Skip to main content

Oof, from starter to trade bait:

I'm not surprised that the Packers didn't make any trades.  I also won't be surprised if they don't make any big splashes in FA this year either.  They are going to have to make decisions on Bulaga, Lowrey, Tramon Williams, Fackrell, Martinez and Crosby.  Not mention a possible pay raise to Clark and Jones.  Most of the guys that are free agents, are not huge losses, but will need to be replaced. The Packers are going to need draft picks and cap space to fill out this roster. 

Hey Doc, here is what I think they should do.

Keep

• Bulaga, hopefully he gives a home town deal.  My guess is he will but will want a lot of guaranteed money.
  • Lowry already has been extended. 
  • Crosby, he can play another 2 or 3.
  • Lewis.  1 year deal if he wants to go one more.

Extend

• Clark.  Lock him up for 4 or 5 years.

Walk

• Fackrell.   We drafted Gary and paid the Smiths bros.  Simply can’t afford to give Kyler a 2nd deal.
  • Williams.  Unless he wants vet minimum, the money would be better used elsewhere.  
  • Martinez.   Someone will pay top 10 ILB money for his tackle numbers.   It better not be us.  
  • Gmo - productions not there.

Other Moves

• Take the cap hit on Graham.
  • Start talks with Jones next year.

There will be room for some spending under the cap.   The hardest thing is going to find ILBs that can contribute right away.  

Early Draft and FA targets

• ILB
  • WR
  • DT /DE
  • Swing Tackle (Maybe not, Light looked ok)
  • CB

Late Draft 

• WR depth
  • OL depth
  • ILB depth
  • CB depth

2021 is going to be a tough year.  Bahk, Linsey, A Jones, J Williams, King, and Clark are all due.   

Last edited by BrainDed

Only becomes a FA if unclaimed.

Edit: Here's the details.

New England waited to release Gordon after the trade deadline purposefully. Had they done it beforehand, he would have been an unrestricted free agent and could possibly join a contender that is competing against the Patriots in the AFC. Now, he'll be subject to waivers.

Last edited by michiganjoe

He’s released and coming off IR, the unanswered question is, why did they do it?

By all accounts it’s a tight-knit organization, like they know everything about everyone.  My guess is they found out he started using again.  Pure speculation but relapses happen and they never really gave a solid reason.

Last edited by Pistol GB

Heard a discussion on Gordon this week RE: Packers on local sports radio. 

Essentially said GB has the same WR in MVS . Except with Gordon, he's also a poor route runner. So we would be adding a speedster GB already has. What the Packers really need is a slot guy. I think GB envisioned that would be Shepard, it just never materialized. 

I would love to see Gutenheimer find the next Greg Jennings (minus the loony sister) in rounds 1-3 in the 2020 draft. This is supposedly a pretty deep draft at WR this year.

Pistol GB posted:

He’s released and coming off IR, the unanswered question is, why did they do it?

By all accounts it’s a tight-knit organization, like they know everything about everyone.  My guess is they found out he started using again.  Pure speculation but relapses happen and they never really gave a solid reason.

Sadly, a lot of people have put a cork in it 10 times and popped the cork 11 times.

JSO = reading Timesfour again. LOL

Gordon is a gifted 28-year-old who has severe substance-abuse issues. That the receiver-needy Patriots are willing to cut him now that he’s back from a minor knee injury is a big red flag, and you have to wonder what happened that would make the Patriots move on. If he’d relapsed, you’d think the league would have already suspended him again.

https://www.packersnews.com/st...-improved/4105914002

Link copied to your clipboard.