Skip to main content

I talked with Daughter #2 last night.  She lives just north of Charlotte, NC.  Last night she indicated that weather forecasts for their area are all over the place - predicting any where from 2 to 20 inches of rain.  When I looked up this morning the prediction for them was a "manageable" 6 inches of rain with 40 mph winds.  Also schools are closed for today and tomorrow in their area.  She thinks that is were some of the displaced people might stay temporarily.  That daughter is the one with the OI child - who provided me with a new favorite quote.  Last week that OI child went to public pre-school for the first time.  She is still very small for her age, but doesn't take a nap any more at home.  So after her first day she said, "it was exhausting taking a nap".  Made me smile anyway. 

El-Ka-Bong posted:

Why would you want science when you can pray the hurricane away.  

And while we are at it, can we stop using math too?  Just say whatever number you want enough times and it will be true.  

And literacy, **** literacy.  

I'd like to see a resurgence of home economics.  I was awesome in that class.  

Last edited by Henry
Fandame posted:

I sucked at Home Ec. I really wanted to take Shop, but they wouldn't let me oh so long ago. We had to make some stupid apron that I practically failed on, when I know I would have killed it making that birdhouse.  

You're the best.

I made a neon orange gingham apron and wore it around school (not so much in a capricious, cheeky way either).  I think I still have it.  I also made a lemon meringue pie with a full cup of lemon juice.  Worth it.  

I almost cut my thumb off in shop.  I tried to hide it because I was ****ing around.  The trail of blood gave me away.  

Last edited by Henry
Ghost of Lambeau posted:

I talked with Daughter #2 last night.  She lives just north of Charlotte, NC.  Last night she indicated that weather forecasts for their area are all over the place - predicting any where from 2 to 20 inches of rain.  When I looked up this morning the prediction for them was a "manageable" 6 inches of rain with 40 mph winds.  Also schools are closed for today and tomorrow in their area.  She thinks that is were some of the displaced people might stay temporarily.  That daughter is the one with the OI child - who provided me with a new favorite quote.  Last week that OI child went to public pre-school for the first time.  She is still very small for her age, but doesn't take a nap any more at home.  So after her first day she said, "it was exhausting taking a nap".  Made me smile anyway. 

Experienced Hugo when we lived in that same area of NC (Lexington), pretty scary, it hit before dawn & sounded like a train. You could hear trees / limbs falling but couldn't see if they were yours. We got off easy, only lost 1/2 a tree, many on our street had significant home / car / deck damage. 

Last edited by FLPACKER
Brak posted:
Henry posted:

I almost cut my thumb off in shop.  I tried to hide it because I was ****ing around.  The trail of blood gave me  away.  

Were you high?  Weed plus bandsaw can be mindblowing, but it doesn't come without risk.

I decided to use an industrial bandsaw to carve out small letters for my own nefarious uses using **** pine scrap wood.  The S gave me some problems. 

I never took home ec or "shop".  And at the risk of getting thrown out of X4, I embraced science.  It may or may not be the work of the devil, but it has made for a nice career for me.  Now if I can only figure out how this relates to the Packers.  Might require some abstract thinking - which doesn't make sense, applies no science, can't be measured, or manufactured in a shop.  

Henry posted:
Brak posted:
Henry posted:

I almost cut my thumb off in shop.  I tried to hide it because I was ****ing around.  The trail of blood gave me  away.  

Were you high?  Weed plus bandsaw can be mindblowing, but it doesn't come without risk.

I decided to use an industrial bandsaw to carve out small letters for my own nefarious uses using **** pine scrap wood.  The S gave me some problems. 

I think it was the 8th grade when we got introduced to the lathes in wood shop. 
Everybody in the class were making bowls or vases of some kind, which involved gluing blocks of wood together, then rounding it out on the bandsaw before chucking to the lathe.
I somehow developed a skill for this, and cut many a classmate's project to get them started. Of course, showing off one day ("Here, let me show you how a pro does it..."), I ran all fingertips on left hand right into the blade.
Tried to hide it, too. But when they were still bleeding at the end of the next class, I had to throw in the towel. Plus the instructor chewed my ass good the next day for not informing him, but in the nicest way possible.

ammo posted:

Had a woodworking class my senior year.  I wanted to refinish a gun stock but didn't have a long enough screwdriver at home to get it off.   So I carried my 303 British right down the school hallway like I was carrying a book.  Of course this was 1973.  I would probably get shot if I did that today. 

Yes I believe an adult man wielding a rifle through the hallways of school would be grounds to get you shot...

Sophomore year. Unlocked Geometry teachers desk while he went for walks during tests and stole his stack of Hustler magazines. Took photos of them with a 35mm SLR and then developed them in 6th period graphic arts class (and this was old school Greg Brady dark room development stuff) and then put the Hustler cover black and whites back in his desk that showed his name and address along with requested grades. 

Got an A in that class. Don’t know much geometry.....

Mr Studdard should have stayed closer to his desk. 

This was 4 of us on the baseball team in Mr Studdards class. We just wanted to prove out those Hustlers. I was the one in Mr Odegards Graphic Arts class. That's where the darkroom negative development idea came from. We knew no one was getting worse than a B after we slipped those black and whites into his desk. 

Got a D in German that year. And my mom was born in Dusseldorf. 

Last edited by ChilliJon
PackerPatrick posted:

I live in Folly Beach, SC. It’s a barrier island just south of Charleston. Hugo took most of the roofs off. I lost half of mine and five trees. It flooded halfway in the lower part of the house that I had at the time. The whole community was shut down for weeks. No power etc.

I love Folly Beach!   Since my pops moved to Clemson area I go for a few days every time I visit him.   I make the excuse that it's too expensive to fly direct to GSP so we have to fly into Charleston instead.  Then we might as well stay and enjoy the beaches for a few days since we're there, right?

Last time I was there I did half day fishing charter, inland, and caught a bunch of redfish and black drum.  Good times.  

Last edited by BrainDed

Sophomore year. Unlocked Geometry teachers desk while he went for walks during tests and stole his stack of Hustler magazines. Took photos of them with a 35mm SLR and then developed them in 6th period graphic arts class (and this was old school Greg Brady dark room development stuff) and then put the Hustler cover black and whites back in his desk that showed his name and address along with requested grades. 

Got an A in that class. Don’t know much geometry.....

When you look back on all the crap you learned in high school, it's a wonder you can think at all?

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.