trade to Cleveland for Joe Thomas.  Joe Thomas and Khalil Mack straight up.  

Kumerow must have some value. He's clearly Janis with better hair.

And a winning smile.  

packerboi posted:

Adams, a forgotten 3rd round draft choice from last season, is having a pretty good camp. 

Just compelled to point out that reaching your potential is, thankfully, much better than reaching for your special purpose.

Henry posted:
MichiganPacker posted:
Fedya posted:
Henry posted:

Kumerow must have some value. He's clearly Janis with better hair.

And a winning smile.  

First teamer on the All-Tom Crabtree team! download

Attachments

Images (1)
  • download
Barking Pumpkin posted:
packerboi posted:

Just compelled to point out that reaching your potential is, thankfully, much better than reaching for your special purpose.

Maybe you're doing it wrong?

RochNyFan posted:
DH13 posted:

Very interesting proposition.

Would you trade one of the first round picks and CMIII for Mack?  I would.

No effing way.

I would trade one of the first rounders ONLY & contingent on which-ever pick is the LOWER pick of the 2.

I saw the article with 3 options to trade for Mack. Completely disagreed with all of it.

Mack is worth a low first round pick - but that's it

Players usually think other players are worth 75 trillion draft picks.

Those 2 - first rounders next year have the potential to be HOF players - Every GM in the league knows what future first round picks are worth. They're the lifeblood of any organization, **** up on enough first round selections & you're the Cleveland Browns.

There are only 2 positions on the field I'd trade 1st round picks & 1st round players/talent for.

QB & LT

That's it...that's the list

Brainwashed Boris posted:

Players usually think other players are worth 75 trillion draft picks.

Those 2 - first rounders next year have the potential to be HOF players - Every GM in the league knows what future first round picks are worth. They're the lifeblood of any organization, **** up on enough first round selections & you're the Cleveland Browns.

There are only 2 positions on the field I'd trade 1st round picks & 1st round players/talent for.

QB & LT

That's it...that's the list

I'd consider a superstar DL/edge rusher (JJ Watt) or a shut down #1 corner as well. 

I get all of the above. The one thing I never understood is why you wouldn’t trade a high draft pick for a player who has proved they can already perform at an elite level in NFL?  In my “who really gives a ****” opinion, it would seem the better odds to trade even a high #1 for Mack if you were convinced you could sign him long term and were convinced he was on-board from a motivational perspective. I know finances obviously come into play, but I’m talking about from a talent perspective. I’d be more apt to want the “known” vs the “unknown”. To think you can get a player of Mack’s ability in the draft late 1st round is sure a possibility, but I’d say chances aren’t great.

Then again, GB probabaly already has decided to package one their 1st rounders with another draft pick and a player to move into the Top 5 in next year’s draft so what the **** do I know?

Last edited by Tavis Smiley
Tavis Smiley posted:

I get all of the above. The one thing I never understood is why you wouldn’t trade a high draft pick for a player who has proved they can already perform at an elite level in NFL?  In my “who really gives a ****” opinion, it would seem the better odds to trade even a high #1 for Mack if you were convinced you could sign him long term and were convinced he was on-board from a motivational perspective. I know finances obviously come into play, but I’m talking about from a talent perspective. I’d be more apt to want the “known” vs the “unknown”. To think you can get a player of Mack’s ability in the draft late 1st round is sure a possibility, but I’d say chances aren’t great.

Then again, GB probabaly already has decided to package one their 1st rounders with another draft pick and a player to move into the Top 5 in next year’s draft so what the **** do I know?

The "if you were convinced you could sign him" remark I think is the key.  I would not give the farm if he were a one year rental.  But otherwise, yeah, we don't know what exactly they are thinking.  It is clear though that Gute is willing to get a free agent under the right circumstances.  If Mack wants 28 mill/year, and AR wants 31 mill/year, that is a lot to cram under the cap. 

Last edited by Ghost of Lambeau
Barking Pumpkin posted:
packerboi posted:

As long as Adams is putting the QB on the ground on a regular basis, I don't really care about "special purpose" or "potential".  He would then have the "it" factor going for him. 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.