Skip to main content

MichiganPacker posted: I'm less concerned about the Vikings getting Cousins than I am about what an 84 million dollar guaranteed deal means for what Rodgers guaranteed money will be. If Cousins is worth 28 million, then is Rodgers worth 40 a year? He won't get that, but he may get 120 million over 4 years with 80 million guaranteed. They'll probably have to go at least 4 years to make the signing bonus work.  

Donโ€™t get so caught up in the numbers.  They could have said it was a 5 year, $140M, $84M guaranteed contract, and it would be exactly the same.

They would either cut him or re-up him after 3 years, and he would be getting $28M per year regardless of how they word it.

I think the key way to look at this is as follows. You have three choices (let's assume that Cousins get 28 million a year and Rodgers 30 million). We already know Keenum got 18 million year.

1. Keenum and 10 million dollars of cap room to spend on other free agents.

2. Cousins and 2 million dollars of cap room.

3. Rodgers.

I think you rank them in this order. #3, then #1, then #2.

They are paying Cousins to be in the Rodgers, Brady, Luck, and Brees class when he's really more of a Flacco or Eli Manning type at best.

Kirk Cousins when to high school about 30 miles from where I live and I saw him play at MSU quite a bit and I've seen him in person at a few functions. He's a class individual and a better than average NFL QB. I'm glad he got Daniel Snyder and Zygi Wolf to pay him 118 million of guaranteed money to play QB  over a 5 year span.  Is he worth 10 million more a year than Keenum? I don't think so. For as much as Dan Snyder screwed the pooch on the Cousins situation up until this point, I'd rather have Alex Smith at 17 million a year than Cousins at 28 million.

Tdog posted:

and with a fully guaranteed $84mil contract exactly what is my motivation for doing anything other than just showing up?  I'm collecting whether we win or lose, start or benched, hurt or not.  we'll see if character exists in multi-millionaire NFL lottery contracts, I guess.   good luck with that.

From being aware of Cousins' history since high school (he went to HS less than 30 miles from where I live), I don't think you have to worry about his character. He's a high quality individual. It's not like the Vikings just handed over all that guaranteed money to a Manziel, or even a Cam Newton, type.

The biggest issue is that he's a very good, but not outstanding, NFL QB.

YATittle posted:

I agree Cousins is a decent guy who lives far below his means because he knows it won't last forever.

He's building a really nice, but not audacious, house on the beach in Saugatuck.

http://www.mlive.com/business/...ins_is_building.html

He's spent the offseasons until now living in his parent's basement and driving a hand-me-down van.

Cousins' new home on Lake Michigan was first disclosed in a GQ.com article which noted he was spending this past summer's off-season in the basement of his parent's home in Holland.

The notoriously frugal Cousins, who still drives a hand-me-down conversion van he got from his grandparents, can afford his own place on the big lake this year.

michiganjoe posted:

Glad the Packers avoided him.  He's been injury prone and only marginally productive, not worth anywhere near $16M.

INTERESTED TEAMS:
ARI, MIN, NYJ
Cousins likely will sign a three-year contract offer from the Vikings that includes roughly $86 million guaranteed, per NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport. He likely will sign the deal by Thursday. Cousins, the star of this year's free-agent market, has improved every year in the league. His numbers over 48 games since taking over for Robert Griffin III rival those of Aaron Rodgers during that time span.

MichiganPacker posted:

I'm glad he got Daniel Snyder and Zygi Wolf to pay him 118 million of guaranteed money to play QB  over a 5 year span.  Is he worth 10 million more a year than Keenum? I don't think so.

This. Cousins hasn't gotten the long term guarantee that some QBs get, but he's been paid annually like a top 5 QB for several years and will continue to. He's definitely not a top 5 QB...a good QB, maybe even one MIN can win with, but he's not a top 5 guy. I think he's on par with a healthy Sam Bradford. 

Eye Heart Green & Gold posted:

INTERESTED TEAMS:
ARI, MIN, NYJ
Cousins likely will sign a three-year contract offer from the Vikings that includes roughly $86 million guaranteed, per NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport. He likely will sign the deal by Thursday. Cousins, the star of this year's free-agent market, has improved every year in the league. His numbers over 48 games since taking over for Robert Griffin III rival those of Aaron Rodgers during that time span.

Actually, he has been much better than Rodgers. You are paying him more than Rodgers is getting paid. Best QB in the NFL. 

Last edited by Goalline
Goalline posted:
Eye Heart Green & Gold posted:

INTERESTED TEAMS:
ARI, MIN, NYJ

Actually, he has been much better than Rodgers. You are paying him more than Rodgers is getting paid. Best QB in the NFL. 

Last 4 years.

Rodgers, 55 games, 125 TDs and 26 interceptions (record of 36-19)

Cousins, 53 games, 91 TDs and 45 interceptions (record of 25-23-1)

โ€œHis numbers over 48 games.......โ€

See, so you take Cousins last 48 starts and Rodgers last 48 starts, and you compare them.  They didnโ€™t say SEASONS, they said GAMES.  Not sure why this is so difficult for some of you.

But, being the nice guy that I am, I did the work for you......

Cousins: 13,176 yds, 81 TDs, 36 INTs, 97.6

Rodgers: 12,631 yds, 107 TDs, 25 INTs, 100

Now, you can talk โ€œRodgers moneyโ€ if you assume Rodgers is going to be playing for $28M this year.  He wonโ€™t be.  Heโ€™s being paid Garoppolo money.......

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.