Skip to main content

GB absolutely needs to sign a FA safety.  Thomas or Collins does it for me.  

On the same note, the other safety might just be Jackson when its all said and done.  He sure looks like a good candidate for that position to me. 

Like to see more reporting to confirm this.

Last edited by michiganjoe

Yes, also heard on ESPN that Packers were in play for AB. Steelers probably love sending Brown to the Bills so the Pats have to defend him twice a year. Buffalo is perfect. 

I don't want to see the Pack blowing draft capital on a 32 year old WR.

Did you know AB was a rookie on the 2010-2011 Steelers team vs. the Pack in Super Bowl XLV?

Pakrz posted:

Barr to GB would be good entertainment if for nothing else than having him on the same team with 12 after all the drama.

I would be fine with Barr if they signed him as a mid-tier type of signing.  Plus, as I've said before, it'll be easier to murder his dog.

Per Ian Rap, he’s also reporting the Pack were never in the AB talks.

Good. A rookie HC does not need to be dealing with a Diva high priced player who has a very high potential to be a locker room cancer. 

Saw someone on Twitter commented that the Steelers can't reward Brown for his behavior by shipping him off to another SB contender with a HOF QB. Sending him to a losing team in an undesirable location (Buffalo) is a more fitting outcome. If Brown doesn't want to go then he will retire and the Steelers will still retain his rights. 

It was tough to find teams that were in on Antonio Brown, one of those teams though...the Packers. Green Bay was interested and looking to make moves per sources.

Pakrz posted:

It would be nice to know what Gute is/was willing to give up for Brown. 

Dude is a drama queen, but Brown and Adams would be stupid. 

I would take that over a safety any day, but Antonio Brown will get toxic eventually. It is in his DNA.

Yes if the compensation is a mid round pick and there's no guaranteed money then it's worth the risk, he's an impact player. I find that scenario hard to believe though. Brown is like every veteran player, he wants guaranteed $$'s. 

That's fine, he will be happy and highly productive as long as he's paid and the team is winning. Again everything relies on compensation for PIT and Brown...if the deals are modest and don't handicap the team then go for it. He wouldn't be the first headcase a team takes on to win a championship. If they want more than a 4th and he has high guaranteed $ demands then say no thanks. 

Agreed, even if they don't land Thomas or Collins there shouldn't be any reason we go into next season with Brice, Jones, or Greene sniffing a starting role. It will be a major failure by the FO if we're starting Tramon paired with one of those guys. 

Pakrz posted:

It would be nice to know what Gute is/was willing to give up for Brown. 

Well, the price has to have fallen, right?  

pkr_north posted:

brown is all about the benjamins.  that is all.

Well, yes. Is it so hard to think a player wants to make money while they can? If you mean he is selfish on the field, that is a different story

Silverstein actually makes a decent case for keeping Perry over Graham...

He has been an injury waiting to happen for much of his career, but over the past five years, he has averaged just over three missed games.

Over that span he has had 26 sacks, one interception, nine passes broken up and four forced fumbles. Altogether, the output wouldn’t seem worth the $11 million in cash he’s due this season. But when you see what lesser athletes with fewer sacks are about to get paid, you’ll think Perry is a bargain.

All the top edge rushers have been taken off the market because their team slapped a franchise tag on or signed them, so all that is available is a second- and third-string class of pass rushers who are going to break the bank simply because they are all that is available.

Look at some of their recent totals:

Preston Smith, Washington (26 years old): four seasons, 24 sacks, four interceptions, 13 pass break-ups, four forced fumbles.

Dante Fowler, Rams (24): four seasons, 17 missed games, 16 sacks, six passes broken up, four forced fumbles.

Trey Flowers, Patriots (25): four seasons, 18 missed games, 21 sacks, six pass break-ups, five forced fumbles.

Cameron Wake, Dolphins (37): five seasons, 11 missed games, 46.5 sacks, one interception, seven pass break-ups, 13 forced fumbles.

Ziggy Ansah, Lions (30): five seasons, 14 missed games, 40 sacks, one pass break-up, eight forced fumbles.

Za’Darius Smith, Ravens (26): four seasons, six missed games, 18.5 sacks, five pass break-ups, three forced fumbles.

It’s going to cost a lot more than $11 million to sign Preston Smith, Flowers, Ansah and possibly Za’Darius Smith. The market is flooded with cap space and not a lot of pass rushers so you can bet some teams will fall in love to the tune of $12-15 million per year with three or four in that group.

Meanwhile on Graham...

One reason the Packers are sticking with Graham is that they're desperately undermanned at the tight end position with converted wide receiver Robert Tonyan the only other option with NFL experience. The draft is full of tight ends, but in coach Matt LaFleur's first year, he's going to need some veterans.

The thing is, Graham isn't really a tight end. He's a wide receiver and LaFleur can't count on him being an effective blocker in the wide zone rushing attack he'll use. So, he'll be in search of tight ends anyway.

I'm no fan of Perry and maybe you think MF can rejuvenate Graham and make him productive again where MM couldn't, but there's no denying that Graham is 1) not the ideal fit TE for this scheme 2) isn't what he used to be as a threat vertically and 3) is a terrible fukking blocker when many of us would like to see MF improve the running game. I think we expected Graham to be that seam/Cover 2 busting vertical threat that we lost with Jordy and it could be true that MM shit his pants with how to use him, but regardless of what MM did with him I don't think he would have been a threat in the seam he used to be or even close to what Jordy was even if MM used him correctly. Perry is not exactly a dominant threat either and isn't worth his price tag at all, but I do see some value with his ability against the run and his age. Tough choice, in reality neither should be making what they're making and GB should have dealt with this depth issue at both positions a lot sooner. 

Link copied to your clipboard.