Skip to main content

If GB can produce an interior pass rush (highly likely they will), then some decent lanes should open up for BOTH inside and outside LB's. I also think Pettine will create some creative pass rush from hybrid safeties/LB like Josh Jones as well. 

Energy is going to be so different. So will the focus, accountability, and understanding of the D. This should be a fun show to watch. 

packerboi posted:

If GB can produce an interior pass rush (highly likely they will), then some decent lanes should open up for BOTH inside and outside LB's. I also think Pettine will create some creative pass rush from hybrid safeties/LB like Josh Jones as well. 

Energy is going to be so different. So will the focus, accountability, and understanding of the D. This should be a fun show to watch. 

If you look at Pettine's best defense (2009 Jets), he didn't have a pass rusher of even Perry's caliber. They weren't ranked highly in sacks (18th), but they were the best in the league at limiting big plays (2nd in 20+ and 1st in 40+) and pressuring the QB. He did that with a strong interior (which he has) and strong ILB play (hopefully he has). They allowed a league low QB rating of 58 without a single player totaling more than 8 sacks. Sacks are great obviously, but as long as we're affecting the QB on every pass then we will be successful...quickest way there is right up the middle.  

We  are talking potential here. And "past performance does not indicate future returns". Yet, I like that potential for a better defense. I was so very tired  of Doms defense that I am willing to tie my hopes to the new guy. As others have mentioned the new guy will bring a change to how we play and the new players seem to be on board. The pass rush will come from inside more and the DB's will not be playing 10 yards off the ball. My expectation is that screens and the middle of the field will not go uncontested anymore. Even a slight improvement will make a big difference in the W/L record this season.

Last edited by PackerPatrick

Agree, Patrick. I really like the potential to be better. Anything over Dom's D. I got so tired of watching guys line up eight yards off the LOS when it was third-and-2. I'm not totally drinking Pettine's KoolAid just yet, but I'm filling the cup. 

The point wasn’t that we will have success because the Jets did in 2009, but rather that Pettine is capable of manufacturing a pass rush whether he has elite pass rushers or not. He puts more pressure on CBs, which is why that position was emphasized early (beyond just the value of Jackson in r2). 

Just don't expect not to see the middle attacked or a screen pass executed against the new D.  The important point is to reduce the occurrences.  Even the best D's will give up those plays from time to time.

DH I Agree, I just want us to "Contest" a few of them at least. Even the draft seems to project players who can do that better than we have in the past. I was surprised when we picked Burks. Yet now I understand why, if he was picked to cover the TE and has the speed to do that. Our new CB's can actually cover so there will be a slight hesitation from the opposing QB before he throws, giving our pass rush a bit more time to get home. Also, I hope we can do a better job sniffing out RB screens or have the speed to deal with them once run.

I wonder if this draft was designed to help our "New" defense?

DH13 posted:

Though the AR-O wasn't yet at full blossom at that point, that NYJ D held us to 3 FG's.

Actually, that was 2010.  And the Packers shut the Jets out.  Tough to believe considering the defensive performances of the past several years.

Last edited by Fedya

Dom was fully on his game in 2010 & had a tremendously motivated Charles Woodson - the league caught up (they always do) you must be dynamic & constantly adjust (see Patriots & Steelers) or else you will fall way behind.

Enough about the past.....

ONWARD!!!

I agree Boris. I expect big changes and Mo and Twill were great additions on defense. JG on offense will help. I wonder if another FA will come available. The GBP’s blew any chance for a comp pick anyway. 

Fedya posted:
DH13 posted:

Though the AR-O wasn't yet at full blossom at that point, that NYJ D held us to 3 FG's.

Actually, that was 2010.  And the Packers shut the Jets out.  Tough to believe considering the defensive performances of the past several years.

Actually I know that.  But the D couldn't have changed that much.  

H5 is right. I was just late to the party. 

I'm not sure how a possible sexual assault/scandal post wound up in a FA thread, but I've never given anybody the Hot Cosby. 

Believe it or not, Mrs. Timmy has a few Favre cards, including rookies. I don't think they have any particular value, she just enjoyed getting them at the time. That was a hobby I wasn't going to start for myself, so I never developed an appreciation for football cards, like some people......
Also, during that time (late 80's to mid-90's?) it seemed there were dozens, if not hundreds, of card manufacturers and that was a big turn-off. Perhaps BK can offer his thoughts/comments for a better perspective.

I'm not sure how a post about card collecting winds up in a FA thread.... 

Wait.... WHAT?!?!? 3rd rounder from last year?? BB NEVER misses!!

1 thing I'll say about BB - if he's wrong about a player, he doesn't let them "hang around" littering up the roster - Ron Wolf was always telling us - "If you make a mistake, the worst thing you can do is keep said mistake hanging around."

Or words to that effect anyway.

michiganjoe posted:

Speaking of potential bad pick littering up the roster, I'd say it's now or never time for Jason Spriggs.

Agree about Spriggs, but I think his roster spot is much safer than the guy drafted 1 round below him in 2016 Fackrell.

MM saying lots of nice things about Reggie Gilbert, Biegel should be healthy and getting a chance, and Fackrell is not exactly a young 3rd year player.

Got to think Kyler is exactly the type of 3rd round pick BB would send packing.

Timmy! posted:

H5 is right. I was just late to the party. 

I'm not sure how a possible sexual assault/scandal post wound up in a FA thread, but I've never given anybody the Hot Cosby. 

Believe it or not, Mrs. Timmy has a few Favre cards, including rookies. I don't think they have any particular value, she just enjoyed getting them at the time. That was a hobby I wasn't going to start for myself, so I never developed an appreciation for football cards, like some people......
Also, during that time (late 80's to mid-90's?) it seemed there were dozens, if not hundreds, of card manufacturers and that was a big turn-off. Perhaps BK can offer his thoughts/comments for a better perspective.

I'm not sure how a post about card collecting winds up in a FA thread.... 

Correto-to-mundo Timmy.

The  late 80's-90's corporate whoring of sports cards renders most practically value-less. You can buy Topps box sets from that era and pay more for shipping than you pay for 600 cards. There was a lot of artificial specialty crap that happened that interests me in the least.....give me my 1953 Topps Spahn as a great card to look at and own all day long.....who wants to look at an Andre Rison card, anyway?

http://www.kevinsavagecards.com/ItemImages/000341/341366a_med.jpeg

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.