Skip to main content

Cool back story...Topps had printed it's first edition before the Braves move to Milwaukee was announced....therefore the "B"....half the cards in the set --later editions would have "M' for Milwaukee---they would release groups of  150 or so every couple of months during the summer to keep the kids coming back with their nickels to the drug-store.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51sN7DmEyML._SY445_.jpg

Last edited by Blair Kiel

ooooooo.  dammit!  BK!   I do appreciate you sharing the cards with us....but...it hurts.

My brother was born in 1943 and had so many cards saved and stored in his bedroom closet.   When he moved out of the house after college in 1965, I got his room.   Then we moved about 5 years later and our mom (God Bless her soul) threw out those "darn baseball cards".

My brother and I still talk about those cards to this day.  He had so many cards from the 1950's and early 60's that he was sure would have had some good value.

But at least I can live in fantasyland looking at the cards you present at TimesFour.  Thanks!

SteveLuke posted:
michiganjoe posted:

Speaking of potential bad pick littering up the roster, I'd say it's now or never time for Jason Spriggs.

Agree about Spriggs, but I think his roster spot is much safer than the guy drafted 1 round below him in 2016 Fackrell.

MM saying lots of nice things about Reggie Gilbert, Biegel should be healthy and getting a chance, and Fackrell is not exactly a young 3rd year player.

Got to think Kyler is exactly the type of 3rd round pick BB would send packing.

The thing about BB is that if Fackrell were to get released, chances are BB would have him in for a look-see. He always checked out Ted's picks. 

And there is also a chance that Fackrell could contribute to a Belichick defense. If only for a couple of games perhaps even more. Bill knows how to coach 'em up and will usually get something out of the players he brings in. He's one hell of a coach.

SteveLuke posted:

Agree about Spriggs, but I think his roster spot is much safer than the guy drafted 1 round below him in 2016 Fackrell. 

Spot is safer primarily because the team has a two and a four invested in him. Think comfortability and familiarity with players is now less important than in the past and roster changes are more likely to occur.

Last edited by michiganjoe
ilcuqui posted:
SteveLuke posted:
michiganjoe posted:

Speaking of potential bad pick littering up the roster, I'd say it's now or never time for Jason Spriggs.

MM saying lots of nice things about Reggie Gilbert, Biegel should be healthy and getting a chance, and Fackrell is not exactly a young 3rd year player.

Got to think Kyler is exactly the type of 3rd round pick BB would send packing.

The thing about BB is that if Fackrell were to get released, chances are BB would have him in for a look-see. He always checked out Ted's picks. 

And there is also a chance that Fackrell could contribute to a Belichick defense. If only for a couple of games perhaps even more. Bill knows how to coach 'em up and will usually get something out of the players he brings in. He's one hell of a coach.

Early in the week Jim Miller & Pat Erwin (NFL Sirrius radio) were talking about how the Patriots use some pre-draft visits on players they have no shot of drafting. Erwin said that it was because they are already getting info on, & "selling themselves" to players they like who may become FAs down the road. 

Jason Witten thinks Dez Bryant will be a Packer

The most famous catch of Dez Bryant‘s career was a non-catch in Green Bay. Now he may get many more chances to catch passes in Green Bay.

That’s the word from former teammate Jason Witten, who said on Adam Schefter’s podcast that he’s expecting Bryant to end up with the Packers.

“I think he’s going to end up going to the Green Bay Packers,” Witten said, via the Star-Telegram. “I think that’s a great spot for him. Aaron Rodgers, he throws that back-shoulder throw so well, and Dez [can have] great chemistry with a good quarterback that can put the ball wherever he wants.”

The Packers have already made two big changes to their passing game, with the departure of Jordy Nelson and the arrival of Jimmy Graham, and Witten thinks Bryant could be a huge plus.

“I still think Dez can still high-point the football as good as any other wide receiver in the National Football League,” Witten said. “You partner him up with Jimmy Graham and Aaron Rodgers, and I think that offense can put up a lot of points. . . . I think it’s a win-win for the Packers.”

Bryant has not drawn much interest since the Cowboys cut him. Perhaps the Packers are the team to give his career a second act.

SanDiegoPackFan posted:

ooooooo.  dammit!  BK!   I do appreciate you sharing the cards with us....but...it hurts.

My brother was born in 1943 and had so many cards saved and stored in his bedroom closet.   When he moved out of the house after college in 1965, I got his room.   Then we moved about 5 years later and our mom (God Bless her soul) threw out those "darn baseball cards".

My brother and I still talk about those cards to this day.  He had so many cards from the 1950's and early 60's that he was sure would have had some good value.

But at least I can live in fantasyland looking at the cards you present at TimesFour.  Thanks!

I didnt have cards from the 50's and 60's but I had them for all of the 70's.  And yep when I moved out my Mom got rid of "that old box of cards you don't need anymore".  

As for Dez Bryant I am ok with Dez the talent but not so sure about his head.  Maybe he can change being in a place that is more about football than glamour but I have some doubts.

bvan posted:

Jason Witten thinks Dez Bryant will be a Packer

The most famous catch of Dez Bryant‘s career was a non-catch in Green Bay. Now he may get many more chances to catch passes in Green Bay.

That’s the word from former teammate Jason Witten, who said on Adam Schefter’s podcast that he’s expecting Bryant to end up with the Packers.

“I think he’s going to end up going to the Green Bay Packers,” Witten said, via the Star-Telegram. “I think that’s a great spot for him. Aaron Rodgers, he throws that back-shoulder throw so well, and Dez [can have] great chemistry with a good quarterback that can put the ball wherever he wants.”

