Skip to main content

michiganjoe posted:

Packers’ GM Brian Gutekunst in a statement on a Jordy Nelson:

β€œWe cannot thank Jordy enough for all that he has given the Green Bay Packers and our community for the past 10 years,” Gutekunst said. β€œHe has been an exemplary professional and teammate and greatly contributed to our success. Jordy will always be a member of the Packers family and we look forward to his eventual induction into the Packers Hall of Fame. We wish Jordy, his wife Emily, and the rest of their family all the best.”

Brian Gutekunst's statement on Free Agency.

"I understand free agency has not exactly been a proud topic for our fans over the recent years. But to fix this--and without consultation of Aaron Rodgers--I have immediately dick slapped Alex Van Pelt and cut Aaron's favorite receiver. I look forward to my continued ear ****ing of Rodgers with offensive cuts and releases in the hopes that I can trade up for a backup quarterback and use the extra cap space to convince Aaron that he should be the face of the franchise for the next 7 years. Bah-leave-me, Aaron will always be a Packer. His deal is gonna be so huge you won't even know how to talk about how huge it is. Bah-leave-me.

There will be no statement regarding the Packers defense this year."

Last edited by NumberThree
packerboi posted:

Wes Hodkiewicz
@WesHod
This is a crazy stat on Jordy Nelson's 10 seasons with #Packers:

Posted 1,250-plus receiving yards and 13-plus TD catches in the same season 3 times in his career (2011, 2014, 2016), the 4th most in NFL history behind Hall of Famers Jerry Rice, Randy Moss and Terrell Owens

OMGOSH.......I’m sick over this......

Building a roster is like making an ice cream sundae.  The ice cream is the draft and the toppings are FA.  You can put all the fancy toppings on, but if your ice-cream is made out of dog $hit, it's not going to taste good.  Very few teams, if any, have ever won the Super Bowl when their best player was acquired through FA rather than the draft.  It's science, look it up!

DocBenni posted:

Building a roster is like making an ice cream sundae.  The ice cream is the draft and the toppings are FA.  You can put all the fancy toppings on, but if your ice-cream is made out of dog $hit, it's not going to taste good.  Very few teams, if any, have ever won the Super Bowl when their best player was acquired through FA rather than the draft.  It's science, look it up!

Free agents:

Don Beebe.

Gilbert Brown.

Santana Dotson.

Desmond Howard.

Ryan Pickett.

Reggie White.

Frank Winters.

Charles Woodson.

Drafted:

Tony Manwhich.

Brett Hundley.

All cornerbacks and safeties in the last 5 seasons.

Okay, I'm done, this is depressing. Yea, we had some good picks in 2005-2009, but god damn, 2011-2017 drafting v. free agency is just a **** show.

DH13 posted:
MichiganPacker posted:
DH13 posted:

Still lots of value left in 87.  He could head west.

I loved Jordy, but there isn't that much value left. His value at this point is on back shoulder throws with Rodgers. At the end of last year, he was being covered 1x1 by below average CBs and getting no separation in man coverage. You could argue that playing with Hundley really hurt him, but even on the passes he caught he couldn't make anyone miss anymore. There were a lot of 2-5 yard catches that stayed as 2-5 yard catches. Jordy closer to his prime would break a lot of tackles. He turned into RichRod after the catch this year.

It would hurt to have him go to the Vikings, but I doubt that happens either. 33 year old with backup WR talent who can't play special teams are not of much value.

Unfortunately, time always wins.

Disagree.  Plenty productive with AR last year, open or not.  With a legit outside WR (FA or draft), he becomes even more effective in the slot.

Anyone questioning Jordy's work ethic needs their heads examined.  Unless it's plausible you can tear your ACL and fall off the tractor the next season to be comeback player of the year at 31yrs old.

I never questioned his work ethic (although someone else did).

Jordy is probably one of my five favorite Packers ever and this move makes me feel old (or mortal to be melodramatic).

Here are his catches in the last 9 games he played as a Packer (listed as yards gained).

Saints: 8, 7, 8, 12

Bears: 14, 4, 2

Ravens: 17, 7

Steelers: 2, 7, 2

Bucs: 5, 3, 3, 6, 0

Browns: 12, 9, 4, 8

Panthers: 5, 17, 6

Vikings: 2, 4, 5

That's 28 catches for 192 yards. 6.8 yards per catch. Hundley sucked, but even when Jordy caught the ball he couldn't make anything happen after the catch. In most of those games, Jordy was playing over 90% of the snaps and he had five catches for over 10 yards in 8 games.

I just got home and this is what I heard on the radio:

1) The Packers are a mess.  They are in "cap hell".  How can they afford to extend Rodgers?

2) Signed Graham but let there top receiver (Nelson) go to do it.  Rodgers is probably mad and may look for a way out.  

3) The Packer roster is "terrible".

4) McCarthy should have been fired - he probably doesn't last the year.  

