Skip to main content

Sucks about Ryan but at the same time, I don't know if Pettine really envisioned a slow moving Ryan to play 70-75 snaps a game either. I think the primary reason Burks was drafted so high is because he has excellent side-to-sideline speed and is just a more fluid, athletic ILB. 

Martinez and an athletic Burks is likely the ideal starting duo Pettine wants. Burks, Kevin King, Alexander, Josh Jones. All these guys we're taken with the idea that this defense would get much faster. 

I think Ryan was envisioned as a rotational guy. But clearly, GB needs to get faster on that side of the ball, and that's Burks. 

Pettine may be putting a lot of emphasis on the Dline as well.  You still need a guy like Ryan but if Wilkerson and Daniels are truly disruptive and soaking up blockers those smaller guys might get to the ball easier.  

I still think they need to look for true run stopper though.  Apparently the UDFA from Texas is the guy?  Obviously big enough.  

Let's get Martin "look how tough I am I'm playing on a shredded knee and now my draft stock plummeted" Martini in there.  He'll tough it out while getting trucked on his tough knee.  

Last edited by Henry

True.  Not sure the vet option is worth it considering who is out there.  Let's see what Pettine does.  Obviously, they aren't going to make a knee-jerk call on getting a player, rather see if they have anyone on the roster.   I think Pettine just changes the scheme to more 4-3 instead of trying to cram a piece that doesn't fit into 3-4 on run downs.  

More Montravius Adams?

Last edited by Henry

Mike Pettine on what the Packers have at ILB after Jake Ryan's season-ending knee injury: "Certainly, we have an experienced guy and a guy who was very productive last year in Blake [Martinez]. The rookie [Oren Burks] has flashed some things, but the transition from the college game takes some time. Ahmad Thomas has flashed some coverage ability, and then we have some younger guys. We'll see how it plays it. It's a big loss with Jake." Pettine mentioned that the staff is scheduled to meet and discuss potential roster needs and there's been "open lines of communication with the personnel department."

Rob Demovsky, ESPN Staff Writer
RatPack posted:

Why is the Vikings Suck thread still on this forum?  

The thread can stay, but the admins haven't bothered to ban/delete the accounts of the non-resident bandwagon franchise people who keep the thread going by duping a lot of stupid people here with obvious trolling that , for reasons completely foreign to me, are fervently responded to.

At this point the people responding to the obvious troll bait are as much at fault at the admins for not doing anything about it. In fact, the people responding to the trolls look more stupid than the trolls themselves.

I check once a month to see if it's still going on, if it is, I leave for a month or so. See ya next month.

Pakrz posted:

The next time Jake Ryan makes a play will be his first. He is one of the most replaceable guys on defense. 

100% agree. 

I feel bad for Jake Ryan getting injured and all, but he is just the latest in a long line of forgettable Packer middle linebackers.

From later career AJ Hawk to Sam Barrington, DJ Smith, Nate Palmer, Jamari Lattimore, Joe Thomas and Brad Jones (did I forget anyone), this has really been problematic position for years.

Blake Martinez is the best middle backer since Desmond Bishop was healthy.

Who knows, maybe Burks is the real deal and they will become a force for good in the middle.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.