Skip to main content

If this stat doesn’t scream that the Shannahan system is QB friendly, I’m not sure what does! Just saw Zac Taylor and Sean McVay talking about how insane MLF’s level of preparation is. Also saw one media outlet rank MLF as the top play caller in the NFL. What does it all add up to? Well all of that combined with having the #1 WR in the league, an emerging TE threat in the league, the best LT and LG in the league, and a top 5 RB in the league and it means, to me, that Love is in the best possible situation a young QB could possibly be in if he’s forced into action early.

If this stat doesn’t scream that the Shannahan system is QB friendly, I’m not sure what does! Just saw Zac Taylor and Sean McVay talking about how insane MLF’s level of preparation is. Also saw one media outlet rank MLF as the top play caller in the NFL. What does it all add up to? Well all of that combined with having the #1 WR in the league, an emerging TE threat in the league, the best LT and LG in the league, and a top 5 RB in the league and it means, to me, that Love is in the best possible situation a young QB could possibly be in if he’s forced into action early.

God dammit Digger,  quit confusing us with the facts.

nIcK mUlLeNs PrOvEs tHiS OfFeNsE dOeSn'T nEeD a GrEaT qB

Yeah, those 12 TDs to 12 INTs with the team going 3-7 was really impressive last year. He had good yardage against  a garbage Giants teams and when they were getting their asses handed to them and he was in catch up mode.

Or in 2018 when they went 3-5 where he threw 13 TDs to ten picks with six of those 13 against a gods awful Raiders team and a Rams team who had first place locked up. But wait, he had a 414 yard game.....when they were getting fucking crushed by the Seahawks.

Yeah, Nick Fucking Mullens, back up to Jimmy G, is the guy to prove the Packers would be fine without Rodgers.

Finally watched second half.  Love not nearly as bad as vs KC.  He made all the easy to moderate throws.  The first pass of the last drive where he overthrew EQ was on EQ.  If he keeps running instead of pulling up to jump for the ball it hits him in stride and it's a tie game.  That was an elite throw that EQ misplayed.

INT1 is on 8.

INT2 wasn't a bad decision.  It was a bad throw.  He had 19 for 1st if he throws that ball a couple more feet to his left.  I wonder if 10&19 just need more reps on their timing.

He didn't do anything that made you think he could be a franchise QB but I think he looked closer than many have suggested for a year 2 guy.

Last edited by DH13
@packerboi posted:

FWIW...

I knew Rodgers had a rough start in 2005-2006, but that is way worse than I realized.  I do remember thinking there was a pretty good chance that Rodgers wasn’t going to ever be “the guy” after 2006 was done.

2007 pre-season was a different story.  Favre looked very good that pre-season. But the biggest surprise to me was that Rodgers looked almost as good as Favre.  It was an incredible turnaround in just 1 off season.  And Rodgers got better each year going forward.

Who knows, maybe Love can make a turnaround like Rodgers did, but I won’t bet my 401k on it.

I wonder if his pass/rush ratio is so skewed by design, or if it's largely been dictated by game circumstances.
One thought I did have by the end of the Detoilet game was I didn't think MLF was helping Love with the plays he called. On 3rd and short (less than 3 yards), why not call an RPO or an intentional rush by Love? Give him a shot to convert other than a typical drop back pass.
I think if he could sustain some drives in actual game conditions, it would do a world of good for his confidence.

I'm not fully down on Love......yet.  I keep going back to the beginning of Rodgers' career where he looked pretty awful those first two seasons (mainly in preseason and regular season clean up).  There was not a whole lot of hope until Rodgers came in to that Cowboys game midway through his 3rd season and looked phenomenal.  So I'm not done with Love.......but dang, he is definitely not ready to start next year.  You can see the talent though.  Even in the Lions game, you saw the aggressive throws he "could" make but you saw him also take what the defense gave him.  Just lacks consistency and still looks very tentative out there, which is not unusual for a QB with almost no NFL experience. 

I think the Packers bring Rodgers back and mortgage the future to bring everyone back for one more run in 2022.  Franchise Adams and restructure about 5 deals to free up cap room.  After that though, the cap becomes a total nightmare and Rodgers has that out in 2023, which I think he takes.  Then it's Love's team in 2023 for a complete rebuild.  He has 2 seasons to show he's the real deal and we go from there.  Our path is going to look similar to the Saints this year except we roll with Love instead of Winston. 

From @lockedonpackers listener Brad:

"Jordan Love has been QB for 71 non-handoff/kneel down/spike plays.
62 passes, 6 rushes and 3 sacks. 421 total yards, 2 total TDs and 4 TO’s.

Aaron Rodgers first 71 plays?
54 passes, 8 rushes and 9 sacks. 318 total yards, 1 total TD and 4 TOs"

What does this mean ?

You don't know jack diddly squat
and the little diddly you once knew
...you forgot.

@fightphoe93 posted:

I knew Rodgers had a rough start in 2005-2006, but that is way worse than I realized.  I do remember thinking there was a pretty good chance that Rodgers wasn’t going to ever be “the guy” after 2006 was done.

2007 pre-season was a different story.  Favre looked very good that pre-season. But the biggest surprise to me was that Rodgers looked almost as good as Favre.  It was an incredible turnaround in just 1 off season.  And Rodgers got better each year going forward.

Who knows, maybe Love can make a turnaround like Rodgers did, but I won’t bet my 401k on it.

Remember that in 2020 there really wasn't a training camp and rookies suffered. This past year was Love's real first training camp. I think we will know more next year when in training camp when he's had a full camp and season.

@NumberThree posted:

Love's market value is at best a 5th or 6th rounder. Might be a good idea to trade him for a kicker or a long snapper to give Mason some competition or some help.

Brett Hundley was probably the worst guy to start at QB for the Packers in the last 30 years. He was only a 5th rounder to start with and didn't start games until his third year in Green Bay. He was 3-6 as a starter in 2017. His only wins were against the 0-16 Browns (Kizer), the 5-11 Bears (Trubisky), and the 5-11 Bucs (Winston). The Packers were shut out twice in his starts. His WRs were Adams, Cobb, and Nelson and his RBs were Aaron Jones and J. Williams. His OL included Bakh and Linsley. Hundley looked even worse than his stats and couldn't read a defense to save his life.

Despite all that, the Seahawks gave up a 6th rounder for Hundley.

Love likely had an end of the first round grade by several teams in 2020. He looked pedestrian, but not terrible, when he has played. He is still younger than Kenny Pickett (who will be a first round pick this year). He's 6'4, 220 and has spent the last two years in the QB room with one of the best QBs of all-time, the new head coach of the Broncos, and MLF.

I think they'll at least get a second rounder for him if they want to move him.

For as good as Rodgers played the last two years, he's still turns 39 this year. The likelihood of a soft tissue injury (hamstring, calf) that forces him to sit out a few games is pretty high.

Love still has value as a backup for the Packers, and unless you think Benkert is a viable backup you'd still have to either sign a veteran Fitzpatrick-like backup for more money that you are paying Love or draft a guy in the early rounds.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.