Skip to main content

@packerboi posted:

More on the Packers grades from the NFLPA:

"For many years, players have brought up the idea of creating a 'Free Agency Guide,' which would contain information that can help illuminate what that daily experience is like for players and their families from team to team," Tretter wrote.

The packers take good care of their players relatively speaking - so that's a plus when it comes to FAs.

It was obvious that Lazard had seen the report before he did a recent interview - he knows he has it good in GB and that mo' money isn't the only Decider.
We've rarely heard Packer FAs go elsewhere and say the new club is better in these categories, usually it goes the other way.

The most hilarious former-Packer gripe was Jimmy Graham saying how
"the bears were all about winning championships, unlike the Packers"  LOL

@Boris posted:

Shocking that the Packers figured out how to manipulate the cap.

When the salary cap era began, I thought that Wolf & Co. were far ahead of the curve managing it ("Pay as you go"). I would naturally assume the same was passed on to the next generation, and it seemingly was judging by Ball's management. Salary cap problems in Green Bay were unheard of.

Until the last few years, that is. Now, it's became a game of manipulating the cap for accounting purposes with restructures, salary conversions, void years, and other methods, and salary cap restrictions have affected the Packers.
Maybe it's all a smoke-and-mirrors show, but Ball may be adapting well, and is on top of his game more than I give him credit for.

Can you imagine being on his staff? The amount of work it must take to be prepared, in advance, for any scenario, as well as calculating where the best restructure deals are, plus day-to-day duties must be mind-boggling!

https://www.si.com/nfl/packers...t-utah-state-packers

Yost, whose two-year coaching run at Utah State included Love’s rise in 2017 and breakout season in 2018, is a bit busy on Sundays but he did watch Love’s start in 2021 at the Kansas City Chiefs and then his fourth-quarter relief appearance at the Philadelphia Eagles in 2022.

β€œA year ago when he got to play in the Chiefs game, he did not have a great day,” Coach Yost said. β€œAnd the Chiefs are a good team and all that, and I think they were trying protect him a little bit, but then when you got to see him play a little bit this year, he looked like a different guy.

β€œThat’s a credit to him for being able to continue to improve even though he wasn’t playing all the time. I know he gets a lot of reps in practice, especially with Rodgers not being there all the time for the offseason, but he’d be the guy who would take full advantage of that and put himself in the best position to be successful. Not every guy does that.”

from Bill Huber;

Cornerback Eric Stokes, whose big-time rookie season was followed by a sophomore slump and a season-ending ankle injury in that same game at Detroit, is on track to practice at the start of training camp, according to sources.

β€œEric has had zero setbacks and is ahead of schedule,” a source said. β€œHe plans to be in Green Bay for the offseason program to continue his rehab and training. There is no set timetable for him to be back at 100 percent, but he is not expected to miss any portion of camp.”

More from Herr Huber at the combine

Bak Bak Bak

"Releasing Bakhtiari to create additional cap space is not a consideration.
Rather, after not giving up a single sack in 11 starts, he’ll be a building block of what the Packers hope will be a healthy and powerful offensive line.

β€œCertainly, when he’s in there, we’re a top-notch unit and having him out there was really important for us,” Gutekunst said. β€œHim getting into his rhythm and flow of how to get through the week and really to be able to perform at his highest level on Sundays was really important for us.

When he’s playing like that, it just is kind of a trickle-down effect and I think the whole unit as a whole played really, really well the second half of the season.”

from the Combine:

β€œMy nipples are hard…for Allen Lazard.”

My source goes on to explain that that was a phrase he heard about Lazard, one of the top free agent wide receivers this year in a fairly thin class. I heard both the Ravens and Chiefs really like Lazard and my sense is that Lazard returning to Green Bay is not out of the question, but an unlikely outcome.

I just dont get the love affair with Lazard.  I think he's a solid #3 but that's it.  He had the red carpet rolled out for him in 2021 to be the #2 target and he finished with 40 catches for 513 yards. This year he had the carpet rolled out to be the #1 target in this offense.  He finished with 60 catches for 788 yards.  I just don't know what scenario makes him a 1,000 yard WR.  Like what held him back in 2021 and 2022?  He won't ever be in a situation with a QB like Rodgers and nearly zero competition for targets.  What has to happen in 2023 for him to get there?

@CUPackFan posted:

I just dont get the love affair with Lazard.  I think he's a solid #3 but that's it.

He's considered a low 2, high 3, not sure what the problem is
That's a valuable piece and the going rate is about $10-13 M per season for that player. In the link below, OverTheCap has his 2022 valuation at $ 10.8M

https://overthecap.com/player/allen-lazard/7167

The Shanahan/McVay offenses are the rage and they all rely on a big slot who can get his hands dirty in the run game. Cooper Kupp fits the mold, Lazard too - but he's obviously a tier below. Move the chains, reliable on 3rd down

Your comment is mostly box score scouting - without even mentioning the true value Lazard brings to a run -focused offense. That makes it tough on the reader to give your post any credos or gebins.

Sounds like 2 - 3 teams will be in on him in FA + the Packers will take a swing.

@Satori posted:

That's a valuable piece and the going rate is about $10-13 M per season for that player. In the link below, OverTheCap has his 2022 valuation at $ 10.8M

https://overthecap.com/player/allen-lazard/7167

The Shanahan/McVay offenses are the rage and they all rely on a big slot who can get his hands dirty in the run game. Cooper Kupp fits the mold, Lazard too - but he's obviously a tier below. Move the chains, reliable on 3rd down

Your comment is mostly box score scouting - without even mentioning the true value Lazard brings to a run -focused offense. That makes it tough on the reader to give your post any credos or gebins.

Sounds like 2 - 3 teams will be in on him in FA + the Packers will take a swing.

Yes, he provides more value lining up from the slot, where essentially he becomes a TE, this is what his skill set has always been. IMHO we've played him too often on the outside and tried to throw to him outside the hash, where his lack of speed doesn't dictate safety help.

@Satori posted:

I won't argue that he's a low 2/ high 3, but a $10m cap hit for a WR is actually the #32 ranked cap hit for a WR in 2023.  So $10-11m is not appropriate for a low 2 / high 3.  That would be around 55ish ranked WR - which has a cap hit of around $4m.  That's what I think Lazard should get. 

He may get $10m like Spotrac says.  But so did MVS and we all saw that he was not performing like a $10m WR this year.   Packers aren't in a position to overpay for guys who aren't and likely never will be difference makers. 

Das Gute talks vet WR

"All three guys factor significantly into the Packers' future plans at receiver, though Gutekunst told reporters he'd still like to have a veteran in that room next season. At the moment, Watson's 14 career NFL games are the most of any receiver on the offseason roster.

"All those guys are going into their second year. I'd love to have a veteran presence," Gutekunst said. "Just another guy in the room that those guys can bounce things off of and bring to the table."

https://overthecap.com/free-agency

You can sort it by WRs. Kumerow available

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.