The Packers have already made two big changes to their passing game, with the departure of Jordy Nelson and the arrival of Jimmy Graham, and Witten thinks Bryant could be a huge plus.

“I still think Dez can still high-point the football as good as any other wide receiver in the National Football League,” Witten said. “You partner him up with Jimmy Graham and Aaron Rodgers, and I think that offense can put up a lot of points. . . . I think it’s a win-win for the Packers.”

Bryant has not drawn much interest since the Cowboys cut him. Perhaps the Packers are the team to give his career a second act.

Depends on the progression of our veteran depth and the rookies. They have 3 good receivers in Adams, Cobb, and Graham and I think Allison isn't far behind. Davis and Clark need to take a big step forward and there's a possibility they get something out of at least 1 of the 3 rookies (likely Moore IMO). So unless Allison tanks or is hurt and there's no improvement from Davis/Clark, I could see them considering Bryant if he's less expensive. A motivated Bryant who keeps his **** together would be a great addition, how often do you actually see that guy though is the question. 

You can kick the tires, but do you want to sign someone as a rental when, according to everyone, we have some young guys who a) should step up this year, and b) have potential? I don't know that I want to give away a younger guy's reps to work with a player like Dez who can be a distraction, who would want bigger money than a young guy gets, who would have to be retrained in our offense, etc. I would not want to lose a Clark or Yancey or ESB, etc., who might need a year to develop or who we could sign to the PS, just for a not-prime-anymore Dez. 

Second on the injuries.  Seems every year we think a position is staaaaacked, it's decimated by injuries.  

You also have the issue of throwing away draft picks.  There is already a high chance 1 of the 3 rook WR's will not make the cut.  Add in a vet that makes the cut and you could lose 2.  That can be OK when you had the luxury of drafting 3 but not so much if that vet's shelf life is so short that you're going to have to replace him in a year or two.  

grignon posted:

Bryant hasn't performed at the level of a #1 for 3 seasons now. He's not a burner. His routes are imprecise. His catch rate hovers around 50%. Why would the Packers pay the vets minimum for a guy who's a #3/4 at best? Guys like that are already on the roster.

The vet minimum for Dez Bryant would be slightly over $900K, you wouldn't pay Dez Bryant $900K to be your #4 for 1 year? I would. That's an easy cap hit to take even if he goes psycho and you cut him. I doubt he would come for vet minimum, but he still has something to offer as a possession receiver. Dak Prescott is an average passer, Dez was a more productive receiver with a more productive passer in Romo. 

michiganjoe posted:

No problem at all kicking the tires on him if they can craft a contract that would sufficiently protect the franchise.

No thanks.  Watching the clips of his tirades and arguments on the sidelines in Dallas is enough for me to hope the Packers avoid him.  Would be one thing if he was in his prime but it's not worth injecting a locker room cancer with declining skills into the organization, especially after they just got rid of another in Randall.  I would think think there would be a lot of player push back if they added someone with the character of Bryant after cutting a favored son like Nelson. 

Grave Digger posted:
grignon posted:

Bryant hasn't performed at the level of a #1 for 3 seasons now. He's not a burner. His routes are imprecise. His catch rate hovers around 50%. Why would the Packers pay the vets minimum for a guy who's a #3/4 at best? Guys like that are already on the roster.

The vet minimum for Dez Bryant would be slightly over $900K, you wouldn't pay Dez Bryant $900K to be your #4 for 1 year? I would. That's an easy cap hit to take even if he goes psycho and you cut him. I doubt he would come for vet minimum, but he still has something to offer as a possession receiver. Dak Prescott is an average passer, Dez was a more productive receiver with a more productive passer in Romo. 

You always have great insights, but I think this is a case where the negatives far outweigh the positives, regardless of discount.  Dez would never settle for being number 3 or four, his ego would not allow it.  Just a bad situation waiting to happen. 

I don't think Dez would be a 3 or a 4.  I think he'd line up opposite Adams, with Cobb in the slot (where he's always belonged, IMO).  With Montgomery coming out of the backfield and Graham's ability to make catches anywhere on the field, I think that would be damn near unstoppable.

I say sign him to a 1-year deal full of incentives and let him play for his next contract.  That would give this year's young guns time to develop, too..

Last edited by Strick
bvan posted:

May fun!
More next week, it's my 74th.

I assume you meant 74th birthday.  If so, HAPPY BIRTHDAY.  And not 74th catch in your fantasy league, or 74th victory in your fantasy league, or 74th Krolls hamburger, or .......... 

I think we will be ok at WR if GB adopts the Jennings/Jones model of preparing a rookie WR for the season.  Their rookie stats are at least double what Nelson/Cobb's were in their rookie years.  Somewhere GB got away from intensive prep for one (or at most 2) guys during TC.  Also, those TC practices were followed up by Rodgers playing with them in preseason games.  GB needs to develop 2 of them.  Then with Adams and Cobb, and if Allison can stay healthy, the Packers "might" be ok. 

Ghost of Lambeau posted:
bvan posted:

May fun!
More next week, it's my 74th.

I assume you meant 74th birthday.  If so, HAPPY BIRTHDAY.  And not 74th catch in your fantasy league, or 74th victory in your fantasy league, or 74th Krolls hamburger, or ..........

Yup, 74th BD although I could go for 74 Krolls.
Best I can do here is Culvers.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.