There was some other comment but it doesn't come to mind right now.  No mention that GB was 19.4 mill under the cap before the Graham signing.  That cap number included ARs present 20 mill cap number.  No Mention about all the other coaching changes.  No mention about Jordy's knee injury and maybe he had lost something.  Or the 10 mill gets GB further under the cap.  It was one-sided and showed how uninformed they were.  IMO.  

PackerPatrick posted:

From what I read Nelson is not too happy about this. http://profootballtalk.nbcspor...ep-playing/#comments For Jordy its the "one year too early, rather than one year too late" mantra. I think that Graham could be in that one year too late category. But we will see.

https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/jordy-nelson/

9th in WR snaps last year. 84th in air yards. 81st in YAC.

It's a business. It sucks, but it's a young man's game except for QBs.

His last contract extension was in 2014 and he ended up getting about 32 million from it. In his last 4 years, he had two outstanding years, one terrible year, and missed a whole year.

Over his career, he played 10 years and received 46 million dollars. He was ridiculously underpaid for 4 of those years (2011, 2013, 2014, and 2016). He was fairly paid for 4 years (2008, 2009, 2010, and 2012) and vastly overpaid relative to his production - through no fault of his own in 2015 certainly- in two years (2015 and 2017).

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/gre...-4999/cash-earnings/

bigdoggyjude posted:
packerboi posted:

New England also wouldn’t surprise me with Jordy. Especially with Danny A. now gone from the Pats. 

In NE you need get wide open to catch a 2yd pass and turn it into 15-20. You do that by shifty speed. Not 87’s MO these days. 

Never really was his MO. He was OK at that. But he was as good as any WR at setting up CBs and running deep posts. Those double moves were some of the prettiest pass patterns I've ever seen a Packer WR execute. Also extraordinarily great on the sideline routes.

I really do hope someone signs him and gives him some more money. Greg Jennings, Marco Rivera, Mike Wahle all got some extra money after they were passed their peak.

packerboi posted:

Michael Rodney
@PackersNotes
I've had a feeling for days that the Packers would sign Trumaine Johnson. Just a feeling - nothing more.

Love Jordy. My favorite Packer ever except for Bart. Hope he retires out of my sheer sentimentality but it's his life.

A comment about where 12 is in all this. Just my opinion.

He deserves to be the highest paid player in the game. 

He also wants another ring or two.

You could sign / retain a lot of quality players if 12 would stay at the $20 million per level in his extension or accept a modest, not record-breaking increase.

I know it is not exactly like Brady taking less salary than he could command giving BB and the Patriots more money to play with every season (Gisele and other TB revenue sources), but come on. You cannot argue that Rodgers needs to make more money than he is already pulling in. He is set for life and he will make millions per year after his career is over just in endorsements and speaking engagements.  If he decides to be a network talking head he would command Peyton Manning-type money.

I know 12 will carp about Jordy and other veteran cuts, but he himself should temper that given his own probable demands.

Last edited by ilcuqui
packerboi posted:

Michael Rodney
@PackersNotes
I've had a feeling for days that the Packers would sign Trumaine Johnson. Just a feeling - nothing more.

The fact his name has been mentioned concerning the Packers and they desperately need a vet CB?  

Goalline’s herpes agree. 

Edit:  **** me.  Pettine has his work cut out for him. 

Last edited by Henry
MichiganPacker posted:
bigdoggyjude posted:
packerboi posted:

New England also wouldn’t surprise me with Jordy. Especially with Danny A. now gone from the Pats. 

In NE you need get wide open to catch a 2yd pass and turn it into 15-20. You do that by shifty speed. Not 87’s MO these days. 

Never really was his MO. He was OK at that. But he was as good as any WR at setting up CBs and running deep posts. Those double moves were some of the prettiest pass patterns I've ever seen a Packer WR execute. Also extraordinarily great on the sideline routes.

I really do hope someone signs him and gives him some more money. Greg Jennings, Marco Rivera, Mike Wahle all got some extra money after they were passed their peak.

Agreed. And NE QB can’t hit that deep post anyway like AR12 can. 

MichiganPacker posted:
packerboi posted:

Huge money.

For a guy who couldn't start a game in the Super Bowl where the opposing QB was lighting up his replacements. One man's trash is another man's treasure.

The 1992 Atlanta Falcons and Ron Wolf say hello.

DocBenni posted:

Cutting Nelson hurts, but its the right move.  Chemistry is one thing, but if you can't get open any more, what good does it do.  

That's why I would have cut Cobb instead.  We've all seen LB's running down the seam stride for stride with him on many occasions.    I think Jordy was still recovering a little bit last year and I was willing to give him some slack.

Who know, maybe we go nuclear and cut Cobb too. 

Jordy with AR last  year:

Game 1 - 7 for 79, long of 32, 1 TD

Game 2 - missed

Game 3 - 6 for 52, long of 23, 2 TD

Game 4 - 4 for 75, long of 58, 2 TD

Game 5 - 2 for 24, long of 14, 1 TD

Game 6 - 6 for 60, long of 26, 0 TD (AR injured, was 2 of 4 at the time)

Hundley killed Nelson's career.  Here's hoping that Jordy resigns w/ GB at a reasonable rate.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.