Skip to main content

@Herschel posted:

Van Ness is more Nick Perry than Clay Matthews.

Nick Perry was everything you wanted in a pass rusher.......physically.  Big, strong, fast.  He just had injury and mental issues. I don't think Perry ever really liked football, which could have created those injury issues, ie: not physically and mentally preparing to avoid injuries, not properly rehabbing minor injuries, and not being mentally strong enough to play through minor injuries.  I don't see any mental issues with Van Ness.

Last edited by CUPackFan

Interview with Coach Kirk Ferentz on LVN:

https://www.si.com/nfl/packers...low-pro-bowlers-path

" ...Ferentz made an interesting comparison between Van Ness and one of the best players his powerful program has produced: offensive tackle Tristan Wirfs, an All-Rookie choice as the 13th pick in 2020 and a Pro Bowler in 2021 and 2022.

“He’s a strong, physical kid,” he said of Van Nees. “With Tristan Wirfs, the one thing I told people when Tristan was coming out – Tristan was a third-year player and was 20 and was a pretty good player at that point, too.

“But I just told them, ‘What you really have to do is look down the road two, three years. That’s where I really think you’re going to get a better picture of what he really is.’ Tristan’s gone on and done a great job. I think Lukas, as good as he is right now, I think he's still got a lot to tap into.”

When it came to Lowry, there was no middle ground. Some liked him and appreciate what he did for the Packers, while others cursed him constantly.

I won't argue LVN is a huge upgrade talent-wise, but they have different roles.
Unless Barry is going to play him against double teams on either side of the C...

I will say he'll have a ways to go to reach Lowry's availability and snap counts.
I sure hope he does!

The Lovin' vs. Lowery argument raises an interesting question about where Lovin' ultimately lands position wise.  I heard several analysts say he could put on weight and likely will considering his age.  He's already at 270 which is on the heavier side for an OLB.  Gary is 277lbs and I can't think of a larger OLB.  Interesting thing is Gary actually dropped weight before the draft.

If LVN ends up closer to 285 he may be more of a 3T.  If he retains his RAS traits at that weight, he's a unicorn and he can be disruptive from multiple positions.

@DH13 posted:

If LVN ends up closer to 285 he may be more of a 3T.

It will be really interesting to see what the coaches choose with this guy.
He's still young and growing and has the frame to add mass if they want.

Conversely, Gute drafted a 3-Tech in Devonte Wyatt last year + more big body
DL this year -  so maybe that's a hint.

My guess is that they'll use LVN as 5T ( Lowry snaps) and OLB.

(from 4i to wide 9)

@DH13 posted:

The Lovin' vs. Lowery argument raises an interesting question about where Lovin' ultimately lands position wise.  I heard several analysts say he could put on weight and likely will considering his age.  He's already at 270 which is on the heavier side for an OLB.  Gary is 277lbs and I can't think of a larger OLB.  Interesting thing is Gary actually dropped weight before the draft.

If LVN ends up closer to 285 he may be more of a 3T.  If he retains his RAS traits at that weight, he's a unicorn and he can be disruptive from multiple positions.

Why Bellichick wanted him.

@Satori posted:

It will be really interesting to see what the coaches choose with this guy.
He's still young and growing and has the frame to add mass if they want.

Conversely, Gute drafted a 3-Tech in Devonte Wyatt last year + more big body
DL this year -  so maybe that's a hint.

My guess is that they'll use LVN as 5T ( Lowry snaps) and OLB.

(from 4i to wide 9)

I think you're right and I think they told us his future with the number they assigned him. They had a couple 50's available, I don't think they see him as an edge. 5 is probably the widest he gets, 3 is probably the tightest he gets. I don't think he's an interior brawler, I don't think he sees 3 on short yardage or early downs, but they're going to try and find an athletic mismatch for him on passing downs. Love to see him at 5, Gary at a wide 9 absolutely crushing the edge of a play.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.