Skip to main content

Draft has several EDGE options, but what do folks think of Bud Dupree as a mid-priced FA ? He didn't live up to his draft status, but seems to have found a role as a pass rusher over the years. OTC says his valuation is $6M per year

https://overthecap.com/player/bud-dupree/3870

6'4 and 269, looking for work

@Boris posted:

More on rule changes.....

Packers won't be getting away with this any more.

https://www.prideofdetroit.com...d-detroit-lions-2023

Lions were so screwed against the Packers I wish the Packers had won that game. Then you can cry harder

They want 4 rules changes???? Whiners. I can't wait to see them victimized by one of their own rules changes.

One change I'd like to see regarding reviews is when a team has to challenge where the refs spot the ball, it doesn't count against their available challenges if the spot was incorrect.
If replay shows it was spotted correctly, then the team that challenged the spot loses one of their available challenges and timeout.

As an aside, this is where available technology should be applied to games. Surely there is a way this can be accomplished with minimal ease.

I don’t like that all scoring plays are reviewed, but plays where TV appears to show a score (in real time) but the refs state otherwise, a team needs to use a challenge. I think HCs should be able to ask the ref to review, and if the ref thinks it’s a legitimate ask, they review without a charged TO.

I guess the new kickoff will take some getting used to. It reminds of little league baseball where the runner on first can't try to steal until the catcher has the ball in his glove. SMH.

I am also trying to figure out how the defense is supposed to tackle. Can't him them high around the neck or head,  cant hit them low around the knees,  now you can't hit them in the middle with your hip.  Anything between here and there. Let Navin tell everyone where you can hit

Last edited by Floridarob
@ammo posted:

This new kick-off is further pussification of the NFLFU.

Thanks @mrtundra - Here's some more on a tweet

It's going to be NFC North....That's how they get the Packers who aren't eligible

@H5 posted:

We'll know how good that Rasul trade really is or isn't after 2+ years of data on that 3rd rd player.

Perhaps. Its also possible that pick is used to move up or back in the draft
I look at it as (2) separate components.

1) Did you get good value for the trade ?
2) Did you draft a valuable player with that pick ?

I think Gute gets an A- for part 1
Two other starting CBs  - Carlton Davis and LaJarius Sneed also went for 3rds, but the Sneed deal is a 2025 pick, so relatively speaking, Gute got good value

For part 2, its still TBD as you noted above and that Packers 3rd is right in front of the one the Bucs got from Detroit -  so we'll have an interesting data point.

This kickoff looks really dumb. It will give open-field runners a better shot at breaking one, but it also looks like most decent KRs will make it to the 35 or so. Games will start looking like pinball matches. I'd rather they institute rules to protect players' legs on punts and KOs. Watching Toure last year almost lose a knee, the GB RB who on a KO had his knee shredded and never really came back, and so on. Coming in at full speed on KOs and punts and submarining to hit a guy in the knees should be outlawed. Target thighs to chest.

I bet that receiving teams instead of using some linemen and LBs to block, they'll start using more CBs, TEs and H-backs to block in the open field. Kicking teams will go to more CBs, S, LBs to get more maneuverability and good open-field tackling guys. Linemen and big LBs will be on the sideline as this KO places more emphasis on speed, agility, and cutting vs blocking. Just getting in a guy's way will be enough.

Just do away with kickoff and give the receiving team the ball at the 25.

I have a fun idea for punts. Each team gets 250 yards of punts. No more punter on the roster. No actual punt or return - just move the ball to new position. The punting team picks how many yards they want to give up and move the ball that far downfield. You can’t put the other team inside the ten. If a team runs out of punt yards they have to go for it on fourth down.

Example: Team A punts on their first possession from their 40 and decides to use 50 yards, putting the opponent at the 10.

Next Series they punt from their 25 but since they aren’t moving the ball well, they decide to only use 30 yards.

Lots of great strategy debates.

i know this is crazy but is it that much odder than the new kickoff rule.

Last edited by justanotherpackerfan

Bottom Line, lease doesn't expire for 9 years. That mayor probably won't even be in office then. Just ridiculous to "cut off negotiations" the Packers bring millions & millions of dollars into that community every year....and the people voting for the Mayor know it.

Just do away with kickoff and give the receiving team the ball at the 25.

