Skip to main content

Chongo posted:

Reggie White was a transformational, generational player. No matter where he played, he was unstoppable. He made some average players in GB around him better...Pro Bowl better. Sean Jones, Gilbert Brown, Santana Dotson...all benefitted from having #92 reigning Hell down on every snap. He was the best at EVERY facet of DL...he could pass rush, run stop...hell, he could have probably even dropped into coverage.

Khalil Mack, while a very fine player, isn't even in the same conversation as #92. But Chicago just paid for him like he was the second-coming. 

The White/Mack analogy was never a comparison between White/Mack. 

The point is that it’s never a bad idea to add one of the best defensive players in football to your roster. Reggie was the best defensive player in 92. Mack is one of the best defensive players in 2018. Bears payed a steep price though so time will tell if this makes the overall team better. 

A straight White vs Mack comparison is silly and no one is going to attempt that argument in 2018. 

Seahawks want a 1st for Earl Thomas

That's tough because he's 29 and has missed 7 games over the last 2 years and still makes a top 5 salary for Safeties. He's set to be a FA and likely wants to capture some of the guaranteed $'s floating around these days. It would be nice to have 2 1st rounders, but it would also would be nice to have a reliable leader in the secondary like Thomas. He would make a huge difference back there, especially with so much youth at CB, Thomas could cover a lot of mistakes. 

Do you mean you're worried about introducing a guy who has held out into our lockerroom where there are no players who have held out? I think our team has avoided holdouts by 1) being responsible with the cap and 2) taking care of core players and/or letting them know where they stand. Other than Rodgers I don't think we've had a player that had enough leverage to hold out either, but GB wouldn't/isn't immune to holdouts. Thomas is in the right on this, he's been an outstanding player and leader for their team and all he's looking for is long term security or to go somewhere that will give him long term security. It's a longshot that Seattle would send an all-pro player to a key conference rival, but I hope Gute is inquiring. 

PackerPatrick posted:

Great player. But do we really want a holdout bug? It can be infectious to a locker room. 

I thought the same thing about Khalil Mack, who had 2 years remaining on his contract with the Raiders and was set to make 13.8 million this year.

Thomas is entering the final year of his contract, which is a little different.   

Also he actually ended up reporting, so it's pretty much academic at this point.

Thomas. Yes. Bell. Not so much. Between the weed and the money it’s been a while since a player with that kind of ability got in his own way as often as he has. 

Bell and Lacy are both becoming examples of bad decisions. 

ChilliJon posted:

LeVeon Bell situation went really ugly this afternoon. Most of the starting OL basically telling him to beat it. 

Really weird. I thought the players backed each other. I bet none of those ****ers would be thrilled with the franchise tag.

Personally, if I was Leveon I would force a trade. Got to make hay while you can.

Goalline posted:
ChilliJon posted:

LeVeon Bell situation went really ugly this afternoon. Most of the starting OL basically telling him to beat it. 

Really weird. I thought the players backed each other. I bet none of those ****ers would be thrilled with the franchise tag.

Personally, if I was Leveon I would force a trade. Got to make hay while you can.

Especially as a RB. A franchise LT (or most OL in general) can play and get paid well until their early 30s. The RBs generally are done with peak earning potential by 26-27. Also, an OL tears an ACL, he doesn't lose much value. That's usually the beginning of the end for a RB. 

The RBs have it worse than anyone. A guy like Bell gets hit hard 35-40 times a game from guys with a running start (either carrying the ball or filling in to pick up a blitzer). The OL guys hit guys coming out of a stance. 

ChilliJon posted:

Teams don’t value RBs like good RBs feel they should be valued. 

The Franchise Tag needs to go away. It’s divisive. 

That’s what they say, but every player is different. How good were the Cowboys without Zeke Elliot? The Steelers offense is a lot worse without Bell.

Last edited by Goalline

I get why Pitt OL guys are bent. Think back over the last few years with Bell and remember how announcerns would gush how Bell “delayed in the backfield with incredible patience” until a hole upended up then went upfield. 

The OL relearned how to stay on blocks and move lanes for him. 

i get why he wants security. But Bell is ****ting on guys that wont miss his lack of appreciation. At all. 

Bell really needs to show up tomorrow. Sign a long term deal with Pitt and tell everyone he’s sorry. 

I wouldn’t trade much or pay much for Bell. 

Last edited by ChilliJon

Yeah, but they way the Steelers block for Bell is essentially the same way they block for pass plays. That dude is God’s gift to their passing game. Most RBs can’t produce in that blocking scheme.

Dude would love to sign a long term deal, but they keep franchising him.

Last edited by Goalline
Goalline posted:

Yeah, but they way the Steelers block for Bell is essentially the same way they block for pass plays. That dude is God’s gift to their passing game. Most RBs can’t produce in that blocking scheme.

The Steelers are unlikely to ever sign him to a long term deal. They know it. He knows it. They'll discard him as soon as he slips a little - and RBs can go quickly downhill even without any injury. Remember when we were debating whether Eddie Lacy was in Bell's class? 

Ryan Shazier set this team’s mind right. Thank God he’s ok.  But the OL is spot on. They’ll block for James Conner like he can’t be touched. 

Tomlin has always had the pulse of his team. I’m sure he’d love to have Bell but he knows he doesn’t have time to pasify 52 guys that are sick of Bell’s bull****. 

Last edited by ChilliJon

Tried to bolster the pass rush with Anthony Zettel. At least they're trying. Even in a bad year for GB we are still low on the priority list. 

MichiganPacker2 posted:
Goalline posted:

The Steelers are unlikely to ever sign him to a long term deal. They know it. He knows it. They'll discard him as soon as he slips a little - and RBs can go quickly downhill even without any injury. Remember when we were debating whether Eddie Lacy was in Bell's class? 

Man, I loved Eddie Lacy those first 2 years.  He turned out to be a pretty good complement to Rodgers when Rodgers was healthy.  Eddie was able to take advantage of teams that tried to play all nickel or dime as he was a tough guy for DBs to bring down.  Unfortunately, we only got 2 really good years out of Eddie.  But for those 2 years he really was probably a top 10 NFL RB (Closer to 10 than 1, but still very good). 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.