Skip to main content

If it turns out that is all true about them keeping Boyle.... that is great news.  I think it is pretty obvious that there's something different about him compared to most rookie FA QBs that enter the NFL.  At least as far as the Packers go, I've never seen any FA QB that the Pack has brought in that impressed me as much as Boyle in the 40 years I've been watching them.  I don't remember Kurt Warner when he was here at all even though he clearly was the best of that lot.   

fightphoe93 posted:

If it turns out that is all true about them keeping Boyle.... that is great news.  I think it is pretty obvious that there's something different about him compared to most rookie FA QBs that enter the NFL.  At least as far as the Packers go, I've never seen any FA QB that the Pack has brought in that impressed me as much as Boyle in the 40 years I've been watching them.  I don't remember Kurt Warner when he was here at all even though he clearly was the best of that lot.   

It will be interesting to see what happens with Boyle. He looks good so far against the scrubs and has some arm strength, but as pointed out in the article he didn't exactly distinguish himself in college (12 TDS and 26 Ints for his career). His career stats would give him an NFL QB ranking of 60. You might expect a potentially raw, talented QB in low level college program to throw some interceptions, but you'd expect a lot of TDs and good plays as well. That didn't happen at that level.

http://stats.washingtonpost.co...layers.asp?id=227501

I don't think the Saints see Hill as the future...

A 3rd rounder for Teddy? I thought GB should give him a look, I'm glad they didn't for a 3rd rounder! That's crazy for a backup QB unless they know this is Brees last year and wanted a veteran stopgap.

I mean. 

Gotta keep hope alive, right? 

packerboi posted:

I mean. 

Gotta keep hope alive, right? 

I would assume the contract would need to be complete or on the table at least with details to be ironed out.  Two #1's likely in the 20's range, yeah, probably worth it.  Doesn't look like there will be any comp picks on the table to help move around in the draft, possibly get into the mid rounds a couple of times more but  I still think it's worth it.  Constantly expanding cap.  

I didn't know Mack was also a great locker room presence.  Another consideration that bumps his value IMO.

If it's going to happen, my guess is the trade deal itself is done but still contingent on the contract being hammered out.  

Last edited by Henry
Last edited by michiganjoe
michiganjoe posted:

Price reportedly was two firsts and a player. 

Which means Gutey dropped the ball on this one..they weren't willing to give up two LOW #1's and say Nick Perry?? Not sure what Gutey was thinking here...I think in this instance too much Ted rubbed off on him. Bet #12 isn't happy either...days after signing his deal and mentioning putting his faith in the organization to make the right moves to keep the winning culture they are accustomed to...aaaand they just punt on Kalil Mack. Not a good look Gutey.

GreenNgoldBlood posted 

Which means Gutey dropped the ball on this one..they weren't willing to give up two LOW #1's and say Nick Perry?? Not sure what Gutey was thinking here...I think in this instance too much Ted rubbed off on him. 

The Packers would be giving the Raiders likely a very low round first (28-32, especially WITH Mack on this team) and from the Saints, a 24-30th pick. That low, you could interchange the same talent high in the 2nd round with what the Raiders would have gotten from GB with those 2 "firsts". 

Contrast that with the Bears. Even with Mack, maybe they improve to 6-10 or 7-9 in 2018. That's a huge difference in talent where the Raiders would pick in 2019 and maybe even 2020.

The Bears offer was simply better based on the Bears suckage the last 3-4 seasons. I would do the same thing if I'm Gruden. Roll the dice on the team who's FAR more likely to give you 2 better 1st rounders. 

GreenNgoldBlood posted:
michiganjoe posted:

Which means Gutey dropped the ball on this one..they weren't willing to give up two LOW #1's and say Nick Perry?? Not sure what Gutey was thinking here...I think in this instance too much Ted rubbed off on him. Bet #12 isn't happy either...days after signing his deal and mentioning putting his faith in the organization to make the right moves to keep the winning culture they are accustomed to...aaaand they just punt on Kalil Mack. Not a good look Gutey.

well, first, if mack were to break/tear something, basically gute would be roasted, i don't know, i just don't know that's how we work as an org, not just gute...i also read alot about the pass rushers next draft, so that's a good thing in my mind.

GreenNgoldBlood posted:
michiganjoe posted:

I am shocked you of all people were the first one to board the piss and moan train.  

And who says they would've taken Perry with his injury history.

Last edited by Henry
michiganjoe posted:

Think the Bears had much more ammunition. I agree with Ryan Wood- those two low first-rounders never struck me as enough to swing it.

It was enough...read this tweet from Rapaport...

27m27 minutes ago

The price of trading for Khalil Mack was described to me late last night as 2 first-round picks and a player. There was only one team willing to do that.

Only ONE team willing to give up 2 #1's..this doesn't imply in ANY way that the Packer's 2 #1's wasn't going to be enough, in fact, it sounds like it would have been, and Gutey wasn't willing to give up two #1's in the low 20's for maybe the best defensive player in the game?? That sounds like Ted.

Music City posted:

That’s not good... the Bears D is already an improving unit that can carry them- Mack is the best defensive player in the game right now IMO. 

A savvy move by the Bears. A bad development for Rodgers and the Packers. 

I thought that opening game vs the Bears was going to be tough even before this. This won't make it easier, although I can only imagine that Mack will be on limited snaps for week 1.

They've now got a young QB with talent, a really good RB, and a great pass rusher.  Their days of being the division doormat are likely over.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.