Skip to main content

@ammo posted:

Trying to figure out how Vanya is short for Ivan.           

"Short" may not be the best word, but they're not really nicknames either.

And if you're not on the equivalent of a "first name" basis with someone, the proper form of address is given name + patronymic, not using titles like Mr. or Dr. and not using family names.

Contrast this with German where they use every title a person has.  I once came across an obituary for a retired member of the Constitutional Court, who was a law professor who had earned two "real" Ph.D.'s as well as multiple honorary doctorates.  The obituary consistently referred to the man as "Prof. Dr. Dr. Dr. h.c.mult. [surname]".  Over and over again. 

(The latter one is Dr. honoris causa multiplex.)

@Fedya posted:

Contrast this with German where they use every title a person has.  I once came across an obituary for a retired member of the Constitutional Court, who was a law professor who had earned two "real" Ph.D.'s as well as multiple honorary doctorates.  The obituary consistently referred to the man as "Prof. Dr. Dr. Dr. h.c.mult. [surname]".  Over and over again. 

(The latter one is Dr. honoris causa multiplex.)

Sounds like  that could be Henry

@Fedya posted:

Among the short forms for Fyodor is Fedya, and when I first got internet access a quarter century ago I found that Fedya was a handle rarely used on any site that didn't have Russians using it, so I picked it for my email handle and nickname on a bunch of sites.

You were Ted on Packfans.

@Fedya posted:

I was a Russian major in college.  I'm a Theodore, and the Russian equivalent is Fyodor (as in Dostoyevsky).  But in Russian, when you're on a first name basis with someone, the general practice is to use short forms, like Vanya for Ivan, Sasha for Aleksandr, Masha for Maria, and so on.

Among the short forms for Fyodor is Fedya, and when I first got internet access a quarter century ago I found that Fedya was a handle rarely used on any site that didn't have Russians using it, so I picked it for my email handle and nickname on a bunch of sites.

And now you know... the rest of the story.

Reported to Homeland Security.

@BrainDed posted:

If only #12 would have patted him on the head and told him how good a boy he is, one of the 30+ teams would have seen his worth.

Yes, that. We all work a lot better when we walk into a new jobs and are treated like pariahs. Why the hell didn’t he appreciate that he was being treated like shit for his own good?

I don’t care how bad Amari was, he didn’t deserve to be treated like he was. No more than Aaron deserved to be treated the way he was by Favre. You don’t lift people by treating them like dirt.

Last edited by Goalline
@Goalline posted:

I don’t care how bad Amari was, he didn’t deserve to be treated like he was. No more than Aaron deserved to be treated the way he was by Favre. You don’t lift people by treating them like dirt.

Charlie Brown GIF by Peanuts

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.