Skip to main content

Loving Brian Gutekunst right now, and not just for the Alexander trade.

Here's the thing I love about Gutekunst. When he sees a problem or deficiency, he attacks it via multiple angles. He doesn't just sign one FA, he drafts the position as well.

I think the McCarthy/Gutekunst duo are going to have a fantastic run in Green Bay.

We have three rookie WR's that can't cuff their pants but there is no way we'll see all 3 of them active on game day.  At best we'll see Moore with the most snaps and then it'll be a bonus if we see much of either EQ or Exxon, maybe near the EZ.  So really we have Graham and Lewis as near locks in the "tall red zone threat" department - the rest is just optimism.  Plus I'm guessing AR/MM would prefer safer vets in the red zone than "raw" rookies.  

Depending on injuries and development, that could completely change by Dec.

Herschel posted:

It'll be interesting to see if McCarthy and Philbin copy the Philly thing and start rolling in some versatile three TE sets around the end zone and in short yardage. Graham blocks about as well as DikPlod but that might be enough for that formation. 

And then have one of the TEs throw a pass to Aaron in the end zone!

Goobly being active in late stages is nice.  Makes me feel better about Opie Whizburger.  Obviously not a superstar but competent.  I'll take competent.

Haven't heard anything on Evans but if he wants to play why not?  At minimum he's good depth and rotation.  I wouldn't slot him as a starter but if he's good with his role I'd keep him on.  If he legitimately gets beat out, so be it. 

packerboi posted:

So he's Mike Remmers, a middle-class man's Riley Rieff, or (as Michiganjoe points out) a Marshall Newhouse. Not who you want as a full-time starter, but as a depth guy  who can get you through a game or two, what's not to like? 

Last edited by Herschel

Tre Boston and Johnathan Hankins are still available, both are quality under the radar guys who could contribute. Hankins would be a luxury, but would instantly give us the deepest rotation of interior DL in the league. Boston is the kind of coverage FS we desperately need, he would allow Haha to not sit 30 yards deep every play, we could actually get some coverage in the short and intermediate throws.

Now that we've signed both TE Lewis and OT/G Bell, I was wondering if it's realistic to think Gutekunst could sign anyone else. So looked again at this list of top 50 http://nfltraderumors.co/top-2...fl-free-agents-list/ and mapped just the top 25 there against the remaining areas I'd love to further improve with a decent veteran, in rank order:

OLB: Ayers (32), Galette (30), Barwin (31) - Tough to get excited about any of these guys, but all are probably better in 2018 than Biegel, Gilbert, Fackrell and wouldn't be expensive

ILB: Kendricks (27), Bowman (30), Cushing (31) - I'm OK with Martinez as one of the two starters and bringing in 3rd round rookie Burks on obvious passing downs, but think Kendricks would be a dynamite starter next to Martinez instead of Ryan. Maybe he'd cost too much? Not sure what Bowman, Cushing offer with their injury history.

S: Reid (26), Vaccaro (27), Boston (26), Branch (31), Mitchell (31), Ward (31) - Would love to have Reid, not force Josh Jones into starting.  Also insurance against losing Clinton-Dix next year. And can't believe Reid would be expensive. Vaccaro not a bad option either. The rest of these guys not so much.

WR: Bryant (29), Maclin (30), Decker (31), Inman (29) - We've talked plenty about Bryant. Guessing Packers have no interest in him or any of these other guys.

QB: None listed in top 50, but still would like a Matt Moore backing up Rodgers, keep Kizer as #3 on the active roster. Just hard to think Kizer will be ready to win games if he's asked to start in '18.

Thoughts?

Last edited by sschumer - Packer Fan HoF'r

I like Junior Galette, in a non-starting/situational role. Pretty good with the Saints, but had the one bad season last year with Washington. If the price is reasonable...

Not a fan of Vaccaro, seems to give up a lot of big plays each season.  But I do like Reid.  Big guy, big hitter. If the price is reasonable...

I don't see the Packers spending additional money on another QB unless they can get one better than Gum-chewer for the same price (which is just about anyone).

Additional players will become available over the next 2 1/2 months.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.