Skip to main content

NFL guys:

Love has arm talent that’s drawn comparisons to Patrick Mahomes.
He can make any throw.
He has the touch to hit any receiver in any situation, and can lead his covered receivers where they need to be to make big catches.
He has thrown some absolutely beautiful passes with a fluid throwing motion.

Henry: Honestly, I don't even care anymore.

He's on the team, the damage is done, I'm not worried about some lost potential that is going to push the team over the top because that ship has sailed.  I'm waiting for what Gunce does in the draft now.

CONS: Needs to improve his field vision and awareness. Often fails to recognize or completely disregards coverage rotations and it doesn’t have a great enough impact on his decision making. He throws some careless, YOLO balls that need to be reduced. While there is a lot to like about his willingness to be patient and stay in the pocket, his internal clock is often tardy. Can be aggressive vertically to fault. Has to find more consistency with timing and progressions. Has general accuracy with plenty of misfires.

BEST TRAIT - Physical Gifts

WORST TRAIT - Decision Making

Gunt has a penchant to draft numbers, not football players.

Last edited by Henry

From the comments on the clip above: His release has gotten IMPRESSIVELY better, which I love to see. When Rodgers leaves, I’m always afraid that passing will look slower, as it does across the league for me. (Weird fear I know) But it doesn’t look like that’ll be the case with Love

@Boris posted:

He must realize that Rodgers spent 2 whole days taping those shows way back in Feb.   What a putz.

The only lines worth discussing: "Moving on from Rodgers too soon would probably be sacrificing 3-4 more really good seasons. Moving on from Love too soon could mean sacrificing 10-15 good years."

Of course, the key words in those sentences being "would" and "could." A person may be able to argue that it should be "could" in both sentences. 

@Boris posted:

And no matter what, this dude will still be really dumb whomever the fuck he is.

Last edited by Goalline
@Boris posted:

Whatever you think of Jordan Love, this guy clearly didn't do any homework.

The Titans first-round pick (29th overall) played 4 snaps, got arrested for DWI, was traded to Miami for a conditional 7th round pick, and was eventually released by Miami and is out of football.

Jordan Love's got this guy beat if he does nothing else but effectively run the scout team for the next 3 years.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story...-titan-deleted-tweet

Calling any player the "worst" selection after 1 year of COVID/No fans football is at a minimum extremely short-sighted & at a maximum an F'ing IDOT.

The instant gratification crew never ceases to amaze me.

@Boris posted:

Calling any player the "worst" selection after 1 year of COVID/No fans football is at a minimum extremely short-sighted & at a maximum an F'ing IDOT.

The instant gratification crew never ceases to amaze me.

Very true Boris. The Love pick may have been the most baffling and worst decision of all of last years round 1 picks, but we won't really know what we have for a while yet in terms of how good of a player he might be. I still hate the pick. Not because it was Jordan Love but because we had major needs and were just coming off a strong season and Gute pissed away a 4th rounder as well.

@Boris posted:

If Jordan Love flops, Twitter will shut down. 

I'm sure Love will get the Carl Bradford treatment, "He just needs another 6 years to develop!".

No matter how Love turns out, he won't be in the top 10 worst first round picks in Packers history.  Only reason he's going to get this scrutinized is because he's a QB. 

Just for reference, here are the last 10 years of #26 picks.  I count 3 hits, 6 complete busts (including our own Datone Jones), and Love. 

I'd agree with that.  It was definitely a "potential" pick based on traits and will depend heavily on how he takes to coaching.

Just curious, but where do you think Love ranks compared to the top 5 QBs this year?  All are expected to go top 10, at worst top 15.  QBs are flying up draft boards and I don't see it stopping any time soon.  So even if you have Love as the #6 QB in this class, he probably goes top 15. 

Something else to consider about Love - is he any more of less of boom or bust than Lance?  They seem like pretty similar prospects so if Lance is going top 10, is Love at #26 that bad?  Maybe the draft experts can help - what makes Lance such a better prospect than Love? 

Love has the athletic ability that surpasses all of them.  Just like every QB last year.  I have zero doubts about any of his physical traits.  Some of the passes he's made were phenomenal.

For me, it's only one major thing that bothers me, his decision making.  Otherwise, the guy is off the charts.  Maybe it's something he can hone but there's just something about watching his play that makes me think his decision making has a low ceiling.  He will get better I'm sure but I don't think he'll become any better than a slightly above average QB.

Nothing wrong with that, he just has to be in the right system.  Mayo's system isn't a bad fit but Love will needs a top ten defense and a solid run game all the time.  I have zero confidence he can put the team on his back and win.

It would've been "palatable" if they didn't move up for Love.  I know a 4th isn't huge but considering Gunt did squat to fill holes in the defense is what chaps my ass.  You only have so many years of Rodgers left.  Love was not a Rodgers like acquisition.  I'm just not a fan of underwear champions with the term "raw/developmental" in the 1st round QB.

Last edited by Henry
@CUPackFan posted:

Something else to consider about Love - is he any more of less of boom or bust than Lance?  They seem like pretty similar prospects so if Lance is going top 10, is Love at #26 that bad?  Maybe the draft experts can help - what makes Lance such a better prospect than Love?

That's a lot of hair splitting.  I don't care if it's Lance or Love or Larry, you don't move up in the first round to draft a project QB.  Especially when you're trying to win a Super Bowl now.  Unless you aren't that concerned about Super Bowls.

Last edited by Henry
@CUPackFan posted:

No matter how Love turns out, he won't be in the top 10 worst first round picks in Packers history.  Only reason he's going to get this scrutinized is because he's a QB.

Just for reference, here are the last 10 years of #26 picks.  I count 3 hits, 6 complete busts (including our own Datone Jones), and Love.

If he's even an average NFL back-up QB, he'll be better than Jerry Tagge and Rich Campbell who were both drafted much higher in the first round (11th and 6th overall, respectively).

Then you have Tony Mandarich, Ahmad Carroll, Derrek Sherrod, Jamal Reynolds, Datone Jones, Damarious Randall, and Antuan Edwards. That's 9 busts in the last 50 years of Packers first rounders.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.