Skip to main content

Fluff is fluff and must be taken as such.
However, it's fun (to me, anyway) to hear about prospects that are doing well and veteran players that have improved their game.
I haven't had the same enthusiasm this year because everything has been so restricted, and the usual pre-season didn't happen,but have enjoyed most news coming from camp.

@Chongo posted:

Oren Burks is the luckiest MF to ever wear the green and gold.

The reason he slipped in the draft was a knee injury that needed surgery last year. He was probably flagged by some team's medical staff for this reason as a risky pick. Certainly worth a chance as a 5th round pick, but if they didn't have a better backup plan that's an issue. 

@Chongo posted:

Packers haven't had a plan B for LB in quite some time.

I agree. When's the last time they had a difference-maker at ILB (other than arguably when they lined CM3 up there for some snaps when they ran out of guys)? The early days of Nick Barnett or a few flashed from Desmond Bishop? Even the Holmgren teams just sort of got by at ILB. 

but if they didn't have a better backup plan that's an issue. 

Its a tough break, but they have 6 candidates for (1) spot which is pretty decent back- up plan in a league with limited rosters and limited cap space. Couple of draft picks + couple of UDFAs, with mix of vets and rookies competing is about all you can ask for, especially for a non-premium position like ILB2.
Results matter, but the plan isn't suspect imo.

Raven Greene
Oren Burks
Kamal Martin
Ty Summers
Krys Barnes
Curtis Bolton

@YATittle posted:

ESPN reported Martin’s surgery this week was on his left knee, not the right knee that needed surgery after last season. 

I guess that's a little better, but the problem often is that an injury to one part of the body (especially the lower body) causes athletes to compensate by changing the mechanics of another part of the body which leads to injuries. It's probably why RBs have such short shelf lives, in particular. 

GBP1, you may be right.  But don't understand why he'd wait to resign a guy like Veldheer now to help at OT with the injuries there.  How about Clay Matthews to help at ILB ?  And I've been hoping for months he'd sign a vet like Damon Harrison to fortify the DL.  No depth and can't count on Montravius Adams.  All these vets wouldn't cost much I would think.  So why wait?  Because even better options will exist after cutdown to 53 on Sat?  Either way, he needs to add some reinforcements at these positions. 

All these vets wouldn't cost much I would think.  So why wait? 

Because if the vets are on the roster week 1, their entire annual salary is guaranteed. With the possibility of a COVID-induced shutdown, many teams with limited cap space have opted to wait on inking these vets. Damon Harrison is still deciding IF he is going to play per his comments on a recent podcast, but it was reported that GB made him an offer

Any idea where/when you saw that?

I went back and looked it up, its really quite flimsy

https://247sports.com/nfl/gree...y-Packers-149677076/

"Green Bay was reportedly a finalist for wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders, who ended up in New Orleans and admitted to doing so because of the Wisconsin weather.  Per a source, they also made a competitive contract offer to defensive tackle Damon “Snacks” Harrison, who has yet to select a team for 2020 "

The Sanders comment is legit and I heard Harrison on a podcast saying he hadn't decided IF he was gonna play- so that's verified too.
But the part about the offer ?

I had one more thought on the delay in signing vets - the Packers are about to cut loose 27 guys and clear out their lockers, it might make sense to finish that before bringing in new guys given the COVID protocols. 

Either way - Harrison and Tramon would be welcome additions on D and depending on how long Turner is out, Veldheer might be worth a vet minimum given his LT/RT experience.
2020 is a vet's year, I'd like to see a few added

@Chongo posted:

Oren Burks is the luckiest MF to ever wear the green and gold.

Failing up.

I can't figure out the press this guy gets every year in TC.

Last edited by Henry

Packers have not had a stellar LB drafting record the last 10 years. Hopefully Martin, Gary and Summers pan out. I think Burks is effectively done as a pro but will hang on due to need.

Kamal Martin (5th)

Rashan Gary (1st)
Ty Summers (7th)

Oren Burks (3rd)
Kendall Donnerson (7th)

Vince Biegel (4th)

Kyler Fackrell (3rd)

Jake Ryan (4th)

None taken

Nate Palmer (6th)
Sam Barrington (7th)

Terrell Manning (5th)