I have a fun idea for punts. Each team gets 250 yards of punts. No more punter on the roster. No actual punt or return - just move the ball to new position. The punting team picks how many yards they want to give up and move the ball that far downfield. You can’t put the other team inside the ten. If a team runs out of punt yards they have to go for it on fourth down.

Example: Team A punts on their first possession from their 40 and decides to use 50 yards, putting the opponent at the 10.

Next Series they punt from their 25 but since they aren’t moving the ball well, they decide to only use 30 yards.

Lots of great strategy debates.

i know this is crazy but is it that much odder than the new kickoff rule.

It’s called football

@Floridarob posted:

On side kicks look to be a lot easier....Kicker can do it all himself.

If I recall correctly, you have to declare you are going to do it now to allow the other team to setup.    I think they went back to allowing you to overload a side as well in an attempt to increase recoveries.

MacCafee did a segment on it a couple weeks ago and broke everything down.  The kicking team is punished for touchbacks and kicks that fall short of a certain yard line.    They are attempting to increase return rate and add excitement. 

Last edited by BrainDed
@Boris posted:

Bottom Line, lease doesn't expire for 9 years. That mayor probably won't even be in office then. Just ridiculous to "cut off negotiations" the Packers bring millions & millions of dollars into that community every year....and the people voting for the Mayor know it.

Sounds more like the Mayor is as sick of Murphy as most Packer fans are.  He only wants to negotiate with the new prez whoever it may be.   

@Fandame posted:

This kickoff looks really dumb. It will give open-field runners a better shot at breaking one, but it also looks like most decent KRs will make it to the 35 or so. Games will start looking like pinball matches. I'd rather they institute rules to protect players' legs on punts and KOs. Watching Toure last year almost lose a knee, the GB RB who on a KO had his knee shredded and never really came back, and so on. Coming in at full speed on KOs and punts and submarining to hit a guy in the knees should be outlawed. Target thighs to chest.

I bet that receiving teams instead of using some linemen and LBs to block, they'll start using more CBs, TEs and H-backs to block in the open field. Kicking teams will go to more CBs, S, LBs to get more maneuverability and good open-field tackling guys. Linemen and big LBs will be on the sideline as this KO places more emphasis on speed, agility, and cutting vs blocking. Just getting in a guy's way will be enough.

Looks like a punt return. I think this brings and end to the traditional kick returner.

@BrainDed posted:

They are attempting to increase return rate and add excitement.

I assumed this is why the signed Nixon to the contract they did, anticipating the new ko rules would make him a more important asset.

Then they voted against the rules, so what do I know I know Iowacheese is a moran

Last edited by "We"-Ka-Bong

Besides being old, set in my ways, and resistant to change, I much prefer traditional football, and despise most changes to the rules of the game.
But, this crap is on another level. Legislating changes to formations and play execution is a territory that shouldn't be invaded. NFLFU. Bastiges!
And I have a suspicion this is yet another rule for "player safety" while other issues are ignored that contradict that very thing (turf, TNF, 17 currently, likely soon 18 game seasons, roster sizes...).

I suppose fans of the day bitched and moaned when the "wedge play" became illegal also.

That being said, I don't know how this doesn't play to the strengths of Nixon's skills as a returner. I'm sure it appeals to his ego.
STs will have LOTS of work to do in OTAs and TC. Bisaccia better have the coaches ready!

Last edited by Timmy!

I'd be poaching the best Special Teams coaches from the league that has been doing this KO.    At least be hiring them as consultants.   

It's an entirely new play.   The  most prepared and creative coaches are going to thrive in the beginning until the others catch on.

Legislating changes to formations and play execution is a territory that shouldn't be invaded

You do understand there was a time when the forward pass was illegal, right?  Granted, that was before 1906, but still....

@BrainDed posted:

I'd be poaching the best Special Teams coaches from the league that has been doing this KO.    At least be hiring them as consultants.   

It's an entirely new play.   The  most prepared and creative coaches are going to thrive in the beginning until the others catch on.

The other thing is how it affects roster decisions for special teams. You are allowed to have two returners back. Do you prioritize having two returners?

What types of guys are the best for covering and blocking for returns? Is it any different than the guys you have now?

@Fedya posted:

Legislating changes to formations and play execution is a territory that shouldn't be invaded

You do understand there was a time when the forward pass was illegal, right?  Granted, that was before 1906, but still....

Yes, and I had also thought of when facemasks became mandatory.
I'm still sure, though, that fans bitched about all these changes.
Changing the KO is still sacrilege.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.