Skip to main content

I'm glad they banned the hip-drop. Man, when the tacklers landed on the backs of the legs of a ballcarrier, it almost always ended badly. I don't mind it if they don't land on or cut the legs out from under a guy sideways with a hip-drop (and I've seen where they can do that), but it's really dangerous to hip-drop a guy from behind. And I agree  it's getting really hard to play D in the NFL. 

@Timmy! posted:

Thumbs down to this new rule/penalty, not you personally.

It's hard to not acknowledge the 'intent', player safety, blah, blah, blah.
I just see it as something that will be called wildly inconsistent as are RTP, PI, or other calls that are subject to a refs interpretation.

In any case, we all ("me") had better learn to recognize these tackles, and how  they are called. The coaches better get a handle on this ASAP. Ditto the players.

Giving the zebras another excuse to fuck things up.

@Fandame posted:

I'm glad they banned the hip-drop. Man, when the tacklers landed on the backs of the legs of a ballcarrier, it almost always ended badly. I don't mind it if they don't land on or cut the legs out from under a guy sideways with a hip-drop (and I've seen where they can do that), but it's really dangerous to hip-drop a guy from behind. And I agree  it's getting really hard to play D in the NFL.

I agree. They did a good thing cutting that off before it went wild. It's a highly effective technique. It was a matter of time before it was adopted league wide by DBs. In the spirit of balance though I think they should police the playclock on the offense stricter. Maybe I'm remembering wrong but there was a time when 0 was 0 and the flag was thrown. There seems to be a lot of leeway with intentional grounding as well.

@titmfatied posted:

I agree. They did a good thing cutting that off before it went wild. It's a highly effective technique. It was a matter of time before it was adopted league wide by DBs. In the spirit of balance though I think they should police the playclock on the offense stricter. Maybe I'm remembering wrong but there was a time when 0 was 0 and the flag was thrown. There seems to be a lot of leeway with intentional grounding as well.

Put a vibrator in the umpires pocket.

I see the #12 topic thread is closed so thought I could post this here:

New York Jets star quarterback Aaron Rodgers unfortunately only played four snaps last season before rupturing his Achilles tendon. This led to Rodgers taking a laughably low amount of performance-based pay last season which he likely wishes he never even received.

Every player who steps onto the field earns a certain amount of performance-based pay from the NFL. The system itself is in place to reward players who may be on a lower salary, but played quite frequently for their respective team.

Naturally, you would expect that Rodgers’ performance-based pay would have been very low considering he only play four snaps on the year.

But the figures are actually quite laughable, as nearly every American working a 9-5 job likely received more money in a single day of work than Rodgers did in the entire season off of his performance-based pay alone.

According to ESPN’s Adam Schefter, Rodgers received $81.14 through the league’s performance-based pay system, which is the lowest of any NFL player last season.    

Packers can’t possibly go into training camp relying on only the draft to fill Inside Linebacker and Safety, right? They have virtually no depth there other than a few unproven youngsters. I think Gute has to get a low costing vet or two, right.

i don’t think he goes for another splash signing. I’m thinking more of a1-year “prove it” deal for a vet or two. Couple of available guys who might be cheap:

Shaq Leonard, Kwon Alexander, Zach Cunningham, Troy Reader all might go for one year deals.

Any other?  What about Safety?

Last edited by PackLandVA

Packers announce they have signed offensive tackle Andre Dillard, a former first round selection for the Eagles.

@TomSilverstein:  The #Packers announced they have signed T Andre Dillard, a former 1st round pick of the #Eagles in '19. After 4 years there, he played with the #Titans in '23. He's a potential replacement for Yosh Nijman, who they let go in free agency, and depth if they don't draft a T early.

@SharpFootball:

Andre Dillard was a massive liability for the Titans O-Line last year

he ranked dead last of 38 left tackles in pressure rate allowed and gave up the NFL's most sacks

collectively, the Titans ranked #30 in pressure rate allowed

and the OL allowed contact at/behind the line on 49% of RB carries, ranking #26

Last edited by ilcuqui

Dillard had a RAS of 9.79

NextGen Stats ranked him 2nd among Tackles in "Production Score" and 1st in "Athleticism" and "Total Score" from the 2019 Combine, He was labeled as a Year 1 Starter.

No pick in the First Round (or any round for that matter) is a guarantee.

"he ranked dead last of 38 left tackles in pressure rate allowed and gave up the NFL's most sacks"

Yikes.   Must have seen something they liked or is he a camp body in case a T can't be found in the draft?

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.